General Photography and Lighting
Old 01-16-2008, 08:00 PM #1
DaveCW2
Happy Camera Fun Time!

-->
DaveCW2 is on a distinguished road -->
News General Photography and Lighting

Hey gang,

A while back, I was asked to put up a photography tutorial at Hisstank. This is it pretty much verbatim, but I thought it may do some good here, as well. I'm certainly not an expert, and welcome anyone else's input regarding the "how-to"s of photography, but I'll see what I can do in the meantime.

This is a fairly basic set-up. It contains:

Three lights - the two metal ones can be picked up at Meijer, but I'm certain similar stores have their own variety. I can't remember the cost of them, but for some reason I'm thinking $40.00 per. They each have 100W Reveal light bulbs in them. The other light's a fairly cheap bendy deal, and also has a 100W Reveal in it.

-You want lights. Try not to have to use your camera's flash unless you're going for a washed-out/harsh shadow effect. You see my set-up, but really, it's all about the effect YOU want. A lot of photography relies on a harsh light on one side, with a softer light on the other - this is where it's ALL about placement. The third light (and fourth, fifth, however many you want to use), you use however you see fit until you have your desired effect.

Lighting can be tricky. If anyone wants some extra help with it, just let me know.

Poster board - Oh yeah, only the most high-tech equipment for zee studio of DaveCW2

A garbage can (preferably full) - I propped the posterboard against it, which reminds me: I need some more Double Stuf OREOS!

-Of course, you don't HAVE to use a garbage can to prop up the posterboard

Now for the rest of the equipment:

Get a tripod. Any tripod will do. You want to avoid the probability of having your camera shake ever so slightly when you're going for those "Supaaahh Cleaaahh" shots.

And now, the camera:

I'm lucky enough to be using a camera with a fully Manual setting. What I mean by that, is that I can control the f-stop (controls the photo's clarity) and the shutter speed (controls how much light is allowed into the shot) independently. My camera (okay, really it's work's camera) has a Manual focus setting, as well.

All those features are great to have, but if you don't have 'em, don't worry. To be totally honest, you can get great shots with any camera that allows you to avoid using the flash.

Terms:

F-Stop - Like I said, this controls the clarity of the image. Here's a fairly simple, and accurate description: http://drawnfreak.deviantart.com/ar...inners-27843447

Shutter Speed - Controls the amount of light you let into your image. A slow shutter speed allows a lot of light, and will make your picture bright. A fast shutter speed doesn't allow much light, and will make your picture dark. A happy medium's good, unless you're lookin' for bright and/or moody effects.

-Of course, F-Stop and Shutter Speed work together, so if you adjust one, you probably want to adjust the other (on some lesser expensive cameras, they may adjust together automatically), depending on effect.

Edit: I almost forgot about your ISO setting. When taking stills, you want your ISO fairly low. For my shots, it's set at 100. Setting it at a high ISO can make your pictures look "grainy". Higher ISO are generally used for shots involving movement (like if you need to take a picture of someone playing soccer).

So, start snappin' some pics, put 'em in here, or send 'em to me via PMs, and I'll do whatever I can to help you make them look how you want 'em to look.

Have fun, all... and happy photo... uhh... ing.

Holy crap! There were five troop builders in 1985 - what am I getting myself into!?!

Last edited by Hammerfel : 01-18-2008 at 08:39 PM.

Old 01-16-2008, 09:42 PM #2
Flatline
THEY ARE NOT DOLLS!!!

-->
Flatline is on a distinguished road -->

NICE TIPS HERE. YOUR WALK THROUGH CERTINLY DID "SHINE SOME LIGHT" ON THE SUBJECT.... ......SORRY THAT WAS A BAD PUN. BUT GREAT JOB AND THANKS.

Old 01-17-2008, 02:47 PM #3
vader9900
To old to play with toys!

-->
vader9900 is on a distinguished road -->

Thanks for posting this. That F-stop / shutter speed tutorial is awesome. I took my camera off auto last night & spent 4 HOURS playing with the F-stop & shutter speed. I was able to have a figure point a gun straight at the camera & the gun was not blurred, friggin awesome! I also tried layering figures - some up front, some in the middle & some to the rear - they came out all in focus!!!! I am so stoked! I slowed down the shutter speed, took a pic of a helicopter, I spun the rotors, the result - the rotors were blurred, it lookd real with no photoshop tricks!

I have a set up very simular to yours, with 3 lights, I use natural sunlight fluorescent bulbs, they don't seem to be as yellow as others I have tried. I have a "photo studio in a box" that makes a light tent, that stops alot of the reflection on the figures. I have used poster board backdrops, right not I an using foam sheets, they clean easy, come in a bunch of colors & sizes, are very cheap and have no glare.

Thanks again for your help, the auto setting is great for a quick shot, but I look forward to seeing exactly what my camera can accomplish!

"It ain't about how hard you hit, but how hard you can get hit, how much you can take and keep moving forward - thats how winning is done!" Rocky Balboa

Old 01-17-2008, 07:58 PM #4
Sonneilon
aka 'Paul WS Anderson' ;)

-->
Sonneilon is on a distinguished road -->

Send a message via MSN to Sonneilon

Luke posted something like this awhile back but since he's got a degree in photography and graphic arts, it can be hard to comprehend since he uses big words. But I learned everything I know from him (give or take Frank). shoot with an 80ISO, shutter speed is variable, F-stop is... I have no idea... I never shoot with a flash unless I'm doing a fast shot where I don't care. But it's great you posted this up. Should help out a few people.

Old 01-18-2008, 03:02 PM #5
Sephron13
Death from above!!

-->
Sephron13 is on a distinguished road -->

Send a message via AIM to Sephron13

This is great! Thanks so much for posting this. I've been fooling around with my camera's settings and finally got it to where I like it, but I had no idea what I was doing, as I wasn't using a manuel (what's that?) and the little symbols on that thing mean nothing to me! I am working so hard on my first full-feature-length dio, so having the means and the know-how are really going to come in handy! Thanks a lot!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireflyed
I gotta say, for an ole lady, she's got it going on!

Old 01-18-2008, 08:37 PM #6
Hammerfel
Administrator

-->
Hammerfel will become famous soon enough -->

Send a message via ICQ to Hammerfel Send a message via AIM to Hammerfel Send a message via MSN to Hammerfel Send a message via Yahoo to Hammerfel
News

Great How-To! Thanks for posting this!

Old 01-19-2008, 07:25 AM #7
General Scarlett
Hell hath no fury....

-->
General Scarlett is on a distinguished road -->

Ahh Dave........I'm so glad I encouraged you to join from HISS.........

Coming soon: 'JoeSpecialOps'

Old 01-20-2008, 08:53 AM #8
DaveCW2
Happy Camera Fun Time!

-->
DaveCW2 is on a distinguished road -->

Thanks all. I'm glad to help. I'll be editing this as I think of more stuff as well, so check back every once in a while.

If anyone else thinks of anything else, please feel free to post it in the thread.

Have fun!!!

Holy crap! There were five troop builders in 1985 - what am I getting myself into!?!