PDA

View Full Version : Nyc people. I need help

Agent X
11-09-2006, 11:45 AM
Where can i get paints for figures like testors? anywhere in manhattan or the near bronx is fine

Where do i get foam board? I'm guessing a hardware store but if anyone knows a place for cheap. let me know.

Thanks

Sonneilon
11-09-2006, 12:30 PM
You can go into any hobby store to find Testor's paints. You should be able to go into any toy store and find it too. ie; if the toy store has models, they'll have it.

As for foamboard, your best bet is an art store. I believe Michael's carries it too but not to the same degree as a small private art shop would.

Agent X
11-11-2006, 06:25 AM
thanks. i'm not near a micheals so that doesn't apply. i'm ore after the paint. but what u said about hobby shops is not entirely accurate believe it or not. The biggest hobby store in nyc is Forbidden planet which used to be a a big deal back in the days has gundam models and car models but get this, NO PAINT. That's like mcdonalds with no fries imo.

Sonneilon
11-11-2006, 10:04 AM
DUDE! That's retarded! I think even TRU carries paints for their plastic models! I suppose you could always order online. *shrug*

brineb
11-12-2006, 05:12 AM
You can try Pearl Paint on Canal Street in Manhattan. They are a big art supply store, many floors. They should have everything you need.

Sgt_DP
11-13-2006, 05:17 AM
I would try a role playing store... "Citadel Paints" is what I use to touch up my guys and vehicles too.

http://uk.games-workshop.com/storefront/store.uk

This is a general link. It covers mainly painting the minitures... some fine detailed work and ideas that I have used on my guys. I like them because they dry fast and look great. They also have alot of colors to closely match G I Joe Figures that you want to restore.

Stormer
11-13-2006, 05:27 AM
I've used Citadel Paints on Joes, although it will wear/flake around the figures' joints (I've yet to find a paint that won't!)

There's a Games Workshop store in Manhattan -- I'm 90% sure it's on W8th (was living in NYC for a year). They'll have paints, brushes and other supplies.

*I didn't do anything to this post. I accidentally hit EDIT instead of QUOTE cuz I was replying to this, uh post. Sorry.* :eek:

Sonneilon
11-13-2006, 09:00 AM
Rumor has it that the Testor's paints don't chip. Or at least, oil-based paints won't. Which is why THIS dude is asking us for Testor stores! lol. I've used GW paints simply cuz that's all i have around the house. Sure, I'd go Testors but that means buying 'em and learning how to clean the brushes.

Outrider
11-13-2006, 09:54 AM
Ive always used Humbrol or Revell enamels. They are super tough and come in a semi-matt finish which matches the Hasbro factory paint finish pretty well. the only drawback is the mineral turpentine clean up, but that's a small price to pay for superior paint.