Password

If you could construct the G.I.JOE HQ?
Old 09-24-2009, 07:32 PM #1
Urban Saboteur
Legendary Saboteur

-->
Urban Saboteur is on a distinguished road -->

Send a message via MSN to Urban Saboteur
Question If you could construct the G.I.JOE HQ?

Alrighty,
I thought I would open up a topic about the G.I.JOE HQ. I'm referring of course to
The Pit. Lets say you've been given the task of architect or lead designer, the top brass have already informed you of the teams capabilities and their mission.

What do you do? Would you construct something like Hama did in the comics, underground base hidden under a church/chapel school?

Would you do somehting more like the Tactical Battle Platform?
The HQ from 83? the Mobile Command Center? The General? Or the Pit from the recent Roc release is maybe your fancy?

So many possibilities. Admittedly there are one or two different advantages and disadvantages to construction, the others seem to me to be mobile strike bases for on the move action, where as the Pit from the comic and the Command Center from the cartoon or HQ 83 are more stationary.

I'd like to also ask what rooms would you have, it might help to view that link of the comic pit base layout to give you an idea.

I thought this would make an interesting discussion, considering the release of the new Roc Pit playset and of course everyone probably will have different likenesses. If you have pictures & links to explain your designs please do attach them in your posts.
Urban Saboteur Stories

Social Sites & Communities
Facebook
Flickr
Tweet Me

Old 09-24-2009, 07:49 PM #2
dodger38619

-->
dodger38619 is on a distinguished road -->

Send a message via MSN to dodger38619 Send a message via Yahoo to dodger38619

oh wow this will take thinking and planning .

Old 09-24-2009, 07:57 PM #3
ThinkTank
Unmasked

-->
ThinkTank is on a distinguished road -->

I would totally go with the underground fort concept. With the right materials, the building of it would be relatively straightforward. Plus, you wouldn't have to worry so much about exterior walls because of the "cutaway" concept you'd be doing in the first place.

What type of rooms would you have in your base?
Old 09-25-2009, 01:11 AM #4
Urban Saboteur
Legendary Saboteur

-->
Urban Saboteur is on a distinguished road -->

Send a message via MSN to Urban Saboteur
Question What type of rooms would you have in your base?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkTank
I would totally go with the underground fort concept. With the right materials, the building of it would be relatively straightforward. Plus, you wouldn't have to worry so much about exterior walls because of the "cutaway" concept you'd be doing in the first place.

What about in toy concept terms.. I'm thinking about the many different corridors and rooms.. what type of rooms would you have?
Urban Saboteur Stories

Social Sites & Communities
Facebook
Flickr
Tweet Me

The Pit/Joe HQ toy
Old 09-25-2009, 10:01 AM #5
cyko
Plastic Sciences, Ph.D

-->
cyko is on a distinguished road -->
Default The Pit/Joe HQ toy

The new Pit reminds me of the MCC, but I admit, I like the approach. It works as a vehicle (outer gun stations and railings) and a playset HQ (but there's a lot of cardboard). I would've just called it the MCC Mk.2 or something. A mobile command center, not the Pit.

Now for a real Pit playset, I think it's got to be limited to 2 or 3 levels so it's not much larger than the vintage Death Star playset. Comparable to the Terror Drome. Rooms/sections:
1) Ops w/big screen computer terminals. RoC or Sunbow, doesn't matter. Needs to be most accessible. An office on the side for Hawk would be cool, but not essential.
2) Motor Pool. With some tools like you see in Dios. Remember that '83 Star Wars set that had, like, 12 wrenches? Joe needs these. I'm torn whether the motor pool should have "gun ports" like the '83 HQ. And I'd put it on the bottom level with some garage doors.
3) Infirmary. Joe has to get one of these. Where's Doc doing surgery?
4) Armory. A small room to stock weapons. Doesn't have to be huge, but needs some gun racks similar to the TTBP. The Flagg didn't quite get it right.
5) Jail. An inquisition room would be a lot of fun (with table and "bright light").
6) Elevator linking the levels and top.

