JoeDios.com Forums  

Go Back   JoeDios.com Forums > Discussion Forums > JoeDioes.com Forum > How-To
User Name
Password
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes

Building a de-forested landscape
Old 06-02-2012, 11:31 AM #1
seyms
Not Enough Time
 
seyms's Avatar
 
Offline
-->
Posts: 1,007
seyms is on a distinguished road -->
Join Date: Aug 2009
Default Building a de-forested landscape

I started this project by looking at photographs of deforested rainforest and other areas, and even by looking into the few patchy areas in my garden, trying to get a feel of how vegetation and trees and dirt all interacted and separated when deforestation occurs.

The materials I used were the following:

MDF board
Fibre board
Newspaper (lots of!)
Cardboard
Masking tape
Plaster-cloth (also known as ModRock, ArtRock or plaster-netting)
Tepid water
Woodland Scenics clump foliage
Hornby Skale Scenics scatter, shrubbery and ballast

1) I placed the MDF board flat and screwed the fibre board to the sides and enclosed the structure. I then scrunched up the newsaper and arranged it in the shapes that I wanted, to make uneven landscape. Using the cardboard, I sculpted the road in-between the rockfaces and the cliff on the end. I also used cardboard placed on top of graduated rolls of newspaper to make the slope in the road at the side.

In the following images, you can see that I made some lower land, with a road beside it leading to higher land, with the road cutting through raised rock verges on either side. A sheer cliff lies to the other side of the higher bit of land.

__________________
Seyms
  Reply With Quote

Old 06-02-2012, 11:41 AM #2
seyms
Not Enough Time
 
seyms's Avatar
 
Offline
-->
Posts: 1,007
seyms is on a distinguished road -->
Join Date: Aug 2009
Default

2) After securing all of the newspaper and cardboard with masking tape, I filled a bowl with warm water and used cut lengths of plast-cloth to cover the landscape.



3) I covered the set with four layers of plaster-cloth, smoothing over the patches and perforations that were visible. I ensured that the water was kept warm by using freshly-run water every once-so-often, whenever there was a build-up of plaster in the bottom of the bowl. This ensured that the plaster-cloth dried was well soaked and workable. After completing this stage, I left the model to dry fully for 24 hours.



4) After drying fully, the plaster was very hard to the touch. I then set about painting the model with a combination of browns, greens, dark reds and greys, all acrylics. The undercoat could be acrylic or regular emulsion, since the set is quite large and cheap emulsion will do for undercoat.

__________________
Seyms
  Reply With Quote

Old 06-02-2012, 12:12 PM #3
M1General
El Hombre
 
Offline
-->
Posts: 3,121
M1General is on a distinguished road -->
Join Date: Apr 2010
Thumbs up

Very nice, potential to look like Okinawa after the Japanese defeat.
  Reply With Quote

Old 06-02-2012, 12:37 PM #4
seyms
Not Enough Time
 
seyms's Avatar
 
Offline
-->
Posts: 1,007
seyms is on a distinguished road -->
Join Date: Aug 2009
Default

Exactly!
__________________
Seyms
  Reply With Quote

!
Old 06-02-2012, 01:51 PM #5
neapolitan joe
G.I.JOE ITALIAN COLLECTOR
 
neapolitan joe's Avatar
 
Offline
-->
Posts: 27,808
neapolitan joe will become famous soon enough -->
Join Date: Jan 2007
Thumbs up !

Well done!
__________________
My collection:

http://www.joedios.com/dioramas/bro...r&imageuser=444
  Reply With Quote

Old 06-02-2012, 02:45 PM #6
seyms
Not Enough Time
 
seyms's Avatar
 
Offline
-->
Posts: 1,007
seyms is on a distinguished road -->
Join Date: Aug 2009
Default

5) Next, I sprayed the surface of the model with diluted PVA glue, and sprinkled the grass scatter over the glue-sprayed parts. I mixed together different shades of scatter, as real grass is more than on colour. Next I used fine ballast to create the road surface. Same as with the grass, I sprayed diluted PVA glue over where the road was going to be and sprinkled the ballast over the area. After it all dried overnight, I up-ended the model and gave it a gentle shake to lose the excess sprinkle. The excess could be saved for later.



6) I then added the excess to bits of coarse scatter here and there to highlight certain areas. By this time I was curious as to what an action figure looked like in the set. Here you can see an Ugha warrior on the grassy area.



__________________
Seyms
  Reply With Quote

Old 06-02-2012, 02:55 PM #7
seyms
Not Enough Time
 
seyms's Avatar
 
Offline
-->
Posts: 1,007
seyms is on a distinguished road -->
Join Date: Aug 2009
Default

7) Next, I glued some Woodland Scenics clump foliage and Hornby Skale Scenics shrubbery to parts of the model, both to create height and depth to the landscape, and also to create opportunities to depict different scenes in my photography. For example, I could have someone hiding behind some shrubbery, and create different angles and compositions to tell the story. I think one of the things I wanted to do was to be able to condense several things into one set, so that I could get the most from it.











One thing I realised after making this, was that there are ways to make my own clump foliage, using shredded foam sponge, paint and a blender. I hope to try that someday when I have a blender to "spare".
__________________
Seyms
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump




Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Style Design By: vBStyles.com


- JoeDios - Archive - Top