Password

Vintage O-Ring Molds Destroyed?
Old 08-15-2009, 10:14 PM #1
Lava Boss
Veteran

-->
Lava Boss is on a distinguished road -->
Default Vintage O-Ring Molds Destroyed?

The report is that at the Collectors Club roundtable, it was revealed that Hasbro destroyed large amounts of vintage ARAH tools rather than pay to store it. The club got the chance to save some select molds but there was too much to save all of.

Nice, real nice.

I didn't expect ARAH molds to return at retail, but...what the heck? Couldn't they have just sold them to someone else...I guess they wouldn't want bootlegs out there.

Old 08-15-2009, 11:17 PM #2
Death_at_Midnight
Cobra R & D

-->
Death_at_Midnight is on a distinguished road -->

That is disappointing.

Old 08-16-2009, 12:05 AM #3
Outrider
It's been a great ride!

-->
Outrider is on a distinguished road -->

Send a message via MSN to Outrider Send a message via Yahoo to Outrider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lava Boss
The report is that at the Collectors Club roundtable, it was revealed that Hasbro destroyed large amounts of vintage ARAH tools rather than pay to store it. The club got the chance to save some select molds but there was too much to save all of.

Nice, real nice.

I didn't expect ARAH molds to return at retail, but...what the heck? Couldn't they have just sold them to someone else...I guess they wouldn't want bootlegs out there.

The b@stards! Why am I not surprised? Hasbro can kiss my hairy @rse!

Old 08-16-2009, 02:35 AM #4
lardman

-->
lardman is on a distinguished road -->

Quote:
destroyed large amounts of vintage ARAH tools rather than pay to store it.

Surely the moulds themselves are pretty small, it's the injection moulding machines that are large?

I also imagine that there would have been multiple machines running in parallel, and therefore lots of moulds made from a master. Perhaps they are talking about destroying all of these multiples rather than the master? (He says hopefully, feeling pain at the waste otherwise)

Old 08-16-2009, 08:44 AM #5
ToneGunsRevisited
O Bope vai te pegar

-->
ToneGunsRevisited will become famous soon enough -->

Send a message via MSN to ToneGunsRevisited

Geez!

Old 08-16-2009, 08:51 AM #6
rnrhero
I'm Really Cool.

-->
rnrhero is on a distinguished road -->

From what I understand, the molds are huge. Making 100 plus figures at a time. I wonder what ones got saved. I know the club has made new head molds and such in the past, I wonder if they will be willing to make more like that. I overheard Brian this weekend saying that he was selling most of his backstock for under cost just to keep moving forward with new stuff. Makes you wonder what the future of o-ring figures will be.
They announced last night that the next year con will be in RI near the Hasbro HQ. 15 hour drive and this years was 12. I wonder if I can make that. Its also in april so 8 months from now. We will be getting an 0-ring Big Lobb as next years membership fig. THat is awsomme.

My Flickr

My Want List

My Photography Page

Old 08-16-2009, 09:48 AM #7
lardman

-->
lardman is on a distinguished road -->

Ah right, of course they'd have multiple-component moulds, silly me.

Thanks for the info.

Old 08-16-2009, 10:59 AM #8
zedhatch
Veteran

-->
zedhatch is on a distinguished road -->

I am not sure how much stock I would put into these statements.

Remember the TRU Cobra troops, they said then that the head mold was gone, then suddenly they maraculously found it by sending ninjas into a secret factory in china and stealing them back (OK that was a bit of hyperbole, but there was this silly story about the factory being shut down and Hasbro going in heroicly and saving them).

And jsut in time for the comic packs to arrive at retail too, HMMMMM. This was after the joe community split again on the trooper heads (new and old) like they split on everything LOL.

Still over the years I have found too many tall tails from both big H and MC to believe anything they say with anything more than a grain of salt.

http://www.zedsjoesite.com Home Scale Wars updated Mon-Fri Every Week

Old 08-16-2009, 12:19 PM #9
Lava Boss
Veteran

-->
Lava Boss is on a distinguished road -->

Word is from people at the con is that a lot of the molds were already rusting and would cost more to refurbish rather than make new from scratch.

Still seems a like shame they let them get that way. And this will affect any future o-ring offerings, but it already seems the club is moving away from them anyway.

There's always some bad news to come out of the convention.

Old 08-16-2009, 12:25 PM #10
Sonneilon
aka 'Paul WS Anderson' ;)

-->
Sonneilon is on a distinguished road -->

Send a message via MSN to Sonneilon

Dont' forget that a lot of molds were 'lost' down in South America or something.

ALso, a ton of molds were loaned out to some company in which, THOSE got lost too.

Consider that maybe, JUST maybe the last of the o-ring molds they got rid of have been the parts we've seen the last few years when they were doing the ARAH-style comic packs. I don't know what molds they decided to destroy, but I'm guessing that they were molds I wouldn't cry over. Hasbro prolly should've kept the molds that actually had GOOD designs to it. I'm thinking of Tunnel Rat and Falcon's molds over, oh, Ice Cream Soldier, Fast Draw, Raptor and Blowtorch.

But anyway, continue lamenting.