JoeDios.com Forums

JoeDios.com Forums (http://www.joedios.com/forum/index.php)
-   How-To (http://www.joedios.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Lab with lighted floor (http://www.joedios.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3654)

ender098 08-16-2009 11:29 PM

Lab with lighted floor

Ok, here is my “how to” on making a lab with a lighted floor. I got this idea a while back and just needed a push to get it going.

To start with, I needed a floor that would let light pass through it. I used ˝ inch plexi glass that I found in the trash. I placed it on cans of condensed milk so I could set the lights under it.

The problem is it was about 14 too wide. So I was working in a tight space while the lab was up. I first put down my lights (used shop light like you use working on cars) later I got 2 small florescent lights to brighten it up.

ender098 08-16-2009 11:30 PM

But now you can see it’s a “glass” floor with over sized lights. To soften and hide the lights, I taped white tissue paper over the plexiglass.

Now I had the worry of the tissue paper ripping, so I bought some plastic canvas from Walmart. This is a plastic grid-like thingy people use with yarn to make cool things. It’s about $.99 a sheet in the craft department.

I taped them together 3x3 to cover about 85% of the Plexiglass.

ender098 08-16-2009 11:31 PM

The panels that don’t glow on the floor are simply cardboard painted black and placed in areas where I couldn’t cover the plexiglass.

To make the “Bacta tanks” with the corpses “glow”, I bought some “stick up” lights at Walmart and using a Door knob cutter and my drill, cut holes in the cardboard under the tanks. When I wanted them to glow, I simply slid the tanks aside (their bottoms are the same translucent plastic as the tank!) and turned on the lights, then positioned the tanks over them!

ender098 08-16-2009 11:31 PM

To hide the fact I made this on a desk, I used large pieces of black foam board. I built the raised sections with shoe boxes covered with a folded piece of cardboard painted black!

ender098 08-16-2009 11:32 PM

The Result doesn’t look impressive in the light…..

But turn out the garage lights and turn on the lights under the floor and Viola!

ender098 08-16-2009 11:32 PM

Here are some Farwell pictures for one of my favorite sets.

ThinkTank 08-16-2009 11:35 PM

thats a great setup. Very creative. I would steal the floor idea, but, where the hell am I gonna find condensed milk?

ender098 08-16-2009 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkTank
thats a great setup. Very creative. I would steal the floor idea, but, where the hell am I gonna find condensed milk?

I WAS gonna use canned pears...but I eated them! :(

troopsofdoom 08-17-2009 09:05 AM

Looks awesome. Can't wait to see it used in your next chapter.

Da Talent 08-17-2009 09:25 AM

That is so money Frank. Loved this how-to. thanks.