JoeDios.com Forums

JoeDios.com Forums (http://www.joedios.com/forum/index.php)
-   How-To (http://www.joedios.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Humvee Project - How to/turtorial (http://www.joedios.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2309)

haradrel 03-14-2008 07:57 PM

Humvee Project - How to/turtorial

Bought this sucker from ebay to make it into one of my small projects (I have many now :rolleyes: )

Well the first thing I had to do was get the stickers off (since it was used). This was simple, I just used my nails and peeled them off. After taking off everything that should come off, I ended up with the start of the Humvee that looked like this:

Next step was taping over the "glass" - I didn't have any masking tape which I would have preferred, but black electrical tape does the trick just as well if you are carefull.

After that was done a base coat/undercoat was applied - I wanted a "special forces" look, so I went for a black Humvee.

Now then, I wanted the Humvee to look used - so out come the brushes and paint. First stop was weathering the undercarriage and wheels.

I here first applied a watery (about 70% water 30% paint) cover and tried to stipple, stripe where water/mud etc would normally be carried off from the wheels. Before it dried completely I dabbed some toilet paper over it, taking most of it away but leaving a small sheen of color/water, which I would use as my base for the weathering.

Next was the actual weathering, add dark brown paint, almost to the edges of the dabbed base. But I let a small edge of it show, as it gives the effect of dried mud/water.

Step after this was adding a stronger brown color closer to the edge - again this gives the effect that it is drying mud and that the closest to the tires are the most recent mud. On this project I used a reference picture from Battlefield Bad Company to look where mud would be applied. Even if you have a good idea of how you want it to be, or how you think it should be, having some sort of reference picture is always a neat idea and might be an eye opener at some point during such a project.

haradrel 03-14-2008 07:58 PM

Humvee Project continued

Next after this was dry brushing metal on the edges of any surface. This gives it a worn look, this baby has seen action! been abused and used to the fullest.
I didn't add any battle damage (yet), but more on that in some later postings

The Humvee is about 80% finished, I still have lots of small details to add, and some stuff to fix. Not least of all the pintle-mounted 50.cals (or m249's I haven't decided yet ...)

But its good enough to take pictures of now ;)

fifthconspiracy 03-14-2008 10:17 PM

Thank You!

Haradrel, thanks for posting this... the step-by-step pics make it easy to follow. I will be trying this shortly.

Appreciated your write-up.

The final product looks totally sick.

Cheers! ~ Paul.

haradrel 03-15-2008 04:17 AM

No problem mate ;)
I plan on doing more of these how-to's/tutorials, I just need to find the time to sit myself down and paint/make stuff.

Keep in mind that the Humvee is only about 70% finished, there is still a lot of work to do! (which I will take pictures off).

I noticed that the lighter brown in the pictures appear way to warm, its not like that in real life. I'll try to get a few photos of it outside today in natural daylight to show you what I mean. (and if that doesn't work I'll do a 50/50 mix of the dark brown with the light brown and paint over it, only leaving the lightest brown at the further most edges (highlighting).

haradrel 03-15-2008 04:39 AM

Progress report:

Well the painting hasn't gone any further yet, but I took a few snapshots outside in better light today (even though it was raining :rolleyes: )

Here you can see how the dry brushing really paid off on the rivets and bolts, as well as the edges.

A side view of the action - notice the mud is a tad light (so I might darken that down a bit)

and the last picture

WildBill 03-15-2008 11:32 PM

cool! thanks for sharing.