Shutter Speed
Old 10-09-2009, 10:51 PM #1
Sonneilon
aka 'Paul WS Anderson' ;)

-->
Sonneilon is on a distinguished road -->

Send a message via MSN to Sonneilon
Default Shutter Speed

I'll admit it, I'm the anal type when it comes to how my pics should look in terms of clarity, color, crispness, etc. I've been trying to explain to Rambo (the Carlito) that shutter speed can change the COLOR of your shot. It's hard to explain to a guy with a VERY SLOW connection. So for those interested, shutter speed is how fast the shutter snaps off the picture. Slow it down for dark/low-light shots and speed it up for bright, sunny shots! I tend to use the inch scale (that falls under the negative shutter speed) to 1/30 or 1/45 for darker shots. For bright shots, I'll go all the way up to 1/1000. I will NOT discuss FRAME RATE/SPEED cuz I haven't figured that out yet.

This is better shown with example.

Can anyone really see the difference? Maybe not, but when you are doing dios and shots are done in sequences, shutter speed can be huge and one is ALWAYS having to adjust it because one moves the light source and/or the camera. What works in one instance might not if you move the camera over 3 inches or whatever.

Now can you see the differences? The fact is, those walls that make up the set are gray. PURE grayscale. (well, the door frames are brightly colored but i'm not talking about those.) So therefore, WHY are there greenish areas??? Shutter speed on YOUR manual settings can throw the colors off if shooting in succession. You don't want prefectly gray walls in 1 shot then green, yellow or reddish shots.

This doesn't just apply to your walls. It also applies to your lighting. You can shoot a regular shot with regular lighting. Change the shutter speed, you can suddenly get YELLOWS or ORANGES at the wrong speeds!

Like I said, this is for Rambo. It takes a more anal eye to see it, but some of us have a particular look for things and if the colors don't show up right, nuts!