Go Back   JoeDios.com Forums > Discussion Forums > JoeDioes.com Forum > How-To
User Name
Password

How do I make I lighted airstrip?
Old 11-06-2008, 07:20 AM #1
Kranitz

-->
Kranitz is on a distinguished road -->
Talking How do I make I lighted airstrip?

I have a bunch of wood around as well as tools, and was thinking of making an airstrip/runway from a particular 7-8 foot long piece. However, I was also thinking about cutting small squares out, putting plexiglass in, and then putting maybe christmas lights under. I think they call these markers or something ,but I want to have them flash from one end to the other, to bring the planes in.

I've never done anything like this, so any and all help would be appreciated!

Old 11-06-2008, 10:22 AM #2
Sgt_DP
The Man Behind the Camera

-->
Sgt_DP is on a distinguished road -->
Thumbs up

Hmmm, what an interresting and fun prodject to do. I am first jealous that you have the space for such an endeavor.

First off, you have picked a great time of the year to do this. Like you mentioned using christmas lights... I would look for those at the craft stores that would be used for the mini town sets.

http://www.lemax.org/item.asp?id_ar...at=63&pag_cat=2

I have these spot lights. They are very useful. Other kits that I have found interresting are the micro light strips, these aren't the best product pictures but...

http://www.lemax.org/index.asp?id_cat=63&pag_cat=1

I have found them at Kmart or Micheals Craft store.

Just to note for Dio pictures, you won't be able to show the lights flashing, that would be more of a photo shop addition.

Hope this helps some, good luck on your Project!

lighting
Old 11-06-2008, 06:49 PM #3
vespapilot79
Veteran

-->
vespapilot79 is on a distinguished road -->

Send a message via Yahoo to vespapilot79
Default lighting

The battery operated lights will be awesome!!I have found them at wal mart and target as well. You dont need really thick wood either. Stay away from OSB since its surface it not smooth. You could probably look up images in your browser tool for night time airport lighting to see all of the colors. And the runway numbers correspond with the directional compass. Say one side is runway three zero 30. The opposite end will be one two 12. Use your local airport numbers to make it a little more personal. I may even use Edwards AFB runway numbers or even area 51. All can be found using Yahoo or Google maps. The sequenced lighting may be the more difficult to do. I would just go with regular lighting. im using an old cassette player for my radar dish motor. I'll have pics up when I get it completed.