User Name
Password

Old 02-27-2008, 08:02 AM #11
yorktownjoe
Enjoying the season

-->
yorktownjoe is on a distinguished road -->
Thumbs up

I laughed out loud when I read Sephrons' comments about you having no talent.

For those of you tuning in late to the conversation, that would be sarcasm as Sephron, Haradrel and Fifthconspiracy are showcasing their abilities in set design. I speak for many others in thanking you again for your contributions on the step by step "How-to" create these wonderful sets.

You even had carved in scales on the snake head entrance.

Wow.

Actually, I'm not sure where dio-sets cross over to stand-alone art.

But I believe this qualifies...

Now cancel that business trip so you can install a kiln oven to heat dry your clay at 1100 degrees F.

Take it easy!

Old 02-27-2008, 09:32 AM #12
lehsreh
G.I. Smurf

-->
lehsreh is on a distinguished road -->

Send a message via MSN to lehsreh Send a message via Yahoo to lehsreh

looking great. im glad your here to show all of these how to's. if there was a most valuable player on here, id have to give it to you.

Old 02-27-2008, 09:45 AM #13
Sonneilon
aka 'Paul WS Anderson' ;)

-->
Sonneilon is on a distinguished road -->

Send a message via MSN to Sonneilon

FRAK ME!

That looks superb and YOU SUCK! How am I supposed to do this courtyard scene NOW??? I love the clay snake head as the entry way. I'd love to incorporate that in somehow. I get paid next month so then I can start working on it. Very nice! As Brent Spiner (as Doctor Okun) said in 'Independence Day', "Y'know, you're starting to make us look bad."

Old 02-27-2008, 05:24 PM #14
Flatline
THEY ARE NOT DOLLS!!!

-->
Flatline is on a distinguished road -->

[QUOTE=Sonneilon]
FRAK ME!

WELL THAT SUMS IT UP

Old 02-27-2008, 06:00 PM #15
Sonneilon
aka 'Paul WS Anderson' ;)

-->
Sonneilon is on a distinguished road -->

Send a message via MSN to Sonneilon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatline
[QUOTE=Sonneilon]
FRAK ME!

WELL THAT SUMS IT UP

That was meant in a good way. His sets are just awesome. Now I'll just go into my corner and cry some more.

Old 02-27-2008, 06:07 PM #16
Flatline
THEY ARE NOT DOLLS!!!

-->
Flatline is on a distinguished road -->

MINE TOO IT'S GREAT WORK..... OFF TO MY CORNER NOW

Painting the Stones! The Stones I Say!!!
Old 02-27-2008, 10:28 PM #17
fifthconspiracy
Smack-Talking Ninja

-->
fifthconspiracy is on a distinguished road -->
Wink Painting the Stones! The Stones I Say!!!

Before I get to the painting, I would like to thank everyone that's posted on this thread with encouraging comments. I sincerely appreciate your kudos.

I am very glad that the how-to's I've been posting are appreciated... the only thing I ask in return is for all of you to take a stab at either some of my ideas, or more importantly your own ideas... and share them. This is the only way one can truly learn and grow... and prosper creatively.

Ok, onto more painting...

There's 4 stages here:

1. Paint everything dark gray... twice to ensure adequate coverage and a good base color.

2. Dry-brush everything light gray with a large brush, to bring out the texture features of each unique brick.

3. Dry-brush a heavy white onto the top of each brick.

4. Dry-brush an olive green on the top and sides of each brick to make it all jungle-like.

The two coats of dark gray have been applied and now we're dry-brushing on a light gray to bring out the contours and ridges/textures of each stone.

Now stay with me here... I think alot of folks would stop at the above photos and say they're done. More definition is needed to look truly "real". I looked up photos of castles in damp climates like Scotland, and there's a warn look on the top of each brick...

So, I took plain bright white and heavy-dry-brushed it onto each top ledge/surface of every stone (and on the snake head as well). Take a gander below...

But wait... there's more! Yes there is! I didn't stop there... I then took olive green and dry-brushed it fairly heavy on the top and down the right/left sides of each stone. This was to get the damp jungle feeling like in tomb raider, indiana jones etc... It's dramatic and the following pictures don't quite do it justice, mainly because it's night time and I don't have adequate lighting... but you get the idea...

KAPOW!
That's right - the following image just happened. It looks all moist and has that jungle atmosphere. Now we're cooking with fire!

We're planning on a dirt ground covering and leaves hanging everywhere... I think we'll also look for something to use as vines.

So! I really really can't wait to take some action photos with this diorama. I'm quite happy with the progress so far. I stare at it for minutes on end in my kitchen.

So far, I have clocked 7 hours on this project since Saturday afternoon, so it's not too time-consuming as you might think.

Cheers! ~ Paul.

Old 02-27-2008, 10:36 PM #18
Sephron13
Death from above!!

-->
Sephron13 is on a distinguished road -->

Send a message via AIM to Sephron13

Love the color choices you made here. And I'll be darned if it doesn't truly have that damp, jungle feeling! Great how you pulled that off. I'll look tight with the foliage and ground covering, too.

I can just see a small Joe force attacking a platoon of Cobra troops exiting the base... Yeah, action shots are definitely needed, and STAT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireflyed
I gotta say, for an ole lady, she's got it going on!

Old 02-28-2008, 01:06 AM #19
haradrel
Resolute fanboi

-->
haradrel is on a distinguished road -->

Send a message via MSN to haradrel
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorktownjoe
For those of you tuning in late to the conversation, that would be sarcasm as Sephron, Haradrel and Fifthconspiracy are showcasing their abilities in set design.

I haven't made anything yet (just the painting how-to).
But I promise to live up to the kudos! (or die trying )

Next you need to add vines and some small shrub/jungle growth!

There are some excellent shrubs/small bushes that looks very "jungely" at hobbystores, I'll see if I can find mine and show you what I mean.

The painting on this is just divine awesomeness, very inspiring to follow the progress!

So more Kudos to you! Keep going! Let's see how this bad boy turns out when its finished

Old 02-28-2008, 06:11 AM #20
Tracker
Veteran

-->
Tracker is on a distinguished road -->

wow this look amazing and it has giving me as solution to doing bricks for my brick house too.

Are you plaining to do any more painting on the snake head? i think the eyes would look great if you paint them with jeweling effect.