Generators could be included anywhere on the set. Essential, but they don't need a whole room. Also, I wouldn't argue for a briefing room nor a practice firing range. A training room with punching bag and weight bench would be cool, but of limited use.

I'm also torn as to whether the top of the playset has a small shack or just an open roof. I don't think it needs a vehicle lift, although even the base in RoC had one like the original.

Old 09-25-2009, 10:47 AM #6
lehsreh
G.I. Smurf

-->
lehsreh is on a distinguished road -->

Send a message via MSN to lehsreh Send a message via Yahoo to lehsreh

not underground, but rather sitting atop a hill with a shelter underground linking to a escape route. it would have miles of empty space. like in a desert so anything approaching can be seen with very early warning systems and monitoring on a global scale. about 3 miles out in every direction would be a wall with only an straight road opening at the front. a mile between the wall and pitt would be littered with mines and whatnot with 2 miles outside the wall with sensors. it should be a lot easier to attack the pentagon then the pitt. i understand the secret underground thing would be nice so no one could attack you, but with the right stuff it would be obscene for them to attempt it in the first place. and lets face it, if cobra was what they are in the comics/cartoons they will find the pitt. id rather have one in the open ready to defend rather then one hidden underground whos main defense is to hide.

Old 09-25-2009, 12:19 PM #7
Scuba Steve
lives in armored pinapple

-->
Scuba Steve is on a distinguished road -->

Funny you ask!

for the past several months one of the hangups with my dio story is construction of the pit. My original design was coming along great but slow, then I got a whole new idea that was such an improvement over the first I had to start over. It is going to be based on the underground idea. most secret instillations are subterainian. Its easily defensable and unfindable by current satallite spy tech! Without giving too much away I can tell you it will have a cover facility above ground and that facility will be located in one of the many CIA black sites (possably a decomissioned one) The remaining details are either unfinished or I chose not to say to keep it's unveiling somewhat of a surprise! You have no idea how bad I want to finish this project and reveal it to you guys! currently time and budget are killing me.

Old 09-25-2009, 02:32 PM #8
sgcaper
Zombie Hunter

-->
sgcaper is on a distinguished road -->

Send a message via AIM to sgcaper

I would stay away from the mobile style. Where could they go? Really? They just scream, "Top Secret Military force coming through!"

For my fanfic the Pitt is in middle America, it's underground. Above it is an army base, a Reserve base to be specific, this way military traffic and the like don't draw any extra attention. I have a motorpool, DFAC, barracks, firing range / armory, gym, com center, infirmary, R&D dept., various offices and meeting rooms, and several escape tunnels.

I don't see the Joes as having an underground ocean or any of that nonsense.

Check out the ATR

www.allthatremains2010.webs.com

Old 09-25-2009, 03:19 PM #9
Flatline
THEY ARE NOT DOLLS!!!

-->
Flatline is on a distinguished road -->

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba Steve
Funny you ask!

for the past several months one of the hangups with my dio story is construction of the pit. My original design was coming along great but slow, then I got a whole new idea that was such an improvement over the first I had to start over. It is going to be based on the underground idea. most secret instillations are subterainian. Its easily defensable and unfindable by current satallite spy tech! Without giving too much away I can tell you it will have a cover facility above ground and that facility will be located in one of the many CIA black sites (possably a decomissioned one) The remaining details are either unfinished or I chose not to say to keep it's unveiling somewhat of a surprise! You have no idea how bad I want to finish this project and reveal it to you guys! currently time and budget are killing me.

NO EXCUSES PATRICK! I WANT TO SEE IT TOO

Old 09-25-2009, 04:06 PM #10
Rambo
ARAH for O-ringers

-->
Rambo is on a distinguished road -->

Send a message via MSN to Rambo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatline
NO EXCUSES PATRICK! I WANT TO SEE IT TOO

Agree!!! any preview?

It is not the GI Joe HQ but I've always liked the concept of the Terror Drome at "Arise Serpentor Arise" and 1987 movie.

HEROES DON'T DIE, THEY JUST RELOAD

Last edited by Rambo : 09-25-2009 at 04:12 PM.