Go Back   JoeDios.com Forums > Discussion Forums > JoeDioes.com Forum > How-To
User Name
Password

Old 02-18-2008, 04:57 PM #11
Da Talent
That Light Dude

-->
Da Talent is an unknown quantity at this point -->

I like the setup Seph, can't wait to see what you do with roof stuff and the exterior, so I hold back judgement till you get it all complete hehe, but it definitly looks like a very versitale structure, nice work bro!

Old 02-19-2008, 09:16 AM #12
Sephron13
Death from above!!

-->
Sephron13 is on a distinguished road -->

Send a message via AIM to Sephron13

Well, we're having a bit of a blizzard here in NE Ohio, so I didn't get a chance to go to Michael's after work today. However, that doesn't mean I shall not do anything! After working some more from home, I had a little bit of free time, so I decided to see what I'm going to do about the windows.

Here's what the window looks like beforehand. ScarFace and a Fred-series Crimson Guard are preparing to strike, whilst Flint moves in on LJ again. Give it a rest, lover boy, Cobra is about to strike!

I've cut up some more popsickle sticks. What I'm going to do is take some masking tape and fold it over on itself, effectively making it double-sided. Then, I shall lay one piece below the window on either side, and then one within the frame itself. I won't be using tape in the final product, but this will give me a better idea of what it's going to look like.

If you're a mackin', when Cobra's attackin', you best be packin' Snake-Eyes a backin'. Just a super quick photoshop and a view of what the window is going to shape up to be.

Here's a closer view. As you can see, not only is Flint safe from harm, but we've the makings of a window here!

I may work more on the tower tonight, but we'll see. Perhaps not until tomorrow, or Thursday. Also, I think I figured out what I want to do to the exterior, so this weekend babies, it's going to be balls-to-the-wall so I can knock this puppy out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireflyed
I gotta say, for an ole lady, she's got it going on!

Old 02-19-2008, 10:07 AM #13
Tracker
Veteran

-->
Tracker is on a distinguished road -->

This is coming along nice. I'm excite to see the finished product.

Coolio
Old 02-19-2008, 10:44 AM #14
fifthconspiracy
Smack-Talking Ninja

-->
fifthconspiracy is on a distinguished road -->
Thumbs up Coolio

You let a little thing like a blizzard get in your way? Geez Man! Get committed to your project! Don't make me hop a plane to Ohio and show up at your doorstep.

Window framing is looking good. I would say tho, that once you add on the exterior, it will have some thickness which may throw off your mock-up a little, but hey, that's all part of the lovely give-and-take ;-) Looking good, looking good.

I am dying to see how you're gonna outfit the com tower. I'm giddy with glee.

And I want a Red Barron Pizza - we don't get those here in Canada. It looks Mr Pibb delicious.

Cheers! ~ Paul.

Old 02-20-2008, 02:58 AM #15
Sephron13
Death from above!!

-->

Quote:
Originally Posted by fifthconspiracy
You let a little thing like a blizzard get in your way? Geez Man! Get committed to your project! Don't make me hop a plane to Ohio and show up at your doorstep.

Window framing is looking good. I would say tho, that once you add on the exterior, it will have some thickness which may throw off your mock-up a little, but hey, that's all part of the lovely give-and-take ;-) Looking good, looking good.

I am dying to see how you're gonna outfit the com tower. I'm giddy with glee.

And I want a Red Barron Pizza - we don't get those here in Canada. It looks Mr Pibb delicious.

Cheers! ~ Paul.

Ugh, my drive home is normally 35-40 minutes, but it took me almost an hour and a half. At that point, I said to myself "screw it, i'm going home and staying home". After making some food and watching The Sarah Conner Chronicles I didn't have much time left before bedtime. I had to wake up early, go outside and shovel so my fiance could get in the driveway. I spent some time with her, went back to bed, woke up and am now back at work (5:20am, Wednesday morning). Plus my new puppy demands attention. Oh yeah, I almost forgot, GET OFF MY BACK!!

