User Name
Password

How to make Dio Mountain??
Old 10-17-2006, 11:22 PM #1
Lightning LA

-->
Lightning LA is on a distinguished road -->
Default How to make Dio Mountain??

Hey,i'm new here but not new to Joe's,i've been into Joe's since they 1st came out a LOOOOONG time ago .I'm wanting to make a couple of Dio's to display my Joes,i want to make one for my Joe's and one for my Cobras.I know i want to make a Joe base for my Joe's,but for my Cobra's i want to get a little creative.I want to make a Mountain with a jungle in front of it,so i was wondering what's the best way to make a Mountain for my Cobras? I have 2 pieces of plywood,and 1 is for the Joe scene,and 1 is for the Cobra scene. So room isn't a issue,so if you guy's could give me any pointers on Mountain making i'd really appreciate it. Thanks,LA

Old 10-18-2006, 12:40 AM #2
Outrider
It's been a great ride!

-->
Outrider is on a distinguished road -->

Send a message via MSN to Outrider Send a message via Yahoo to Outrider

I'm certainly no expert on dio set making, but a technique I used for a school project once may help. Make a frame in the shape you want for your mountain using chicken wire or similar. Then cover it with a green fabric (or whatever colour you want) and use small lengths of wire to attach the fabric securely at random points onto the frame. Then you coat the whole thing in a matt finish wood varnish which, when dry, stiffens the fabric into a fairly hard surface. Then you just paint it to look however you like. The beauty of this method is that it is cheap, and the final product doesn't weigh much. Hope that helps!

Old 10-18-2006, 02:37 AM #3
blaster_e11
Le French Collector

-->
blaster_e11 is on a distinguished road -->

eric at violentfix has posted a cool making of of his moutain road seen in his latest dio story, maybe you could check it

Old 10-18-2006, 01:53 PM #4
Sonneilon
aka 'Paul WS Anderson' ;)

-->
Sonneilon is on a distinguished road -->

Send a message via MSN to Sonneilon

Luke's built massive 6' structures. He's the guy to get ahold of too. I think it was exactly as Outrider said. But I think Luke used paper mache when creating the mountain. Helped create all those sharp edges and stuff.

Old 10-31-2006, 06:03 AM #5
rnrhero
I'm Really Cool.

-->
rnrhero is on a distinguished road -->

I stacked foam in the general shape. then took wadded newspaper around the edges to make it look a little more real then I got some of the Plaster cloth that they sell at model Train stores and layed it over the foam and wadded paper. Then I just grabbed a can of Textured spray paint and paited it. Took about a day but now I have a mountain to put my Terrordrome on. Check my Pictures to see what It looked like. Its not the best but good enough for a dio pic and everyone that sees it seems to be impressed.