PDA

View Full Version : The Comic Box #23!!!

General Scarlett
06-06-2007, 06:15 PM
Welcome to The Comic Box. This is a discussion thread for the GI Joe comics. We start at Marvel’s #1 and move thru the series every Wednesday. It’s a chance to give your thoughts, opinions and remarks about the comic in question.

#23. Cobra Commander Captured At Last

~Short Summary~
Cobra Commander is captured in Switzerland, of all places, where Major Bludd has taken the Baroness for corrective plastic surgery.

~Notes of Interest~
Cobra Commander gets captured. The Baroness finally recovers from her injuries suffered in issue #16. She also gets her costume that we recognize from her action figure. We happily get to see just how finicky Roadblock is about food. A very enjoyable issue.
-summary from yojoe.com-

http://yojoe.com/comics/joe/joe23.shtml

http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o47/PrncsLeia/DSC02242_edited.jpg
-photo courtesy of yojoe.com-

Discuss away!

Lava Boss
06-06-2007, 08:07 PM
Still rebuilding my comic collection, haven't read this one in years. I recall an oddly costumed person who happened to resemble Cobra Commander.

THe cover was...is... one of the best.

This was the first time I saw Storm Shadow, having missed #21, he's a killing machine in this issue IIRC.

Major Bludd employed 1920's style gangsters...or something?

Duke and Roadblock immediately become significant players...indeed RB's second appearance get his the first of quite a few cover shots.

maxtype
06-06-2007, 09:35 PM
Fun issue! Yes,this was one of Michael Golden's painted covers,a real beauty too!

Humor:Clutch sexually harassing Cover Girl,Bludd demanding the ransom in a "Gucci Suitcase",Roadblock's food critiques...........the Costume Festival...

Incidentally-I think the "Tommy-gun toting gangsters" were 'cuz of the Costume Festival.......either that,or the penciller was REALLY lazy............ :D (for non-comic fans out there,Marvel Comics worked 'Marvel Method',which is: the writer makes a quick plot,the artist actually tells the story in pencils,adding what's needed-then the writer dialogues the story based on the finished artwork.......this is a quick turnaround method,but it can lead to..........surprises.....Marvel had a LOT of lazy pencilers though,drawing WWII Nazi U-Boats when the story CLEARLY states 'Nuclear Attack Submarine'.Other company's,like DC,usually work from the writer's full-script,like a movie screenplay)

Outrider
06-06-2007, 11:52 PM
Another of those great early issues. I haven't read this one in years, but iirc it's in this issue that Cobra Commander sucks a drink through a straw via a little hatch in his faceplate!

fightingswords
06-07-2007, 03:25 AM
[QUOTE=Outrider]Another of those great early issues. I haven't read this one in years, but iirc it's in this issue that Cobra Commander sucks a drink through a straw via a little hatch in his faceplate![/QUOTE]
that whould be next issue, #24 after the commander is captured and in the custody of the joes. The 25A battle mask CC has a removable helmet with the anti-tamper exposives as seen in #24

Flint
06-07-2007, 06:13 AM
I love this Issue!!! :) Great use of Characters, Clutch taking Roadblock down the side of the mountain to capture Cobra Commander!!! :D Classic!!! :cool:

Outrider
06-07-2007, 12:38 PM
[QUOTE=fightingswords]that whould be next issue, #24 after the commander is captured and in the custody of the joes. The 25A battle mask CC has a removable helmet with the anti-tamper exposives as seen in #24[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the correction! It's been a long time since I read these issues, and the memory is a little foggy! :confused:

maxtype
06-07-2007, 03:17 PM
Hey everyone,did Roadblock's descriptions of gourmet food make you hungry? They make me hungry! :p