View Single Post

Update from the back section!
Old 01-25-2008, 10:08 PM #9
fifthconspiracy
Smack-Talking Ninja

-->
fifthconspiracy is on a distinguished road -->
Talking Update from the back section!

My son and I put in a few hours today working on this project.

It's looking good. Here's a tasty update!

Picked up the staple craft supply "Popsicle Sticks" - then cut the round ends off them to make them look like proper planks/boards. Then my son and I painted them up with acrylic green "olive" paint. Just a light coat - wanted the grain of the wood to show through. Dried quite nice, each board has character.

Stuck all the pieces on, cutting them to fit the structure where necessary. You'll notice that we used smaller sticks as a transistion between the bricks and the wood planks. We also used these smaller sticks for the door frame and window frame. Painted them up just everyday brown prior to cutting and glue. We completed all sides, here's a shot...

Here's a close-up of Snake Eyes against the wall. I'm finding the brick texture a little too-much but we'll see if it works out in the end ;-) The wood wall looks good, with the color and wood grain. Zinger.

Here's a shot of the hole blown through the structure. I positioned the bricks a little out and inward. I snapped the planks after painting. I'll leave the scortch marks until the end. Woot!

Here's the window on the other side. I still have to touch-up the brown wood trim everywhere to hide some imperfections. Should make a nice machine gunners nest.

So, all-in-all this project is moving ahead fine. So far I have 5.5 hours into this little project. Having never done anything like this before, my guesses and hunches are paying off in the end.

The building is turning out to be more of a "shack"... but I guess that's the appeal.

The only thing I'd do different is find a better way to texturize and color the bricks, using the stone-texture spray paint is easy and quick and looks ok, but it covers too much of the brick gap and the texture is out of character with the figures. But maybe that's just me - you decide.

Anyone have any suggestions on a roof type?

Until next time,

Cheers! ~ Paul.