Password

Chapters or ONE BIG DIO?
Old 04-18-2006, 08:36 PM #1
Luke Ellison
Veteran

-->
Luke Ellison is on a distinguished road -->
Default Chapters or ONE BIG DIO?

Dunno if I've asked this here or not, but as I'm storyboarding my next dio, I have the chance and pacing option to break the story into three segments (the middle of which being 4 times longer than the first and twice as long as the ending) or doing another novel style all-in-one package.

I like that breaking it up adds excitement for the next chapter and it can be read more conveniently than say a big story with no breaks... but then I like that some dios go from start to finish like a movie and I want my dios to be cinematic and less episodic... but I dont want people to get tired while reading.

So, yeah, I'm torn here... any suggestions?

Old 04-18-2006, 11:43 PM #2
phu
Veteran

-->
phu is on a distinguished road -->

Send a message via AIM to phu

I think it depends on a few things... for me it'd be how long it's going to end up being if you do it in one piece, and whether you could keep your own momentum going with multiple parts.

Like you said, if it's TOO long, then doing it in one piece is hard on the reader. However, personally, I have a hard time doing part of something to the point where I can release it, then picking up again where I left off (see my morbidly neglected storyline).

Perhaps something in the middle? If you split it into just two pieces, maybe it'd be less like episodes and more like, say, an intermission.

Old 04-19-2006, 07:17 AM #3
ToneGuns
Veteran

-->
ToneGuns is on a distinguished road -->

Send a message via MSN to ToneGuns

Luke,

Go for chapters.

Old 04-19-2006, 09:07 AM #4
Sonneilon
aka 'Paul WS Anderson' ;)

-->
Sonneilon is on a distinguished road -->

Send a message via MSN to Sonneilon

I know we talked about this a few weeks ago, but I didn't suggest this. What if you made a page/chapter index? In a way, we get into semantics here. The 1st part of the dio you already posted, is that PART 1 or is it Chapter1? Or are you considering them episodes? You can break down parts and episodes into chapters, but how do you break down chapters into chapters?

Like, the 1st section of Sanguis, I began to wonder just how long it was. By Page20 (or so), I was really beginning to wonder how long it was. Like Phu said, you get past a certain #, it can become too long. So if you decide that this next section is PART2 of Sanguis Legacy, I totally suggest breaking down into chapters. There's no reason why you couldn't jam all the chapters into the 2nd part.

Working on "Transformation", Chapter2 is made up of different parts. They are short enough that I wouldn't need a page index (tho JoeDebriefed gives you one whether you like it or not). If you're thinking in movie terms, consider each change of scenery a chapter. Or look at the chapter index on a DVD. It's all broken down into chapters/parts.

I'd say Chapters and they make up Part2 of Sanguis Legacy. Or Episode 2 of Sanguis Legacy. However you want to phrase it in the end.

Old 04-19-2006, 09:56 AM #5
yorktownjoe
Enjoying the season

-->
yorktownjoe is on a distinguished road -->

I agree with Sonneilon about the DVD breakdown concept. I have small children, so I usually have to watch DVD's or longer dios in multiple viewings. It's not ideal, but it is what it is. Also, the Seinfeld psychological concept of "leaving on a high note" or leaving the fans "wanting more" is a valuable tool. This also drives us back over and over to the site to see if there is an update. So I would say chapters/parts are the way to go.

(But what do I know, I've only been contributing photos...)

Seriously, I admire all of your work, and I find myself visiting on a daily basis. I have ideas in my mind of what I'd like to do, but time is not at a surplus right now.

Take care, and I look forward to new dios in the future!

Old 04-19-2006, 05:24 PM #6
Violentfix
Veteran

-->
Violentfix is on a distinguished road -->

You're last Dio's length was a perfect read. If it got much longer than it may have been a little too long for one sitting. I say stick with your formula unless the story will lose people in the read. It's worth the wait.

Old 05-05-2006, 07:53 PM #7
Buckwheat826
Veteran

-->
Buckwheat826 is on a distinguished road -->

Chapters.

Old 05-06-2006, 12:20 AM #8
Crippler SD

-->
Crippler SD is on a distinguished road -->

Send a message via AIM to Crippler SD

The style used for The Sanguis Legacy was a breath of fresh air. A change of pace is nice every once in awhile. That said, my personal preference is the chapter format. I don't think you lose anything by going with an alternate route, but my preference does lie with the chapters. I will say that chapters seem easier to plan with, as you can have as many chapters as you want. With the singular format, you run into length issues (is it too short? Too long?).

You can be variant and use whatever strikes you as the way to go at that particular moment. Doing some chapter works, then firing off a one-shot dio just to break up the pace, for example.

Really though, I don't think you can go wrong with either. Yeah, I know that doesn't help choose. As long as something gets released, I can't say I'd find fault with either method.

Old 05-25-2006, 11:55 AM #9
Renegade
Veteran

-->
Renegade is on a distinguished road -->

chapters are better. feels more like a serialized thing that you have an idea of how soon it's going to return

Regenesis: The Return to The Killing Fields
Born Again

"...and they formed a band the likes of which have never been seen! And they called themselves Renegade and LRRP"