JoeDios.com Forums  

Go Back   JoeDios.com Forums > Discussion Forums > JoeDioes.com Forum > How-To
User Name
Password

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

How To - GIJoe Pit Exterior Building! Woot!
Old 11-29-2009, 02:40 PM #1
fifthconspiracy
Smack-Talking Ninja

-->
fifthconspiracy is on a distinguished road -->
Wink How To - GIJoe Pit Exterior Building! Woot!

A totally amateur how-to on creating a hardened concrete bunker. I am totally flying by the seat of my pants here and pretty much have no idea what in the hell I am doing. Comments always welcome.

Ok, first off, my apologies for the missing pics from my previous how-tos (from like almost 2 years ago). I let my personal virtual hosting account lapse and never did get the data etc. If you are interested, you can find most of the pics on my flickr account here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/fifthc...57605011989469/

Anyways, onto some new dio-building action!

Having been inspired by the SDCC 09 photos of the GI Joe Pit display, I decided to embark on my own concrete bunker-style building. I decided that thin plywood from a hobby store was a good building material (foam board crossed my mind, but I have yet to see anyone truly work detailed wonders with it). And for a bottom dio base, I went with an old piece of thick plywood (as there will be no dirt or grass etc).

Here's the start, Chuckles is checking for head-room clearance:

Totally making this up with my table saw and a hack saw as I go. Working with super-thin plywood and making accurate small cuts is difficult.... Vader9900 noted that a small scroll-saw would be the proper tool to use. I may still pick one up...

Using super-thin plywood, adding on the blocks... going for the general look of the SDCC diorama display. And you'll notice I lost the third window... I wanted more wall space to work with. Looking good. Paint app with texture or hammered finish should give it the desired texture.

Onto the paint!

Woot!

Cheers! ~ Paul.

Last edited by fifthconspiracy : 11-29-2009 at 02:41 PM. Reason: Small update...