User Name
Password

Old 09-14-2008, 12:50 PM #21
troopsofdoom
Troops of Doom

-->
troopsofdoom is on a distinguished road -->

LAYER MASKS (Photoshop)

Never use the Erase tool, anything you want to do with the Eraser can be done better with Layer Masks. Layer Masks give the same effect as erasing but when you erase something it's gone, with Layer Masks you can always get the image back. This is bare-bones to get you started, experiment to see what happens. Let me know if you have any follow up questions (I’m not too good at explaining things).

Select the Layer you want to work with (doesn't work on Background layer).

Click "Add Layer Mask" on bottom of the Layer Pallet.

Click the Mask Thumbnail that appears next to the Layer Thumbnail.

Select Brush Tool and a brush with 0% Hardness.
- Use small brush for crisp in-focus areas.
- Use large brush for soft out of focus areas.
(Experiment to get the right size.)

Use black to erase.

Use white to un-erase (this is what makes Masks great).

Old 09-14-2008, 03:23 PM #22
zedhatch
Veteran

-->
zedhatch is on a distinguished road -->

Quote:
Never use the Erase tool, anything you want to do with the Eraser can be done better with Layer Masks. Layer Masks give the same effect as erasing but when you erase something it's gone, with Layer Masks you can always get the image back.

Actually you could just hit step backward until you did, bit of apain but it works.

The major difference I have noticed between eraser and mask is the eraser does tend to have a "Faded" edge if certain brushes are used. other than that really it feels like an extra step. I have played around with them extensively and this is the conclusion I have arrived at, then again everyone is different and has different preferences to how to do things.

http://www.zedsjoesite.com Home Scale Wars updated Mon-Fri Every Week

Old 09-14-2008, 04:35 PM #23
troopsofdoom
Troops of Doom

-->
troopsofdoom is on a distinguished road -->

Quote:
Originally Posted by zedhatch
Actually you could just hit step backward until you did, bit of apain but it works.

The major difference I have noticed between eraser and mask is the eraser does tend to have a "Faded" edge if certain brushes are used. other than that really it feels like an extra step. I have played around with them extensively and this is the conclusion I have arrived at, then again everyone is different and has different preferences to how to do things.

Have to disagree with you on this one. You can only sept backward a limited amount of times. And if you save and quit to come back to work on the file another day you can't sept backwards at all.

Once something is erased, it's gone forever. With Masks, if you make a mistake or change your mind about what you want to do, you can always un-erase any part of the image at any time. The only extra step is clicking "Add Layer Mask".

Give Masks another try, they're worth it.

Old 09-15-2008, 08:09 AM #24
Sonneilon
aka 'Paul WS Anderson' ;)

-->
Sonneilon is on a distinguished road -->

Send a message via MSN to Sonneilon

I always ERASE! What I'm getting rid of, I could care less most of the time!!! :P But I figure the concept of erasing is for a whole 'nother lesson.

Old 09-15-2008, 08:12 AM #25
Sonneilon

-->

Old 09-15-2008, 10:59 AM #26
zedhatch
Veteran

-->
zedhatch is on a distinguished road -->

Quote:
Originally Posted by troopsofdoom
Have to disagree with you on this one. You can only sept backward a limited amount of times. And if you save and quit to come back to work on the file another day you can't sept backwards at all.

Once something is erased, it's gone forever. With Masks, if you make a mistake or change your mind about what you want to do, you can always un-erase any part of the image at any time. The only extra step is clicking "Add Layer Mask".

Give Masks another try, they're worth it.

This point can be argued back and forth and nothing will be accomplished, the fact is what works for one person doesn't for another. after EXTENSIVE trials with masks I found that erasing is more to the point, that is my personal preference. Masks are perfectly valid as well, but also have thier flaws just like erasing does. There will be something you can do with masks that can't be done with an eraser and vice versa.

But to belabor the point any further would be a practice in futility. Both options are out there and its up to the individual to deside what they prefer.

http://www.zedsjoesite.com Home Scale Wars updated Mon-Fri Every Week

Old 09-18-2008, 09:02 PM #27
Sonneilon

-->

Now I think about this debate, my CG buddy who did a bunch of effects for me in the past said, "Just erase what you don't need."