The Comic Box #2
Old 01-20-2007, 08:42 AM #1
Sonneilon
aka 'Paul WS Anderson' ;)

-->
Sonneilon is on a distinguished road -->

Send a message via MSN to Sonneilon
Exclamation The Comic Box #2

Welcome to The Comic Box. This is a discussion thread for the GI Joe comics. We start at Marvel’s #1 and move thru the series every Wednesday. It’s a chance to give your thoughts, opinions and remarks about the comic in question.

GI Joe #2. Panic at the North Pole.

The Joes are sent to the North Pole to investigate an American research station and find themselves in a race to stop the killer from getting away.

Larry Hama introduces Kwinn who will show up a few more times later on in the series. We also see what some of the Joes are doing in their off time. Of particular interest is the fact that Snake Eyes is revealed to be ultra weird!
Please discuss!

-image from yojoe.com-

*sorry, this shoulda been posted last Wednesday. Still getting the routine down.

Last edited by Sonneilon : 01-31-2007 at 07:57 AM.

Old 01-20-2007, 12:32 PM #2
Outrider
It's been a great ride!

-->
Outrider is on a distinguished road -->

Send a message via MSN to Outrider Send a message via Yahoo to Outrider

This is one of my favourites of the early issues. Great setting and storyline, and memorable for the introduction of Kwinn, one of Larry Hama's great characters. (We still haven't had a worthy Kwinn figure, but the comic pack one is better than nothing.) As I have said before, I didn't get into the comics until issue #67 or thereabouts. When I finally chased down and read all of the earlier issues, this one stood up well against the best of the great era from the issues in the #50's through to the #80's.

Old 01-21-2007, 05:54 PM #3
Lava Boss
Veteran

-->
Lava Boss is on a distinguished road -->

It's a good issue, though this begins the Scarlett, Snake-Eyes and Stalker love that overshadows the other original team members.

I had forgotten Kwinn was doing a job for the Soviets, not Cobra, in this issue.

Old 01-21-2007, 06:08 PM #4
Sonneilon

-->

What's amusing is that Hama centered the whole joeverse around a few characters. I don't remember the interview where he actually stated that.

I never actually owned the single copy of this. I finally got to read this years later when the digests came out. And then, when the TPB showed up even more years later. I loved the training sequence at the beginning and then plopping them in the snow. I thought it was an excellent story and cool to see how Cobra wasn't the only enemy. And let's face it, the team by the end of the book, were ready to kick booty. I wouldn't want to be on the receiving end!

Old 01-21-2007, 08:17 PM #5
Self-Modifier
Crossover King Emeritus

-->
Self-Modifier is on a distinguished road -->

I like the sort of desolation in this issue, as the Joes are all alone in the arctic, and at one point left stranded. And I love, love, love the final few panels, as we see the group walking slowly towards us (and the Soviets).

Also, I like that Quinn's mission in this issue retroactively formed the basis for a Cobra plot years later, around issue #70-something.

is on indefinite hiatus...

Old 01-22-2007, 08:47 PM #6
General Scarlett
Hell hath no fury....

-->
General Scarlett is on a distinguished road -->

This issue was really good-and it could very well have played as an awesome 'Special Missions'.

Coming soon: 'JoeSpecialOps'

GI Joe#2
Old 01-23-2007, 03:46 PM #7
rds13601
I'm insane

-->
rds13601 is on a distinguished road -->
Thumbs up GI Joe#2

Number 2 was a great story; with great characters and a realistic scenario. Kwinn was a great character. He should never have been killed off.

Old 01-31-2007, 07:58 AM #8
Sonneilon

-->

I'm so lame. I thought the training in the snow was this issue, but it turns out it was #7 or so. Maybe I should read the issue instead of relying on my memory! lol

Old 01-31-2007, 06:36 PM #9
silencer
Veteran

-->
silencer is on a distinguished road -->

This comic is a favourite of mine. I love everything about it, I don't know what else to say.