PDA

View Full Version : your joeworld?

lehsreh
05-22-2007, 12:59 PM
[COLOR=Red]im just wondering who exist in your world? cobra la, who? i know some go by the comic world. if so then wouldn't cobra la exist in your world since they were in the black horizon issues? if you follow the comics to decide who is alive and who is dead in your joeverse then how do you feel about snake eyes. i just read the america's elite where he was finally killed off and then brought back after being dead for days but some mystic ninja trick. if this is done in the comics do you ever think you'll bring some of the old joe's back in your world or just let the comics decide who they want to bring back from the dead? in my joeverse everyone exist that was in the toys, not billy because he hasn't been made yet. but all the others do, however i dont use many new figures that came into creation in the 2000's. i dont like them, so even though they exist, i haven't bought many and im not planing on using them.[/COLOR]

ender098
05-22-2007, 01:47 PM
Hmmm, that pretty vague...I have a lot of non-joe Characters that exist in my Joe Verse. Jim Armstrong (LordRaven's Viper), Sgt Riddick (Who was an unwilling subject to remerge the Venom Project), The Punisher aka Frank Castle (looking for Headman and other Drug dealers!), Wraith, Dr Knox, and a few unsavory characters.

As for Cobra-la...it exists, but the subjects are simply bad genetic experiments of Dr. MindBender.

Bayer
05-22-2007, 03:47 PM
The comics provide the basics, but they are only the background of the unit. The rest of the back story is more personal. Some of the characters that have been killed in the comics, still live in my story. Others, who are "fundamental" characters have very different fates in my "Joeverse".

Stormer
05-22-2007, 05:32 PM
I follow the comics way too closely. In some ways it limits my imagination, but in others I think it challenges me to be more creative, to work around the plots and events in the book. I've got a pretty good (IMO :) ) storyline running parallel with the America's Elite series which I keep claiming I'm going to do in dio-story form but if I don't get on with that they'll just print something that invalidates my story... As it is, I'm waiting until after World War III this summer in case any characters I might use don't survive!

I don't acknowledge Cobra-La, and Black Horizon isn't a problem as the GI Joe Vs Transformers minis from DDP are a totally seperate continuity (just look at "Serpent O.R." in the third series). I love that they can do more outlandish things in this "side-universe," with time travel, the Autobot Matrix, Cobra-La, Unicron, Lunartix and even a cameo appearance from the Battle Beasts toy line...! I'm hoping there's another series so we can see Colton lead the Star Brigade into action!

Self-Modifier
05-22-2007, 07:06 PM
As you may be able to tell, the Transformers and G.I. Joe co-exist in one universe where I come from. Therefore, all TFs and their associated characters are in my G.I. Joe world.

Besides them, pretty much everyone from the comics and TV shows exists in one way or another. I haven't fleshed them all out, and likely won't until I decide to use them in a story, but all the following inhabit my world in one way or another:

Cobra-La is out there someplace, though it likely has no real connection to Cobra in my world. Perhaps, as in the cartoon, they planted the seed of Serpentor's creation in Dr. Mindbender's "rather pedestrian" brain (to quote Golobulus), but it would've been more to try and seize control of Cobra than from any past association with their leader. Cobra Commander is 100% human around these parts!

Also, Action Force is in my Joe world as the U.K.'s equivalent of G.I. Joe. There's a reason Big Ben hasn't been in any of my TF crossovers even though he's one of my favorite Joes-- He's a member of Action Force. Lt. Stone (based on the Sigma Six character) is their leader, even though I haven't made a figure of him yet. Naturally, since Action Force exists, so do the Red Shadows.

Finally, since you can never have too many ruthless terrorist organizations out there, even though G.I. Joe Extreme isn't in my world, their enemy organization, SKAR, is, led by Iron Klaw. I'll probably never use them in anything, but Iron Klaw is just too cool-looking not to acknowledge. Someday I plan to make a custom of him using a Cobra CLAWS head with a beret.

Sonneilon
05-22-2007, 07:49 PM
When I was little, the Marvel comics and filecards had more pull than the cartoon. The comic, when written by Hama, seemed to follow the filecards pretty well. When the DD comics came out, I was kinda so-so. It didn't take long for me to throw DD continuity out the door. Being on JBL, I learned to treat the Joes how I wanted. One didn't HAVE TO follow the comic or cartoon or movie or S6, y'know? So I'm doing things my own way.

Cobra La in my verse? Nope.

Red Ninja. Not really. (The Arashikage, yes)

Snake Eyes deaded? Nope.

LordRaven
05-22-2007, 08:18 PM
When I was a kid, I had ONE Joe comic, and I think it was a special missions issue with the Star Vipers or something to that effect. The cartoon RULED my life, and I had most of the toys. Now a days, after reading all the comics, that's really changed my way of thinking when it comes to Joes. Everyone's alive. There's Jim, the viper I made for my and Franko's joint dio story, there's the last chance squad, and a new character me and the lovely Jen have been workin on together, you might get to meet her soon.

Sonneilon
05-22-2007, 09:00 PM
Wow, Shane, that's crazy. Cuz from all your pics and dios, you wouldn't know that the cartoon biased you! I mean, we can take a few other people here :P and know that the cartoon is all they ever had so what you see in their pics is very cartoon oriented. NOT that that's bad, it's just... I'm more about independent thinking on GI Joe. Your dio w/ Frank proves that you can think outside the box.

