Password

The Comic Box #23!!!
Old 06-06-2007, 06:15 PM #1
General Scarlett
Hell hath no fury....

-->
General Scarlett is on a distinguished road -->
Exclamation The Comic Box #23!!!

Welcome to The Comic Box. This is a discussion thread for the GI Joe comics. We start at Marvel’s #1 and move thru the series every Wednesday. It’s a chance to give your thoughts, opinions and remarks about the comic in question.

#23. Cobra Commander Captured At Last

~Short Summary~
Cobra Commander is captured in Switzerland, of all places, where Major Bludd has taken the Baroness for corrective plastic surgery.

~Notes of Interest~
Cobra Commander gets captured. The Baroness finally recovers from her injuries suffered in issue #16. She also gets her costume that we recognize from her action figure. We happily get to see just how finicky Roadblock is about food. A very enjoyable issue.
-summary from yojoe.com-

http://yojoe.com/comics/joe/joe23.shtml

-photo courtesy of yojoe.com-

Discuss away!

Coming soon: 'JoeSpecialOps'

Old 06-06-2007, 08:07 PM #2
Lava Boss
Veteran

-->
Lava Boss is on a distinguished road -->

Still rebuilding my comic collection, haven't read this one in years. I recall an oddly costumed person who happened to resemble Cobra Commander.

THe cover was...is... one of the best.

This was the first time I saw Storm Shadow, having missed #21, he's a killing machine in this issue IIRC.

Major Bludd employed 1920's style gangsters...or something?

Duke and Roadblock immediately become significant players...indeed RB's second appearance get his the first of quite a few cover shots.

Old 06-06-2007, 09:35 PM #3
maxtype
Veteran

-->
maxtype is on a distinguished road -->

Fun issue! Yes,this was one of Michael Golden's painted covers,a real beauty too!

Humor:Clutch sexually harassing Cover Girl,Bludd demanding the ransom in a "Gucci Suitcase",Roadblock's food critiques...........the Costume Festival...

Incidentally-I think the "Tommy-gun toting gangsters" were 'cuz of the Costume Festival.......either that,or the penciller was REALLY lazy............ (for non-comic fans out there,Marvel Comics worked 'Marvel Method',which is: the writer makes a quick plot,the artist actually tells the story in pencils,adding what's needed-then the writer dialogues the story based on the finished artwork.......this is a quick turnaround method,but it can lead to..........surprises.....Marvel had a LOT of lazy pencilers though,drawing WWII Nazi U-Boats when the story CLEARLY states 'Nuclear Attack Submarine'.Other company's,like DC,usually work from the writer's full-script,like a movie screenplay)

Old 06-06-2007, 11:52 PM #4
Outrider
It's been a great ride!

-->
Outrider is on a distinguished road -->

Send a message via MSN to Outrider Send a message via Yahoo to Outrider

Another of those great early issues. I haven't read this one in years, but iirc it's in this issue that Cobra Commander sucks a drink through a straw via a little hatch in his faceplate!

Old 06-07-2007, 03:25 AM #5
fightingswords

-->
fightingswords is on a distinguished road -->

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outrider
Another of those great early issues. I haven't read this one in years, but iirc it's in this issue that Cobra Commander sucks a drink through a straw via a little hatch in his faceplate!

that whould be next issue, #24 after the commander is captured and in the custody of the joes. The 25A battle mask CC has a removable helmet with the anti-tamper exposives as seen in #24

Old 06-07-2007, 06:13 AM #6
Flint
Lady 'J's #1 Man!!

-->
Flint is on a distinguished road -->
Thumbs up

I love this Issue!!! Great use of Characters, Clutch taking Roadblock down the side of the mountain to capture Cobra Commander!!! Classic!!!

Old 06-07-2007, 12:38 PM #7
Outrider
It's been a great ride!

-->
Outrider is on a distinguished road -->

Send a message via MSN to Outrider Send a message via Yahoo to Outrider

Quote:
Originally Posted by fightingswords
that whould be next issue, #24 after the commander is captured and in the custody of the joes. The 25A battle mask CC has a removable helmet with the anti-tamper exposives as seen in #24

Thanks for the correction! It's been a long time since I read these issues, and the memory is a little foggy!

Old 06-07-2007, 03:17 PM #8
maxtype
Veteran

-->
maxtype is on a distinguished road -->
Talking

Hey everyone,did Roadblock's descriptions of gourmet food make you hungry? They make me hungry!

Last edited by maxtype : 06-07-2007 at 03:58 PM. Reason: bad punctuation