JoeDios.com Forums

JoeDios.com Forums (http://www.joedios.com/forum/index.php)
-   How-To (http://www.joedios.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Two Story House (http://www.joedios.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2194)

Tracker 02-19-2008 03:52 AM

Two Story House

I haven't taken any step by step photos because I'm not doing any thing different ,yet, than what's in fifthconspiracy how-to: Which is an awesome how-to thank you and your son.

Here are a few shot as promised. I am using fun foam for the window frames

Out side shot ( Stalker is moving to make sure Cobra doesn't take over the unfinished building. He's made sure to use a silencer on the gun.)

Inside shot (Cobra Commander say to his General: G.i. Joe will never suspect that we are using this unfinished house to stage my latest plan...Mu ha ha)

Close up of Stalker walking up the stairs (I was lucky and found a pattern for stairs on-line with a person in the picture for scale.

Just close up picture on the computer console I made to match the chairs that's available here. i haven't posted them yet, because I'm waiting for permission from the creator of the chairs. I use graphics from the chairs so the consoles would match. (Can you tell what's on the screen)

Sephron13 02-19-2008 04:15 AM

Hey man, that's pretty darn cool. I LOVE those stairs! Very nice job! I was wondering if you were going to post this or not, as you and fifth were discussing it in my posted pic earlier. I like where this is heading. What else do you plan on doing to it? How about the exterior, any ideas?

Great start! Please be sure with us as you move along! :D

Tracker 02-19-2008 04:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephron13
What else do you plan on doing to it? How about the exterior, any ideas?

Great start! Please be sure with us as you move along! :D

Thanks sorry i was a little late in posting pictures.

Unfortunately that's where I'm stuck. I'm trying to decide what I want to do with the exterior. I am also cornered about lighting for the lower floor and debating on what I can do about it.

fifthconspiracy 02-19-2008 11:14 AM

Wow! Shazbam!

Nice Structure! I like the windows, and that staircase! Wow, that's da bomb! That's gonna look great when it's done.

I see your dilemma on the lower level lighting issue. I'm guessing you didn't make the second storey removeable from the first... you could cut out a hole in the floor of the second storey, that is then removable and replaceable at will. Otherwise you will have no overhead light for taking pics on the first level.

Again, bravo on the stairs. Nice.

What exterior are you thinking for this building? My two bits - I'd do the first floor brick, and the top floor a different texture like wood planks. Or all Brick would look good. Regardless, I would suggest something protruding, like a ledge to seperate the exterior first and second floors.

Looks great Tracker! Thanks for posting. I think this is a first for joedios.com - 3 diorama how-to's simultaneously going down. Exciting stuff.

Cheers! ~ Paul.

haradrel 02-19-2008 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracker
(Can you tell what's on the screen)

The Stargate? Do I win a cookie?

Looks very promising!

Tracker 02-20-2008 02:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haradrel
The Stargate? Do I win a cookie?

Looks very promising!

It from the computer display in the Stargate control room :D

unfortunately have have no cookies :(

Tracker 02-20-2008 02:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fifthconspiracy
Nice Structure! I like the windows, and that staircase! Wow, that's da bomb! That's gonna look great when it's done.

I see your dilemma on the lower level lighting issue. I'm guessing you didn't make the second storey removeable from the first... you could cut out a hole in the floor of the second storey, that is then removable and replaceable at will. Otherwise you will have no overhead light for taking pics on the first level.

Again, bravo on the stairs. Nice.

What exterior are you thinking for this building? My two bits - I'd do the first floor brick, and the top floor a different texture like wood planks. Or all Brick would look good. Regardless, I would suggest something protruding, like a ledge to seperate the exterior first and second floors.

Looks great Tracker! Thanks for posting. I think this is a first for joedios.com - 3 diorama how-to's simultaneously going down. Exciting stuff.

Cheers! ~ Paul.

It's all one piece... as far as the lighting; I am leaning toward cutting a whole in the floor and making so it can be cover up. I am also thinking of using the light defusing method that's in Sonneilon compound how-to; to make a ceiling light for the lower floor. It's not to late to try it at this point.

As for the exterior I'm still stuck on that. I would like to do brick for the whole thing, but that a lot of bricks to make. I want to do awnings over the door and windows, and possibly do a porch, but i not sure about the porch,

Tracker 02-25-2008 10:44 AM

Small update on the house.

I forgot to take build pictures of the ceiling light, but as you can see I cut a hole
in the floor of the second story and used fun foam to frame a ceiling light. I glued it together using tacky glue.

I plan to use a card stock carpet to cover up the hole when not using the
first floor. This carpet is too short ,but it shows what I want to do.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

I covered the hole up for the next pictures.

Light with hole covered up.

Light with hole uncovered. I think the light with also be better when I have light shinning threw the windows.

Sephron13 02-25-2008 03:09 PM

Hey, great progress! I'm liking it so far, quite a bit! Great idea with the card-stock carpet! Also, that frame looks great! Keep at it, man!

fifthconspiracy 02-25-2008 07:55 PM

Nice!