There's nothing wrong w/ being a strict comic guy or whatever. But at the same time, I like people to do their own thing w/ GI Joe. THAT'S what makes it all interesting to me. To see other things. To do other things.

maxtype
05-22-2007, 10:25 PM
For me-my Joeverse is pretty much the Filecards/Hama Comics.............I love the cartoon,don't think I don't..............but the Marvel Comic is just so 'it' for me.I don't hold to the DD stuff at all,however.............neither do I hold with the Deaths in Hama's or DD's comics.............all the character's who were figures are still alive in my world..............only General Flagg II,Kwinn,Dr. Venom,Scarface,and Mangler are dead..................

Outrider
05-23-2007, 12:15 AM
The Marvel comic run and the filecards are the basis of my Joeverse, but are by no means the limit of my Joeverse. Firstly, for me, the whole ninja angle is a dud. My Snake Eyes is a highly trained commando who happens to be proficient in several martial arts disciplines, but he aint no ninja. Storm Shadow is just a background Cobra intelligence agent. Cobra La never even existed, nor did V-troops. I tend to stick to the straight forward military stuff and ignore the fantasy influences. Transformers? Sorry, no. In my Joeverse Cobra invaded Benzheen, and Trucial Abysmia, etc, but the Joes killed in these storylines are all alive and well in my world. The Cobra Civil war took place, but Serpentor survived.
The cartoons never really influenced me as they were only shown here sporadically, and always seemed to be aimed more towards a younger audience. The DD comic lost me a few years ago and it never had any effect on my Joeverse anyway.

Swindle
05-23-2007, 01:02 AM
If it has a figure that was released here in the states, it most likely exists, whether I own the toy or not. Characters I don't own are either on mission, MIA, or on reserve. There are a few figures I can't abide by, such as Vypra and the Vypra twins, so she/they does/do not exist.

Sunbow provides the bible for my world, but I expand things beyond it.

Everything happened up to and including the movie. Duke died. Even before I got the internet, it seemed ridiculous he survived a snake through the heart and reading about the orginal way it was supposed to go down confirmed my suspicions. Cobra Commander's mutation was eventually reversed, but the 87 battle armor is a containment suit to help stabilize his mutation, otherwise, its back to snakes vile.

DIC episodes are non-canon, but I will take a few things from it, such as Metal Head. He is basically his DIC counter-part. Lady Jaye did dump Flint and date Gridiron a bit. Scoop is a Cobra agent, but never reformed.

Overkill is basically the character presented in Sigma 6. Ghostbear is a teenager. He is not interested in killing Snake Eyes. Overlord is interested ruling Cobra himself. He is not a Serpentor lackey. Barrage and Bombstrike are a couple.

Things like Transformers exists in my world. Jem and the Holograms, as well, as I consider its cartoon apart of the same extended mythos. Other toys can be brought in if I feel like it, such as Street Fighter, Mortal Combat, Sky Kids, etc. More than just the Joevs.Cobra conflict are at play in my world.

lehsreh
05-23-2007, 03:23 AM
[QUOTE=Swindle]
Things like Transformers exists in my world. Jem and the Holograms, as well, as I consider its cartoon apart of the same extended mythos. Other toys can be brought in if I feel like it, such as Street Fighter, Mortal Combat, Sky Kids, etc. More than just the Joevs.Cobra conflict are at play in my world.[/QUOTE]

[COLOR=Red]very open minded. i like the jem thing. i was wanting to do a custom of them but im not a teknokyo. it would be cool though to have them as a guest shot in a dio or something. thats aother reason i wanted the oktober guard and street fighter to win the pool (if they'll even go by that). i want to make a games master. i know some of these things arent realistic, jem, transformers, cobra la. but as i said neither is the same joes coming back after ever mission. heck, if we were going for realism here, we wouldnt have b.a.t.s or any guys with blue uniforms and mask. we wouldnt have destro. it doesnt matter how far fetched things are as long as the story is strong. look at sonn, his dios have a strong sci-fi feel to them and there great.[/COLOR]

holesnipe
05-23-2007, 05:52 AM
FOR THE JOE FORCES the characters are based on thier filecards, and the rest of my world is based on my dio-stories and website. The command structure and so on,being ex-military I try to really stick to ranks and NOT let DUKE order FLINT and so on.

FOR THE COBRA FORCES I generally use a lot of the references out of the original cartoons, with one change, Cobra Commander isn't a bumbling coward and COBRA-LALLALALLLALALAA, sorry doesn't exist. OH, and the dreadnoks kick major arss.

maxtype
05-23-2007, 12:33 PM
[QUOTE=holesnipe]FOR THE JOE FORCES the characters are based on thier filecards, and the rest of my world is based on my dio-stories and website. The command structure and so on,being ex-military I try to really stick to ranks and NOT let DUKE order FLINT and so on. [/QUOTE]

Right on-I play it like this-Duke is like SGT.Major Plumley in We Were Soldiers-maybe not so foul-mouthed..................( :p ).His knowledge and experience are greatly respected by the Joe officers............and NOBODY stands on rank vs. knowledge.............and Duke or Scarlett do lead some missions with officers technically 'under' them in chain-of-command............again,it's qualifications and knowledge to lead a particular mission................