View Single Post

Old 02-20-2008, 10:09 AM #2
haradrel
Resolute fanboi

-->
haradrel is on a distinguished road -->

Send a message via MSN to haradrel

Step 4:
This is where I would add a final drybrush/highlight to the gun - but I am happy with how it
turned out so I won't do that. (I could also add a wash, but I won't do that either).
If I had chosen to do another drybrush, then I would have to get a lighter metal colour, or
else it would have little effect.
For highlighting you take a fine detail brush (real pointy for detail work) and only paint the
edges where natural light would hit - you get a feel for this after a while, but it takes some
hard work, its easy to go overboard - just the outer edges would be painted like this.
Washing is a technique using watered out paints. They run into the cracks of whatever it is
you are painting and create a natural shadow - its the opposite of drybrushing, where you
create shadows by adding the light, here you add the shadows! - So you can infact do this in
reverse. Paint base colors and then wash over it and be happy with that.
for really detailed weapons/whatever I suggest using all methods. - Drybrush on a base color,
wash over it, drybrush again and highlight! (yes this takes a while)

For the scope, add a lighter version of the base colour at the bottom - I chose a bright
orange for mine - keep in mind that the base color should be visible in the middle!

Step 5:
Add a white dot on the scope where light would naturally fall.
I normally do this at the darkest area to get the best contrast - but it depends on the shape
really.
Also if your hand is steady and breathing is even, add a very thin white line at the opposite
edge on the bottom, this will further create the effect of "shine" or "glare".

Step 6:
Varnish!
put some varnish over it. On the scope use a shiny varnish - you can buy these so that you can
paint them on just like normal paint.
on the gun I would chose a mat varnish, but that's me, some like the real shiny look so try
out a few things and see what you prefer.

Finito!

All in all this took me about 30 minutes and that's with drying time, taking pictures and writing
this!

As you can see, Snake Eyes is pretty happy with it!

Hope this helps/inspires others!

And for any questions when it comes to painting small things, don't be afraid to ask, send me PM
or anything, I'll always answer it to the best of my ability.