Nice ceiling light save! From your test shot there on the first floor, looks like it was sucessful. This is a great idea for others who attempt a 2-storey (such as myself soon). Thanks for keeping us updated...

Both Sephron13 and I are eye'n your dio like a hungry fat kid on a jelly doughnut. Work it baby. Work it.

But now I'm lusting for where you're going to take this project. The stairs, the windows, the ceiling light - what's next?

Cheers! ~ Paul.

Tracker 02-26-2008 09:16 AM

Next is me going out to get masking tape as I ran out on the stairs and to figure out an easy way to cut a ton o bricks using the fun foam. I'm thinking of getting a new onion copper and seeing if it works. If it doesn't work then I'll have something to dice onions with :). I still want to do an all brick building.

Also the roof I want to do something that will fit over it like a shoe box lid but have a similar structure to Sephron13 roof.

Sephron13 02-26-2008 10:38 AM

:) I'm flattered. Glad you like it. You'll probably like it more once it's weathered a bit. I know I will! I can't wait to see more of your building. It'll look killer as an all brick one...but, what a pain in the arse to do. I don't envy you that! Keep the updates coming though...definitely diggin' 'em!

Tracker 02-26-2008 01:01 PM

NP I can't wait to see what you have in store. It's very inspiring to see what you've done.

Tracker 03-06-2008 03:30 PM

Small update:

I decided on doing the porch. The support beams are made using chopsticks and since most Chinese restaurants give them out for free it was a good solution. First I used tacky-glue to glue the porch to the house, which you can see in the pics. I allowed it to was dry enough for to stay in place but pliable enough to let me raise it up to add the beams. I had to cut the floor of the porch a bit to fit is the door frame but that was fairly easy.

Top view

Front View

haradrel 03-06-2008 03:44 PM

Ooo
Digging the progress! Nice touch with the firemen there, so we get to see the scale (and since its not finished, could look burned out/like a training house)

Sephron13 03-06-2008 04:10 PM

Oooh, that's really cool looking! Great job man! Love those firefighters, too. Good idea with the chop sticks! Use what you have available! It's coming along very nicely. Thanks for the update!

fifthconspiracy 03-06-2008 09:16 PM

Nice-ola!

Very nice Tracker... Now cover up that building with some material!

It's looking slick so far... needs real-world texture and it'll POP!

Cheers! ~ Paul.

Tracker 03-07-2008 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haradrel
Ooo
Digging the progress! Nice touch with the firemen there, so we get to see the scale (and since its not finished, could look burned out/like a training house)

Thanks
Yea that's exactly way I used them in the picture. i just got them and they looked cool with the unfinished house :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephron13
Oooh, that's really cool looking! Great job man! Love those firefighters, too. Good idea with the chop sticks! Use what you have available! It's coming along very nicely. Thanks for the update!

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by fifthconspiracy
Very nice Tracker... Now cover up that building with some material!

It's looking slick so far... needs real-world texture and it'll POP!

Cheers! ~ Paul.

Thank you
Don't worry now that I've finally decided on the porch. I'm ready to put on a covering.
I'm half way thinking of print up some realistic brick textures and gluing the print outs to the outer wall or a vinyl siding texture I also found.

Tracker 03-12-2008 02:08 PM

Small update progress report lots o pictures: :P

I started painting. First I used the masking tape to hide the cut areas of card board, which I think improve the look some I was surprised.

First floor shot to show the light fixture.

Now some shots show that I painted the house using red primer.

I covered the poles with masking tape. I might make those a different color.

Now time to make the roof and paint the stairs, install them as well as make a back drop flat. :D

fifthconspiracy 03-12-2008 02:33 PM

Wow! Shebang!

Tracker! Tracker! Tracker!

This is looking schweet - like a ripe mango rolling on the deck of cuban raft full of hungry folks with scurvy.

I too like how the masking-tape covering worked wonders here... and when you apply a solid base color, how it hides imperfections in the material.

I simply cannot wait to see this progress. I would wager a race to the diorama finish between you and Sephron13 ;-)

Cheers! ~ Paul.

Sephron13 03-12-2008 11:32 PM

Ha, go Tracker, GOOOOO!!

I am loving it so much! I liked it a lot when you first started posting pics, but man, this has come a long way and I'm just really loving it. Now, what you have to do, is make a couple of others, maybe throw in a 1 story and a 3 story :) and make a street, and then it'd just be all sorts of WOOHOO!

The inside is great. Again, love how you're pulling off the lighting issue with the first floor. That porch is also very spectacular.

I don't care if you win, man, as I really want to see it finished as soon as possible!

Tracker 03-13-2008 08:56 PM

Thanks fifth and Sep

Trust me I'm not trying to race I'm just trying to figure this stuff out as I go along. I was think of add glass to my windows before i saw your your lasted up date. I'm wondering what you used for glass and what exactly you did to insert the "glass". I'm thinking of use clear plastic from some PTE figures package for window "glass".

Sephron13 03-13-2008 09:32 PM

All I did was take some clear plastic, such as what you're going to use, cut it out larger than the window hole, but small enough that the frame would hide it, and hot glued it on there. Very easy and effective. It's nice that I'm able to help with something!! :) Makes me feel useful!