We wanted to create a Machine-gunner's PillBox - for Cobra lackies to hide out in with a large gun. When we get the pillbox done, we'll have a chain-link fence beside it. Maybe the fence will be electrified, maybe it won't ~ I'm not sure at this point, we'll see.
Went on a shopping trip to Michael's Craft Store in Langley last weekend and picked up a wooden planter box
for $1.99. As you can see from the following photos, it is slightly slanted which makes for a great base of a concrete pillbox. And further, it has those horizontal lines cut into it, which will add some needed perspective. Ok, so let's cut it up!
You will notice above, that I cut the bottom out of the planter box. All I actually had to do is use an xacto knife to cut the glue and then slam it with my fist to pop it out. Now, lacking any real tools like a jigsaw, I had to drill large holes around the shapes and then punch out the window. For the rear, I used a hacksaw to cut it out. Very rough and fuggly, but I wasn't worried, because I planned to use skinny-sticks to shore it all up around the open edges... see below:
Skinny Sticks Rejoice! As you can see from the above image, I used skinny sticks within the cutouts, as well as outside and inside. Now it looks very clean and promising. I would really encourage anyone who's doing a doorway or window to use skinny sticks in this manner, really adds to realism and cleans up your edges, thus giving your doorway/window depth. Just my two cents.
Below, you will see the whole thing turned upside down. As the roof was knocked out, I used some small skinny-sticks to hold it in place when it's on... then we can take it off no prob as well to shine some light in for photos.
Glue is all dried... threw the roof on there. Cobra Commander approves thus far! He's a hard man to pleassssssse.
Now we're ready for painting. I'll post the results of the painting once it dries.
And incase you're wondering - Everything you see thus far took just under 1 hour... that's it!
Cheers! ~ Paul.