Before I get to the painting, I would like to thank everyone that's posted on this thread with encouraging comments. I sincerely appreciate your kudos.
I am very glad that the how-to's I've been posting are appreciated... the only thing I ask in return is for all of you to take a stab at either some of my ideas, or more importantly your own ideas... and share them. This is the only way one can truly learn and grow... and prosper creatively.
Ok, onto more painting...
There's 4 stages here:
1. Paint everything dark gray... twice to ensure adequate coverage and a good base color.
2. Dry-brush everything light gray with a large brush, to bring out the texture features of each unique brick.
3. Dry-brush a heavy white onto the top of each brick.
4. Dry-brush an olive green on the top and sides of each brick to make it all jungle-like.
The two coats of dark gray have been applied and now we're dry-brushing on a light gray to bring out the contours and ridges/textures of each stone.
Now stay with me here... I think alot of folks would stop at the above photos and say they're done. More definition is needed to look truly "real". I looked up photos of castles in damp climates like Scotland, and there's a warn look on the top of each brick...
So, I took plain bright white and heavy-dry-brushed it onto each top ledge/surface of every stone (and on the snake head as well). Take a gander below...
But wait... there's more! Yes there is! I didn't stop there... I then took olive green and dry-brushed it fairly heavy on the top and down the right/left sides of each stone. This was to get the damp jungle feeling like in tomb raider, indiana jones etc... It's dramatic and the following pictures don't quite do it justice, mainly because it's night time and I don't have adequate lighting... but you get the idea...
That's right - the following image just happened. It looks all moist and has that jungle atmosphere. Now we're cooking with fire!
We're planning on a dirt ground covering and leaves hanging everywhere... I think we'll also look for something to use as vines.
So! I really really can't wait to take some action photos with this diorama. I'm quite happy with the progress so far. I stare at it for minutes on end in my kitchen.
So far, I have clocked 7 hours on this project since Saturday afternoon, so it's not too time-consuming as you might think.
Cheers! ~ Paul.