Radar Dish
Old 11-13-2008, 10:28 AM #1
vespapilot79
Veteran

-->
vespapilot79 is on a distinguished road -->

Send a message via Yahoo to vespapilot79
Default Radar Dish

I researched on the net trying to decide on what shape of dish I wanted to make. I looked at military and civilian models. Once you have found what you want. do a basic sketch of your design and cut it out. Trace around it with a sharpie on your fine wire mesh. Its the same stuff as the fencing that is located on the main page of this site. Once you have cut it out, slightly concave the dish and bend in the edges. For the antenne part, I used a 1/4in square dowel as my template. I carefully wrapped the mesh around it tapping down the edges with the rubber handle end of a screwdriver. It measures out to 2 1/2in. It needs to wrap around once overlapping only where you began. You shouldnt have to use anything to keep it together if you did it right. The little square part on the antenne is foamcore attached by small gauge wire. Now you can slightly bend the antenne into shape. Attach it to the dish to the antenne. Make sure you cut longer pieces of wire so you have enough to twist and make them tight. I attached mine x2 so it would remain sturdy. Now cut out your piece of foamcore, 1/2in x 3/4in. Poke 2 small holes close together to pass your wire through to attach it to the end of the antenne.

For the base, I used a 32oz Gatroaide bottle. I cut off the top, sprayed it with flat white primer. Once dry i went over it with flat grey primer. I used acrylic paints to make it look dirty. A darker grey and black. I used the dry brush method and just used quick brush strokes. I used a cardboard poster tube lid for the dish holder. I wrapped it with a wall printout that is located here in the file section. I attached the dish to the tube lid with wire. If you cant find a tube big enough to fit, try a smaller plastic bottle.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tube.JPG (27.5 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg Lid.JPG (27.7 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg Dish top view.JPG (28.4 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg fitting.JPG (26.2 KB, 86 views)

Old 11-13-2008, 01:21 PM #2
Sonneilon
aka 'Paul WS Anderson' ;)

-->
Sonneilon is on a distinguished road -->

Send a message via MSN to Sonneilon

I was wondering what this radar dish of yours was supposed to look like! Glad you threw down for us to see!

Old 11-15-2008, 12:02 AM #3
ender098
Veteran

-->
ender098 will become famous soon enough -->

Send a message via MSN to ender098 Send a message via Yahoo to ender098

Awesome job. I think even my dumb @$$ can make it from these instructions. I would like to see a few pics of how you shaped the mesh, though!

Old 11-15-2008, 12:45 PM #4
vespapilot79
Veteran

-->
vespapilot79 is on a distinguished road -->

Send a message via Yahoo to vespapilot79

I can do that!!

Old 04-21-2009, 09:10 AM #5
Tracker
Veteran

-->
Tracker is on a distinguished road -->