buying troubles
Old 09-21-2006, 02:23 PM #1
Mobius_1
The Ace Of Aces

-->
Mobius_1 is on a distinguished road -->

Send a message via MSN to Mobius_1
Default buying troubles

There's a flea market near me that has a shop selling old joes. i really want to get the MAmba that's there and a H.I.S.S. but I feel as if i'd be destroying history. should I be this worried?

Old 09-21-2006, 05:46 PM #2
Bayer
Self-Important

-->
Bayer is on a distinguished road -->

Why? Are you planning to do customizations? I've done custom work to "historic" pieces and the only reason I do is if it is a common piece or if the original is damaged. It also depends on the nature of your collection. I once collected for the "historic" reasons (the original figures, original equipment, etc.) but now it is for my own purposes. Some of the extreme equipment - Mamba for example, does not fall within my current interests and while I currently have a few of these pieces, I'm likely to put them on Ebay.

Destroying history is a personal perspective. Each of these toys have a story and they belong to their own legacy of time, but they are also toys to be played with and enjoyed. If the toy is incomplete or otherwise damaged; Do you want to restore it? Do you want to experiment with it and try building something new?

History is a perspective. How strongly do you feel that you would be destroying History?

Old 09-22-2006, 01:23 PM #3
Mobius_1
The Ace Of Aces

-->
Mobius_1 is on a distinguished road -->

Send a message via MSN to Mobius_1

Thanks, that made me feel better

Old 09-22-2006, 02:06 PM #4
Outrider
It's been a great ride!

-->
Outrider is on a distinguished road -->

Send a message via MSN to Outrider Send a message via Yahoo to Outrider

Go for it Mobius. History can't be changed, but the future is yet to be written! In other words, whatever you do to the vehicles will only add to their history, not destroy the journey thus far.

Old 09-22-2006, 08:02 PM #5
Sonneilon
aka 'Paul WS Anderson' ;)

-->
Sonneilon is on a distinguished road -->

Send a message via MSN to Sonneilon

HUH?

How do you guys get "destroying history" w/ modding and customizing?

I mean, you can't destroy 'history', but you can really screw up the vehicle. In other words, don't paint them f'n neon pink. lol

Old 09-22-2006, 08:43 PM #6
Wausauviper

-->
Wausauviper is on a distinguished road -->

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonneilon
In other words, don't paint them f'n neon pink. lol

Wouldn't that be that Eco monstrosity the "Septic Tank" ? Just kiding. But I will have to agree with what people have stated so far.

For example, I bought a BUGG about 6 months ago. when I got it, one of my friends found quite a few flaws with it. I had the same concerns you have about what to do. Then it hit me that the vehicle already had some major defects, and based on what I was thinking of using it for, a complete refit and paint scheme would work better than it's "Original" condition.

Like Bayer, Sonneilon, and Outrider have stated, it's a matter of perspective. It depends on the condition, your reasons, and what you are getting it for, The answer will present itself when the time is right, patience young padawan.

Old 09-23-2006, 05:54 PM #7
holesnipe
Veteran

-->
holesnipe is on a distinguished road -->

I think you should do what you want. I used to feel the same way about damaging a complete vehicle.. Once I destroyed a dragonfly for my dio story I realized that I was getting all "dramatic" for nothing. I'm not collecting these for an investment I collect them to entertain myself and share my ideas with people that have a similiar interest.. HACK GLUE SCREW PAINT.. GO HAVE FUN MAN....