 |
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
 |
06-05-2008, 02:48 PM
|
#1
|
|
Resolute fanboi
Offline
-->
Posts: 4,184
-->
Join Date: Jan 2008
|
duke, as well as many other joes have backgrounds in martial arts.
But its not his main characteristic - as a Ninja Master Snake Eyes would have more to say on that matter (no pun intended), I really think that Scarlett would be attracted to someone who was a Master more then someone who just did some martial arts - because basically all of the joes has some martial arts training.
Quick Kick for example would be just as good a choice for her as Duke would if you put it that way.
also i see he and scarlett actually getting more time alone then she would with snake eyes.
huh? How so? - Duke has responsibilities beyond a normal trooper, wouldn't it be the other way around?
and as i said, he leaves her at the alter once a week, any girls no alter what they self esteem is will leave the guy in time.
Well they have a long history - compare it to people who beat their wives - its hard for the wives to leave  (yeah I know crude comparison, but I think you get my point with the psychological effect)
i would put her with anyone but snake eyes. have you noticed that snake eyes always has to have either storm shadow or scarlett with him. so they can tell the reader what he is thinking, i dont like that part of him either.
Most of the time they don't say what he is thinking - I think he does an excellent job on that on his own. I think that in the cartoon he got underused because the people who made the cartoon didn't know what to do with a mute character.
??? i dont see how a black guy rhyming would be racist??? do you mean because of rap or something? was rap even around back then, i dont remember it.[/QUOTE]
G.I. Joe: The Movie :1987
Hip hop lyricism saw its biggest change with the popularity of Run-D.M.C.'s Raising Hell in the mid-1980s
The 1980s saw a huge wave of commercialized rap music
the 1980s were characterized by verses mostly constrained to straightforward structures and rhyme schemes,
(taken from wikipedia)
Rap was at its height in the late 80's early 90's - The whole hip hop culture had its "golden age" about then (well its when it got popular). Heck you even have Snake Eyes Break dancing at one time in the cartoons!
i dont see this. duke was the all american, spirit was spiritual, bazooka was dumb, wildbill was different, roadblock rhymed, shipwreck was goofy, quick kick did the voices, beach head was stern, storm shadow although bad had honor, mutt was quick tempered. the comic everyone was all american, serious about their jobs and never joked, except clutch.
[/QUOTE]
If you still have some of the old comics, I would suggest you take a look at them again - the background for the characters are actually very well thought out, and deeper then the cartoons - which I still think to closely resembles one another.
Duke may be all american, but so is Flint, Lady Jaye, Beachhead etc. - Truth be told I never got Duke, in the comics nor cartoon, it wasn't until the devils due made him an ex-secret agent that I started to like him.
Spirit was spiritual - but so was Snake Eyes and Storm Shadow with their eastern spirituality.
Bazooka was dumb, but so was Falcon, and a whole host of other characters just to make the series funny for the kids.
I can't even remember wildbill,so no comment there.
Rhyming Roadblock I have covered already - I just found it annoying (but again I didn't grow up with the cartoons)
I could go on - but I'll rather just agree to disagree here (as this would go on forever  )
__________________
Arguing on the internet is like competing in the special Olympics - You may win, but you are still retarded
Last edited by haradrel : 06-05-2008 at 02:54 PM.
|
|
|
|
06-06-2008, 10:37 AM
|
#2
|
|
Troops of Doom
Offline
-->
Posts: 7,603
-->
Join Date: Apr 2008
|
I voted no.
I had been hardcore into the comic long before I seen the movie or cartoon. With the comic being more mature and realistic (as far as they could go under the Comic Code Authority, anyway), the animated side of GI Joe felt like a step backwards for me.
Don’t worry, I’m not bashing the movie or cartoon. I’m sure if I’d seen them before the comic I would have enjoyed them lot it more. It’s just a matter of first impressions.
(Off topic but speaking of comics, did anybody read Larry Hama’s Nth Man back in the day? There’s some figures I’d like to see made.)
These polls are great, keep them coming.
|
|
|
|
06-06-2008, 08:12 PM
|
#3
|
|
Lady 'J's #1 Man!!
Offline
-->
Posts: 7,849
-->
Join Date: Dec 2006
|
Personally for me I liked it, but I wish they would have introduced more characters from the 87 line & down played Cobra-La a little bit. 
__________________

Coming Soon: G.I. JOE: Project "Z"
and in production G.I. JOE: COBRA UNITED
|
|
|
|
06-05-2008, 02:41 PM
|
#4
|
|
Crusty Ol MWO
Offline
-->
Posts: 2,994
-->
Join Date: Oct 2006
|
I voted yes I loved it because as a kid I really did, seeing it as an adult, while I still liked aspects of it the whole Cobra-La thing really does nothing for me especially the whole Cobra La la la la la, battle cry which was annoying the first time, and really gets annoying after that. I also agree that it would have been better if Duke had died, I think it would have given the movie more meaning. I for one liked the character of Falcon, and I still like the figure. As far as the Duke/Scarlett, Scarlett/Snake Eyes romance, I always thought the latter was a better story, the beauty and the beast idea of it is more appealing, and she still takes him back every time. Duke and Scarlett was too predictable, beautiful woman, and the handsome All American guy.
__________________
SILENT DUSTY
"...but for a soldier his duty is plain. He is to obey the orders of all those placed over him and whip the enemy wherever he meets him."
- General Ulysses S. Grant
|
|
|
|
06-05-2008, 02:58 PM
|
#5
|
|
Crossover King Emeritus
Offline
-->
Posts: 1,472
-->
Join Date: Feb 2005
|
Quote:
|
Originally Posted by lehsreh
i got the cartoons, and hadnt read a comic until about 3 years ago and found the first so many rich in story, but lacking big time in characteristics. everyone in the cartoons had a different attitude, whereas the comic everyone was all alike, except a few like clutch. its like duke, flint, zap or stalker could be the same person.
|
Boom! I say that all the time! I would love to set up a "blind taste test" for G.I. Joe comics-- Just read various lines from the likes of Hawk, Duke, Flint, Stalker, etc., alound, and see if anyone can tell who said what! They all read like the same person to me... Which is weird, because Larry Hama proved on other titles (most notably Wolverine), that he can write characters with different voices.
On the other hand, I think many characters on the cartoon would be easily recognizable based on a blind reading of their lines. Not all of them, mind you --I will admit that-- But many of them had different enough ways of speaking that there would be differences. Some of them may be stereotypical (Roadblock rhyming, Ace's poker puns, Spirit's Indian mysticism, etc.), but at least the writers tried to make them sound different: Duke was the "man of action" leader-type, Flint was the more personable leader, Shipwreck was the grouch with a heart of gold, Barbecue was always wryly sarcastic, and so on. Of course, much of this can be attributed to the excellent vocal work by some of the premier voice actors of the 80s, but I still maintain that many of their lines could be recognized without the specific actors reading them.
None of this is to say that I prefer one continuity over the other, though. I love the comics for their complex storylines, serialized nature, and soap operatics. However, I also enjoy the cartoon (even more in recent years than ever before) for really bringing the Joe characters to life. If there was some way to put the cartoon characters into the comic's storyline, I would call that the ultimate G.I. Joe universe.
__________________

is on indefinite hiatus...
|
|
|
|
| Thread Tools |
|
|
| Display Modes |
Hybrid Mode
|
Posting Rules
|
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
HTML code is On
|
|
|
Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.6 Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Style Design By: vBStyles.com
|
 |