About the framing, yes, when I add the exterior, I won't be following exactly what I have there. I just wanted to feel productive but was exhausted so, yeah. I shall be picking up the remainder of the supplies I need for the exterior on Friday and my goal is to have the outside of the building finished up by Sunday evening. That includes the outer walls, the door, detachable roof and back-wall section (wait until you see my ideas for that...), the comm tower, and AC unit for the roof, windows, etc. I've quite a ways to go, but I think I can do it.

Here's a mock-up of my idea to make the roof (and back wall and tower) removable/reattachable. I did this at work, haha.

What do you think?!

Quote:

Last edited by Sephron13 : 02-20-2008 at 03:05 AM.

Old 02-20-2008, 05:05 AM #16
yorktownjoe
Enjoying the season

-->
yorktownjoe is on a distinguished road -->

Painting something like velcro to look like something that blends in (a vent). That's brilliant AND functional.

Great idea.

That makes me feel really good about my coffee can brick exterior castle round I'm building. Seriously, Sephron, Haradrel and Fifth, thank you for all this how-to idea-sharing.

This is helping a lot of people in our current era of no new playsets...

Old 02-20-2008, 05:27 AM #17
Tracker
Veteran

-->
Tracker is on a distinguished road -->

That velco idea is a good and and i like the way your doing your roof.

i found this site and i thought about your com-tower station when i seen it.

It's free downloads for paper models of some Radio Telescopes.

http://www.nro.nao.ac.jp/alma/E/out...papermodel.html

Old 02-20-2008, 10:06 PM #18
Sephron13
Death from above!!

-->

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracker
That velco idea is a good and and i like the way your doing your roof.

i found this site and i thought about your com-tower station when i seen it.

Holy crap, that's awesome! Tracker, you're my new hero. I am now going to have to utilize this. Amazing stuff, and thanks for thinking of me!

Quote:

Old 02-20-2008, 10:21 PM #19
Sephron13
Death from above!!

-->

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorktownjoe
Painting something like velcro to look like something that blends in (a vent). That's brilliant AND functional.

Great idea.

That makes me feel really good about my coffee can brick exterior castle round I'm building. Seriously, Sephron, Haradrel and Fifth, thank you for all this how-to idea-sharing.

This is helping a lot of people in our current era of no new playsets...

See, you said the magic word to me...PLAYSETS! I want something that will look cool and is fun to play with at the same time. I'll admit it, I like to play with my Joes, take cool pics, set up all sweet-like. I've been greatly inspired lately, so much great work going on...not just the "How-To's", but the dios, the pics, seeing all of the new 25th stuff coming out! I haven't felt like this since the mid to late 80's, early 90's...and I was a kid then!

Post some pics of that castle, bud. Watching this stuff come to life is awesome!

Quote:

Wow - cool idea!
Old 02-20-2008, 10:39 PM #20
fifthconspiracy
Smack-Talking Ninja

-->
fifthconspiracy is on a distinguished road -->
Thumbs up Wow - cool idea!

I dig your mock-up. I agree with yorktownjoe that it's a fantabulous way to get function and use it for detailing in a dio. I may have to borrow this for my upcoming 2-storey ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorktownjoe

Brother - no problemo... now you've peaked our interest in this "coffee can brick exterior castle" masterpiece you have mentioned. Open up a thread in the how-to and show the world baby! Put it out there! I'm sure everyone would agree, that we'd love to see it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracker

Wow - thanks for finding this. I'm gonna try making some of these shortly, just to see how hard it is to make them look like the pics shown - cause that would be deadly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sephron13
I spent some time with her, went back to bed, woke up and am now back at work

Sounds like you have a life! Lol... and crazy shift-work. Your project is coming along, your ideas are coolio - so thanks for sharing. My son and I Appreciate it.

Cheers! ~ Paul.