2011 Con Set
Old 01-14-2011, 11:04 PM #1
ender098
Veteran

-->
ender098 will become famous soon enough -->

Send a message via MSN to ender098 Send a message via Yahoo to ender098
Default 2011 Con Set

Just curious what everyone thinks of the 2011 Con set. I Loved the original "Special Missions Brazil" set. I think they DEFINITELY improved on the '86 set for the following reasons;

1.) NO MORE RED! Loved the different uniforms on the 1986 set, but not very tactical with the bright red!

2.) Mainframe has a Weapon!

3.) Wetsuit..not only is he NOT in a shiny silver wetsuit, but he's land based and looks cool as hell!

4.) Sparta. don't know much about her, but cool female figure!

5.) Cobra De Aco....always wanted one, but the 25th sculpt is way cooler IMHO!

Cons;

1.) Python Troops? Why not jungle Vipers?

2.) Price.

Ok, what's your opinion?

Last edited by Hammerfel : 01-15-2011 at 12:52 AM.

Old 01-15-2011, 12:55 AM #2
roguetiger
Veteran

-->
roguetiger is on a distinguished road -->

I'd love a Wet-Suit and a Tele-Viper, and a Dial-Tone and thats about it. MAYBE two of the Python Soldiers but yea.....

Old 01-15-2011, 01:30 AM #3
tycondrius23
Great Gorgon

-->
tycondrius23 is on a distinguished road -->

I love this set I want it I want it I want it . bare in mind this is just the con set there the club figures too like the extra ones to come isn't there ? well in 2009 you had the crimson strike team and then the international set seperatly . but the reasoning behind the trooper over viper is i'm guessing that the vipers were already made with the conquest and the jungle viper is already out in the POC line they prob didn't want fans getting confused over with Jungle viper was which

Con Set
Old 01-15-2011, 05:52 AM #4
rds13601
I'm insane

-->
rds13601 is on a distinguished road -->
Thumbs down Con Set

I really dug the Wet Suit!! Bout time. Also like Leatherneck. The Python troops were ok but 300 dollars for a set or any set is ridiculous! Kids might want one! Lower your prices Hasbro!! Make the Con sets affordable for everyone!! Just my take!!

Old 01-15-2011, 07:38 AM #5
SIC DETH
frozn 4 awhile

-->
SIC DETH is on a distinguished road -->

I like everything about this set, except the price.
Yeah they are all repaints, but cool repaints!!!!

Whos Da Masta

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrXSWI0oWHg

Old 01-15-2011, 08:38 AM #6
dancontrino
That guy

-->
dancontrino is on a distinguished road -->

Unless I enter a different tax bracket, I refuse to pay appx $22 for a figure that doesn't transform into Daisy Duke at midnight!

Old 01-15-2011, 09:06 AM #7
turner
Veteran

-->
turner is on a distinguished road -->

The Python Patrol Trooper is excellent, the televiper is almost right. Cobra de Aco is almost right. The rest are just re-imagined, which would be cool in some other situation, but I was hoping for the styles of the original set. Don't get me wrong, the wet-suit is a great figure, it's just not the special missions brazil wetsuit. I would have liked these guys much better if they had just been some generic rumble in the jungle set instead of the brazil team, since then I was wanting them done like their 80's counterparts. The red on mainframe would have been tons better than that weird donut color.

Old 01-15-2011, 12:54 PM #8
roguetiger
Veteran

-->
roguetiger is on a distinguished road -->

Quote:
Originally Posted by rds13601
I really dug the Wet Suit!! Bout time. Also like Leatherneck. The Python troops were ok but 300 dollars for a set or any set is ridiculous! Kids might want one! Lower your prices Hasbro!! Make the Con sets affordable for everyone!! Just my take!!

Its not Hasbro putting the prices on these....its Master Collector... Hasbro loans them the molds to make the figures... The pricing is ALL Master Collectors doing.. 25th was supposedly cheaper than paying to store all the ARAH molds that Hasbro didn't want... So Brian charges MORE for the 25th figs and banks the profit.

Last edited by roguetiger : 01-15-2011 at 07:15 PM.

Old 01-15-2011, 01:11 PM #9
Lava Boss
Veteran

-->
Lava Boss is on a distinguished road -->

The themes are uninspired, but I guess they appeal to some. I'm surprised Special Missions Brazil wasn't revisisted sooner.

And the Joes are at least part of the main set, not just Cobra/Enemy characters.

But, they didn't add much beyond 2 foreign character guest stars. You know, maybe add Python Patrol members or Brazil team members? Maybe the souvenirs will. It just seems like they stuck to the retro box, aside from some color scheme changes, which actually some people didn't want.

They can lazily do 25th versions of ARAH releases for the next few years. Night Force's roster, the Marauders, Tiger Force, whatever...without adding anything to the mythos. What made some past Con sets appealling, (even to some cheap collectors like me) were new ideas/new or unmade characters/teams.

I've never gotten a con set, only a few after market figures. So, it's not like I'm the target audience anyway.

Con Set!!
Old 01-16-2011, 07:40 AM #10
rds13601
I'm insane

-->
rds13601 is on a distinguished road -->
Thumbs down Con Set!!

Hey Brian at Master collector. You'll never get my money unless the set comes with a real beautiful coctail waitress with incredible flexibility. Woof!!