PDA

View Full Version : Whats up with no description in pics?

roguetiger
01-29-2012, 09:40 PM
Just curious about why a lot of people aren't putting a description in with pics...or just saying "I hope you like the pic"....I like to read what the photographer was thinking about when the pic was taken or just basically a brief description in the story behind it.. I just find it offensive when you say something about the pic and then the photographer gripes you out cause so and so wasn't in the pic but yet you can't tell it cause there's NO description...or just titling the pic with no story behind it. That or if you give a little critique to help someone and they take offense... I thought that's what the whole posting of pics were for besides being told GREAT PIC....but whats the story behind it??? Just over 1/2 of the pics in the latest photos category are this way... I guess it could be just me though. :confused:

Stereoevil
01-30-2012, 07:01 AM
i also like ready the description in the pics. i also know i'm an offender when it comes to writing something about my pic. i guess i feel self conscience about what i write, it takes alot for me to even post a pic, and i haven't posted many. the level of alot of the posters here is just amazing. In the future, since i like reading descriptions, i will take into consideration that other people do as well and i will try to get into the scene alittle more by describing what's going on. thanks for bringing this up, i've got alot of ideas and this may push me to be a better photographer and creative writer.

thanks rogue.

Dreadnok Dread
01-30-2012, 12:42 PM
retracting my statements dont wanna deal with the bs.... no time.... :D

zedhatch
01-31-2012, 07:04 AM
I actually think some people take this hobby way too seriously and need to lighten up (or at least take a laxitive).

As for having your own work to back up opinions, I have to say I can't draw worth a crap, but I can recognize a good drawing.

Positive renforcement-if that's why you post you will always be disappointed, this is the internet where ass like opinions are protected by the sheild of the screen. but in your example:

First of mention something good that they did in the shot something that works and helps out with the over all project, you give positive re enforcement then you add what they can fix or what not. You don't just jump in and say that's a good shot but it would have been way better if, your not helping nor engaging the person.

You said not to do exactly what you said to do.

If you want sunshine and roses for everything you do, well not going to happen. I've been doing stuff like this since 2002, and I have been called a jerk, jackass, tons of other explicitives I won't repeat here, told I'm wasting my time, wasting the internet space, an all around waste, and on and on, and each time it starts to get me down come to one conclusion-EFF 'EM. You can't please everyone no matter how hard you try and you can't let that one assclown bring you down. This is something we do for enjoyment (or at least it's supposed to be. I mean these are TOYS, the name inplys a sence of fun very strongly).

As for descriptions, yep they need to get better, not sure what can be done to change that though, if people aren't going to talk about their pics then what can you do.

temedoro15
01-31-2012, 08:53 AM
I also think the descriptions should be at the autor's election. There are some pics explicit at clear enough to understand what's what and what's happening there, though a lot of pics are not, in those a description would really help the viewers. In general is cool to see a background story or the intentions of the autor to know what he was trying to achieve and some tips to do it.

I also agree with zedhatch about the fun. Even if making dios is how you make your living (is that even possible? I'd like to, hehe), you should try to have fun with it and if you are going to post your work somewhere, be ready to receive critiques. To criticize is something good and should be encouraged, it has nothing to do with being an offensive troll and everything to do with being critic (evaluate, analize, point out good or bad things). It's a reality that not everyone is going to like your work, whether that be a mere liking even when the work is outstanding (i.e. "I don't like dreadnoks at all") or 'cause it isn't a good work.

And lastly, I think the noobest of noobs can also come with a great critique or comment, you don't have to be an expert to notice something wrong or to know something that might help the autor. People should always try to say something useful here, but it has nothing to do with your dio-resume...

Dreadnok Dread
01-31-2012, 09:22 AM

Dreadnok Dread
01-31-2012, 09:35 AM