Password

Getting There!
Old 01-28-2008, 10:17 PM #21
fifthconspiracy
Smack-Talking Ninja

-->
fifthconspiracy is on a distinguished road -->
Red face Getting There!

Ok, so we finished the door and installed it. Finished the interior trim etc. Onto adding some "scortch" to the blow-out hole.

Firstly, I created a little sheild to guard the building - only want to paint the hole!

Snake Eyes beside the hole in the building...

And some test shots around the door. You'll notice I added some tuft grass in a few places... still have to trim it down a bit ;-)

And another test shot of Snake Eyes givin a boot sandwich...

Pretty much the only thing left is the rubble around the hole. I'll work on that shortly.

Cheers! ~ Paul.

That's It! Done!
Old 02-04-2008, 09:36 PM #22
fifthconspiracy
Smack-Talking Ninja

-->
Thumbs up That's It! Done!

Applied the debris around the blow-out hole as the last touch...

The project is done! My son's 8th birthday was a few days ago, and he's had hours (literally hours my wife tells me) playing with this dio-shack with his new figures.

Overall, I'd say I'm happy with the overall project outcome. We already have plans for another diorama with rock face and a warehouse.

If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask. The entire thing was quite easy to do and didn't take that long considering the outcome.

As a final take, I took a few action shots around the finished building. Enjoy!

Storm Shadow launches a stealthy kick on an unsuspecting Beachead! Kapow!

Gung-ho reaches for his sidearm as his buddy is knocked on his a$$! Frapow!

Flash has a fresh set of energizer batteries and readies his laser rifle! Zapow!

Visor down - the hum of the laser rifle might give him away! Zowie!

Snake Eyes cleans up. Leave no evidence behind.

Cheers! ~ Paul.

Old 02-05-2008, 07:24 PM #23
General Hawk
Veteran

-->
General Hawk is on a distinguished road -->

Absolutely terrific! Great looking dio and a fantastic "how to" as well. Thanks, you obviously spent a lot of time on this, and it shows.

Great stuff.

Justin
News, Forums, and Toy Sightings

Old 02-06-2008, 06:24 AM #24
Sephron13
Death from above!!

-->
Sephron13 is on a distinguished road -->

Send a message via AIM to Sephron13

Wow, those shots are incredible. Great lighting and the set looks amazing. Any shots of the whole thing, from different angles and in better lighting. I'd love to see what the final product ended up looking like. I can't wait to try this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireflyed
I gotta say, for an ole lady, she's got it going on!

Here is the final product, full views
Old 02-10-2008, 03:33 PM #25
fifthconspiracy
Smack-Talking Ninja

-->
Wink Here is the final product, full views

As requested, here are some full-views of the Ranger Station/Shack.

Uh-oh... Cobra just took over the lease.

And Cobra Commander enters through the front door.

Storm Shadow looks out a the tranquil view of the lake.

Cobra Commander is pissed that there's a hole in the wall - that wasn't noted on the lease papers he signed!!!! Damn!!!

What? The place isn't furnished!! I demand that you online-order some damn furniture from Marauder Inc!!!

And get someone to fix that hole in the wall !!!! ... it's drafty. And what happened to the roof??? Aaaagggghhhh!!!!! Imbeciles!

Gonna add some little touches once the stuff arrives from Marauder Inc. I think a few mini-framed pictures, and possibly a cobra spray-paint tag on the front of the building would look coolio.

Thanks for everyone's comments/suggestions. Looks different in daylight eh? Compared to the few night-shots I've taken (above).

Cheers! ~ Paul.

Old 02-11-2008, 03:06 PM #26
Sephron13
Death from above!!

-->
Sephron13 is on a distinguished road -->

Send a message via AIM to Sephron13

Once again, truly outstanding work! I love how you did this and shall be attempting my own very soon. The finished product is excellent and these newer pics better show the roof and how it sets on there and the interior. It'll look great with some MGR accessories, so be sure to snap some new pics once you've outfitted the building!! Please!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireflyed
I gotta say, for an ole lady, she's got it going on!

Old 02-19-2008, 06:33 PM #27
haradrel
Resolute fanboi

-->
haradrel is on a distinguished road -->

Send a message via MSN to haradrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonneilon
LOL. Most of the miniature gamers call the stuff flock that ya use for the grounds. And yes, you usually use a tacky glue. But unlike you, they tend to dry brush the stuff. HOW they do that w/o getting all the flock back ONTO the brush is beyond me. Your project looks great! MOving faster than me! (NOT that that's saying much!)

I actually use woodglue (you know the basic white stuff), mixed with about 30-40% water and then flock/small pebbles or whatever.
Let it dry for about 3-4 hours. Then you can't move it even with dynamite!
after that I paint over it.
Drybrush and put washes over it.

Drybrush: Take a big ol' brush with worn bristles, put paint on it, draw the brush back and forth on some paper (I use toilet paper) until almost no paint comes off, then draw the brush across whatever you need to paint - do this until you have gotten the layer you want. - you see this technique allows paint only to hit the surface areas, whilst the areas underneath is still in its original color (thus you should use a shade lighter color for highlighting/drybrushing).

Washes. Use preferably a water based paint - mix it out with 50/50 water (depends on the paint). Use a fairly large brush to run the paint/milk over the surface of what you are trying to shade.
You see, because its more of a liquid it will go in the cracks and crevices better and darken the places that would receive normal shadow.

If you use washing and drybrushing together you get wonderful results (mostly I just use drybrushing!).

Hope that helps some of you - I'll be putting out a tutorial/how to myself on painting and techniques and whatnot.

Old 02-19-2008, 07:30 PM #28
fifthconspiracy
Smack-Talking Ninja

-->
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by haradrel
Hope that helps some of you - I'll be putting out a tutorial/how to myself on painting and techniques and whatnot.

Dude, thank you so much for your instruction. From your Warhammer sets, you are definetely the resident diorama paint expert. By all means, please feel free to post a how-to on painting. We'd all appreciate it.

I personally found that using tacky glue to adhere the flocking to the surface works... and then using a 50/50 mix of elmers white glue and water, dumping it right on top of the flocking, letting dry for 8 hours and boom, it's solid. I found it un-nerving at first, cause I was worried it was gonna dry white or off-white or something ;-)

Thanks again Haradrel!

Cheers! ~ Paul.

Old 02-29-2008, 04:26 AM #29
haradrel
Resolute fanboi

-->
haradrel is on a distinguished road -->

Send a message via MSN to haradrel

No problem

Hopefully I'll get to do some constructing/painting this weekend myself! (and of course a "how to" on it.

Hmmm I need roads, or large flat areas to base my stuff on.
Guess "city streets" will be my next big project.