User Name
Password

Old 05-13-2012, 04:17 PM #11
lehsreh
G.I. Smurf

-->
lehsreh is on a distinguished road -->

Send a message via MSN to lehsreh Send a message via Yahoo to lehsreh

What I look for most is a good storyline, and good characterization. I have saw dios that had GREAT pictures and GREAT sets, but I wouldn't give the time of day because the story was boring and/or the characters were bland. As for battles, I can handle any kind. But if there is a battle going on and It's a Michael Bayish thing, where it all focuses on things blowing up and good effects instead of characters; It's not for me. It's hard to relate to a story when the characters have no characteristics. I believe that is why I loved Tim Elf's stuff so much. You had so many characters and they all were different.

Old 05-13-2012, 09:05 PM #12
Renegade
Veteran

-->
Renegade is on a distinguished road -->

I always enjoy a greatly shot dio. I can stand a lack of story a lot of times because I don't always need to get into someone else's universe too much. If there are great pictures I can look at them and admire the photography.

Still, when there is a story which involves moving dialogue, realistic choices by believable personalities, and awe inspiring actions by larger than life characters in larger than life settings, they will always win out over a well shot series of pictures.

Regenesis: The Return to The Killing Fields
Born Again

"...and they formed a band the likes of which have never been seen! And they called themselves Renegade and LRRP"

Old 05-13-2012, 09:13 PM #13
zedhatch
Veteran

-->
zedhatch is on a distinguished road -->

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldbug
I like a combo of action & story.
Romance is a bit tricky to pull off.

Here is an idea I had but not sure how it can be pulled off...
A JoeDios site diostory where each participant creates a chapter.
I suppose the best option is for participants to choose characters from a roster. Each person only uses those characters in their chapter. However there should be some cooperation between authors if they will have communication between characters in their chapters. The story in the chapters should be linked somehow.

Tried something similar on Joecustoms years and years ago (I think around 2005, I know it was right before Valor vs. Venom). It was a disaster as half the guys never kept up with thier end. Hopefully if this idea is picked up that won't happen again.

Personally I can handle anything as long as it's someone's own thing and not trying to redo what has been done before. That is a hard order but is possible, I think that characters, ect, ect come through much clearer with a real story behind it.

http://www.zedsjoesite.com Home Scale Wars updated Mon-Fri Every Week

Old 05-13-2012, 11:54 PM #14
pbarny1701
Teaching The Next Gen

-->
pbarny1701 is on a distinguished road -->

Send a message via AIM to pbarny1701 Send a message via MSN to pbarny1701 Send a message via Yahoo to pbarny1701

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend Blood
Dirty Recondo self love

What do you think screaming face Duke is for if not that prematurely?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Friedman
In China, Bill Gates is Britney Spears. In America, Britney Spears is Britney Spears. That's our problem

My Blog, Pics and More
Customs Blog
Add Yoursel to MY MAP
Me on Facebook

Is for constructive criticism (will even settle for destructive) just anything but "Nice shot" or "Awesome".

Old 05-14-2012, 04:09 AM #15
lehsreh
G.I. Smurf

-->

Quote:
I suppose the best option is for participants to choose characters from a roster. Each person only uses those characters in their chapter. However there should be some cooperation between authors if they will have communication between characters in their chapters. The story in the chapters should be linked somehow.

We did something like that a few years back. People had their names down and on certain days of the week that person would have to post 3 panels continuing the dio story from where the other left it. It went on a bit, but with only 3 panels to do anything with it wasn't that good.

For me we don't all need to do a combined dio story, but it would be great if say people started joining Joervere's. My cousin and I have our Joeverse combined. we can't do anything drastic that would effect a character if we don't talk it out with the other so as to not distort their Joeverse. We also have to keep it accurate as to what happens in each others. It's hard, but the good thing is we can use each others custom characters.

It would be great to treat it like a comic book, where you had a crossover every so often. But to do that peoples Joeverse's would have to be in synch.

Old 05-14-2012, 04:53 AM #16
lehsreh
G.I. Smurf

-->

Quote:

A good idea that would be simple is to do one like Image comics did back in the day. Not a crossover, but rather everyone exchanges custom characters and do a on shot dio story. Let's say Larry, Curly and Moe have their own custom characters. Moe would do a one shot dio story about Larry's, Larry would do one about Curly's and Curly would do one about Moe's. you would have to keep it true to form, and not kill anyone off that would effect the others Joeverse. Nothing of impact that could change the character or his story in anyway. Just a great story.

Old 05-14-2012, 08:48 AM #17
Lt. Faceless

-->
Lt. Faceless is on a distinguished road -->

I'm a outdoors guy anyway,so for me,its all about location. I love looking at some pics and seeing nice backgrouns.Just look at Monte's pics,his backgrounds from when he was stateside were stunning.

I'm not a fan of photoshop.I think it takes away from the picture. Using fishingline to hang stuff,colored lights to add effects,fake blook,etc.....

Old 06-12-2012, 08:03 PM #18
mrcobra

-->
mrcobra is on a distinguished road -->

I like dio stories alot haven't read many in awhile due to time and not been able to find any new ones.
They need to have that great storytelling and character portrayal and development need some solid action fighting scenes as well on varied scales from small scuffles to shootouts to full scaled battles. Photography needs to be clear doesn't have to be spectacular just clear enough so we can see whats going on.
Its nice to see set ups and backdrops outdoor and built dioramas are great and alot of depth and realism to shots. They need to have correct grammar as well the occasional mistake is okay.I like seeing customs kit bashes of figures too.
Characters need to be posed in convincing ways.
Im not a fan of the o ring Joes but I enjoy dios with them in alot but I would like to seem more dios using the newer figures too but Im fine with either.
Like it when they focus on obscure characters and also mixes it up with more well known charters.

They need to be original as well with stories characters etc.

Old 06-19-2012, 08:51 AM #19
figureware
Veteran

-->
figureware is on a distinguished road -->

I am for any kind really. I enjoy alot of the straight up Joe V Cobra stuff on the site! I try to mix things up. I finished "Compound Z" a story based on the Zombie Vipers! I know there are a lot of them floating around and I really dont mind because I like them. I wouldn't mind seeing some off beat stuff like I do but then again I am all for everyone doing there own thing! Right now I am doing a series of one offs! first up Quick Kick which will feature the Dreadnoks and possibly Storm Shadow in supporting roles. I plan on doing one offs of Spirit, Storm Shadow, and Shipwreck.

I also use Joes for very offbeat dio comics but probably wont post them on Joe Dios. but I would like to see that as well! Stories using Joe figures as other characters.

Old 06-19-2012, 05:39 PM #20
lehsreh
G.I. Smurf

-->

Quote:
Originally Posted by figureware
I Right now I am doing a series of one offs! first up Quick Kick which will feature the Dreadnoks and possibly Storm Shadow in supporting roles.

OH! I cannot wait for that. my favorite character Qk, with some of my other favorite characters, the noks. HURRY UP!!!