Password

Which camera to buy?
Old 08-16-2012, 06:58 AM #1
tria
Veteran

-->
tria is on a distinguished road -->
Default Which camera to buy?

Finally I found the money to buy a better digital camera and a tripod for my joe-photos and my upcoming joe-dio-story...

Could you help me out with this one, because I am a total newbie? (recommended models, what should my camera have, which camera do you use in your joe photos etc)??

Thank you!!

Old 08-16-2012, 07:39 AM #2
pbarny1701
Teaching The Next Gen

-->
pbarny1701 is on a distinguished road -->

Send a message via AIM to pbarny1701 Send a message via MSN to pbarny1701 Send a message via Yahoo to pbarny1701

1st question: what is the budget. After that, answers can come. It does no good to recommend a $500 camera if the budget is $400 etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Friedman
In China, Bill Gates is Britney Spears. In America, Britney Spears is Britney Spears. That's our problem

My Blog, Pics and More
Customs Blog
Add Yoursel to MY MAP
Me on Facebook

Is for constructive criticism (will even settle for destructive) just anything but "Nice shot" or "Awesome".

Old 08-17-2012, 12:41 AM #3
tria
Veteran

-->

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbarny1701
1st question: what is the budget. After that, answers can come. It does no good to recommend a $500 camera if the budget is $400 etc.

sorry!

The budget is 400$ - 500$ for camera.

Old 08-17-2012, 09:24 AM #4
troopsofdoom
Troops of Doom

-->
troopsofdoom is on a distinguished road -->

The advice I got from professionals was simply buy the most expensive camera you can afford. Nikon is the best, Cannon second.

Old 08-17-2012, 10:08 AM #5
lardman

-->
lardman is on a distinguished road -->

I suppose the next question would be what lenses (and flash equipment) are necessary in order to get the types of shot you want, so you can work out the cost of a body (or the spec of a bridge camera), etc.?

Old 08-18-2012, 07:13 AM #6
Lt. Faceless

-->
Lt. Faceless is on a distinguished road -->

It depends on how you shot.(i am by no means a pro at this,so take all my advice with a grain of salt).When i was looking,i went with megapixal count and i got the best(16.3 MP) i could find at the time.As far as flash goes,if outside,i let the sun be my flash.If inside,i use prop lights,i only use flash if i have too.I have a Sony by theway.

Old 08-18-2012, 11:31 AM #7
M1General
El Hombre

-->
M1General is on a distinguished road -->

You might not have to spend that much, Amazon has a good selection of Nikon 16.1 mp cameras for under $200. But if your like me and want to see it up close, Best Buy/HH Gregg have a decent range of Nikon 16.1 in the $2-300 range. Save your money for the accessories.

Old 08-18-2012, 10:30 PM #8
lardman

-->

I'm also no expert, but this is what I'd suggest. By all means chip in with corrections/comments.

I'd also check the macro mode and how close you can focus, and also how easy it is to manually focus the camera (assuming we're talking about "bridge" cameras, i.e. high-end point and shoot with a single non-changeable lens) to make sure you get the right thing in focus.

The f-stop the camera can shoot at will determine how easily you can create "out of focus" backgrounds (smaller the better f stop setting - this also varies with lens zoom), though you'd probably need to either try for yourself or see some example images (which perhaps people could provide with example cameras - I'll do something this afternoon with my Finepix HS20 if it's of interest)

Being able to shoot raw might be of interest, if you want to do lots of manipulation after the fact, though I imagine that JPEGs will be fine for most people (me included so far).

Not a biggie, but can the camera be triggered remotely to avoid camera shake if you're shooting a low light scene?

Last but not least, if you decide to go with external flashes (or think you might one day - see the recent thread on them), does the camera have a hot shoe or a PC sync (I know nothing about the latter), with which you can attach either a physical flash (via a cable if necessary) or an RF trigger to trigger unconnected flash units.

Old 08-19-2012, 02:29 PM #9
tria
Veteran

-->

Quote:
Originally Posted by lardman
I suppose the next question would be what lenses (and flash equipment) are necessary in order to get the types of shot you want, so you can work out the cost of a body (or the spec of a bridge camera), etc.?

maybe...but first need to buy a proper camera!

So, the conclusion from here until now is
A Nikkon or a cannon (thanks troopsofdoom) but I will save money for accessories
(thanks M1general). It seems that an aditional lens would be necessary..

Then, I will check the macro mode, f-stop etc (thank you lardman).

About lighting I will go with Lt faceless advice (thanks!)

I would like to go to a shop but I dont feel comfortably specifying to the employee in the shop the main use of the camera... Fortunately, there is internet...

Old 08-20-2012, 05:48 AM #10
lardman

-->

Quote:
Originally Posted by tria
maybe...but first need to buy a proper camera!

So, the conclusion from here until now is
A Nikkon or a cannon (thanks troopsofdoom) but I will save money for accessories
(thanks M1general). It seems that an aditional lens would be necessary..

Then, I will check the macro mode, f-stop etc (thank you lardman).

About lighting I will go with Lt faceless advice (thanks!)

I would like to go to a shop but I dont feel comfortably specifying to the employee in the shop the main use of the camera... Fortunately, there is internet...

If you're going for a DSLR then no need to worry too much about the macro mode and f-stop as the camera should be able to do the job as long as you have the right lens (I was commenting more if you were planning to buy a high-end single lens bridge camera). The only thing you might look at is what lens packages they do with the camera and choose the one that will work for what you plan to shoot.

If you want to discuss in the shop I guess you could say you want to take shots of flowers/insects/plants/something else that's about the same scale as a Joe.

HTH