The Comic Box #3!
Old 01-26-2007, 08:49 AM #1
Sonneilon
aka 'Paul WS Anderson' ;)

-->
Sonneilon is on a distinguished road -->

Send a message via MSN to Sonneilon
Exclamation The Comic Box #3!

Welcome to The Comic Box. This is a discussion thread for the GI Joe comics. We start at Marvel’s #1 and move thru the series every Wednesday. It’s a chance to give your thoughts, opinions and remarks about the comic in question.

GI Joe #3. The Trojan Gambit.

Cobra Commander sets the Joes up with a compound. The Joes take home the spoils of their mission and their spoils ends up becoming a giant robot! See the original team in action as they fight their way through PIT and see just how buff (and he’s the stuff!) Steeler really is.

Discuss awaaaaaaay!

-Image from yojoe.com-

Old 01-26-2007, 08:52 AM #2
Sonneilon
aka 'Paul WS Anderson' ;)

-->
Sonneilon is on a distinguished road -->

Send a message via MSN to Sonneilon

I didn't get to check this story out until the digests years after it was published. Back then, the robot didn't seem out of place or geeked or lame. BUT now, man... The robot is pretty lame. Or at least, the 80s rendition of a hi-tech, laser blasting, fire resistent robot is lame. But what this story really does is help show us the original Joes in action. Let's face, there's a huge nostaligia factor for the original 13 before it gets watered down. In a way, the 1st issues of GI Joe are all about the team and it was way exciting to read these over and over. I enjoyed the humor and for me, I saw a side of Steeler I didn't know about! The whole Chaplain's get together was in good fun.

Old 01-26-2007, 09:34 AM #3
LordRaven
Collaborate and Listen

-->
LordRaven is on a distinguished road -->

If it's made before the wall fell, big giant robots are euphemisms for Communism, and let's face it. you've got the Real American Heroes fighting a Giant Commie Robot (a giant commie robot that just won't die, mind you). I love the shots of the original pit, how detailed it's design was. I love Scarlett in her dress uniform (meeeeoow) These classic issues are great.

Old 01-26-2007, 10:37 AM #4
Lava Boss
Veteran

-->
Lava Boss is on a distinguished road -->

First issue I ever read, so it holds nostalgia for me.

"PEACE THROUGH WAR" banners...some of cobra's ideology that was never entirely fleshed out.

Yeah, they act like there's nothing odd about Cobra having a big robot. Seems very cartoonish. Yet, Hama wrote this, didn't he?

Old 01-26-2007, 11:15 AM #5
Self-Modifier
Crossover King Emeritus

-->
Self-Modifier is on a distinguished road -->

I don't remember a lot about this issue offhand, so I'll give it a once-over later. But from what I do recall, I liked Hawk and Scarlett in dress uniforms, mingling with the brass. I also liked Steeler lifting that huge metal door open. That scene made him one of my favorite Joes.

I'll post further thoughts once I've actually looked at the issue.

is on indefinite hiatus...

Old 01-26-2007, 11:52 AM #6
Outrider
It's been a great ride!

-->
Outrider is on a distinguished road -->

Send a message via MSN to Outrider Send a message via Yahoo to Outrider

Gotta agree with the prevailing sentiment here, the giant robot did sort of ruin the whole thing!

Old 01-26-2007, 02:08 PM #7
General Scarlett
Hell hath no fury....

-->
General Scarlett is on a distinguished road -->

The 'Big, Giant Robot' was to this comic-and our imaginations-what Spock saying, "In the year 2006..." was to 'Trekkies' in the '60's, '70's & even '80's; basic 'can you EVEN imagine THAT date??' So the robot makes perfect sense in the plotline.
This comic was a great way to show that while the Joes operated 'outside' what conventional military parameters might have been, when they 'dressed up' they were still soldiers. That went a long way to 'humanizing' them in the public's eyes. How many of us really sat up & took notice of the National Guard in the parades after getting hooked on G.I. Joe?? I mean think about it-maybe some of these soldiers could be Joes in disguse........
And the fact that this team was shaping up to be tight & cool & real all at the same time......man these comics can still retain cool factor 25 years later-AWESOME!!!!!!!

Coming soon: 'JoeSpecialOps'

Old 01-27-2007, 05:49 AM #8
Gatilho
Obsessive Collector

-->
Gatilho is on a distinguished road -->

Send a message via ICQ to Gatilho Send a message via MSN to Gatilho

I agree, this comic brought another way to see the joes and was very special because of the detailed journey through G.I. Joe HQ.
About the giant robot, it's hard to believe in something like that even today but the lack of realism gave space to a creative and funny adventure very different from all others.

Gatilho