JoeDios.com Forums

JoeDios.com Forums (https://www.joedios.com/forum/index.php)
-   How-To (https://www.joedios.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Creating a Custom Assault Pick-Up (https://www.joedios.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2281)

haradrel 03-14-2008 08:05 PM

You definitely went the extra mile with this in the start.
I have a Humvee project up now, but when I saw how much I had to remove to get to the "guts" of it, I skipped/cheated my way around that part.

If you need some inspiration for weathering then my post might help ( ? ) - Or you might want to go in a completely different direction! - I like my vehicles dirty, scraped up and looking pretty abused. And there are also a lot more techniques on how to weather a vehicle then the short explanations I have in my article.

I'm looking forward to how this assault pick-up will turn out in the end. It definitely served as inspiration for me when I started working with my stuff!
:)

Da Talent 03-21-2008 10:51 PM

Front Grill

So the pickup definitly has to have some sort of brush bar to protect the radiator when bashing through road blocks. I tried several brush bars that I have off different hummers and trucks but they all came off looking, way TOO cool. This is supposed to be a low budget Cobra conversion so I couldn't use them. Instead I took the undercarriage off a Majesto hummer, cut it a little and formed it into a grill. I mangled it up like it like it has seen damage and its un symetric design, screams just welded together in minutes. Once painted it will look sweet.

Da Talent 03-21-2008 10:55 PM

damage control

So before I start painting, I wanted some battle damage. I took a small drill bit and used my dremel to make some bullet holes and mess up the fenders. I also used my dremel to hollow out one of the spot lights on top of the cab for that "shot out" look.

Da Talent 03-21-2008 10:57 PM

painting

When I go to weather and paint I use 4 steps

Black
Silver
Rust
Mud

So I started with black and colored in all the damage and added some general dirty streaks

Da Talent 03-21-2008 10:58 PM

silver time

now its time to go nuts with bare metal!

Da Talent 03-21-2008 10:59 PM

rust

no to add a little rust to the areas of metal

Da Talent 03-21-2008 11:02 PM

dirty fun

time to add some mud.

Now this my personl favorite trick. I have a little bottle of brown paint I never shake and mix. I dip my bottle deep in it and put a glob of the paint on the truck, then I use a piece of paper to smear it in like mud

I guess the type of paper doesn't matter, But don't use news paper bc it absorbs and rips easily. I usually use reciepts because there finish doesn't absorb and I have tons of them, lol

Da Talent 03-21-2008 11:05 PM

final result!

still waiting on some roll-bar stuff, here is the final result for now. Enjoy, hope it helps.

Sephron13 03-21-2008 11:21 PM

Amazing job man! Someday, something like this MIGHT just have to be attempted by me. I love the battle damage. That's battle damage done right, right there! Kudos!

(Vegas definitely can be a bitch...3 times out, 3 times down $500...but, man was it fun losing it, haha :rolleyes: )

haradrel 03-22-2008 07:12 AM

Looking real awesome man!