Password

Old 07-11-2017, 03:33 AM #11
gijoeiwasthere
Comment To Participate

-->
gijoeiwasthere is on a distinguished road -->

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Phibes
NJ pretty much got it right. And arah repaints got mixed in with jvc wave 1.5. Mirage, big Ben, grey/blue alley viper, red/gray alley viper, etc. Some said they were like the red-headed Bastard child of gi Joe. But by valore vs venom and dtc, one could see hints of later standard construction. Major barrage, for example.

Wow! I've only seen Major Barrage a couple times...looks like they took his aesthetic mixed it with Toybiz's SuperHero Showdown and Bam! Modern Era!

Old 07-11-2017, 09:28 AM #12
Dr. Phibes
Veteran

-->
Dr. Phibes is on a distinguished road -->

Hasbro tried a few other articulation during jvc that brought strange resentment. Firefly had swivel thighs and joined ankles (better than what modern era has imo). I want to say Scarlett got the treatment too but I could be wrong.

But the weirdest thing jvc did was the t-crotch for that 1st wave. And you had some very non - traditional Joe's to the point that they didn't look like the characters in any form. But it did give us the very cool looking neovipers. And the whole Joe vs cobra had some neat vs stories behind it.

Old 07-11-2017, 11:10 AM #13
Lava Boss
Veteran

-->
Lava Boss is on a distinguished road -->

2002 Scarlett had mid-thigh joints, but not the ankles. Wrists should've become standard, but wrists can break off easily sometimes as a new sculpt Night Creeper I have shows. (In addition, the kid rule that any body part they can pull off, they will, I've come across many used star wars figures missing hands.)

T-crotch was Hasbro trying to either reduce costs and go with a new aesthetic. Most fans reacted with disgust when they were unveiled...and they were right...probably the last time the majority of 3 3/4" fans agreed on anything.

The second wave was retooled, the delay led to waves 1.25 and 1.5 using vintage molds and wave 1 repaints. It also meant Hasbro farmed out the sculpting/design on wave 3 to Takara, resulting in quirky looking Flint, Snow Serpent, Baroness, Mindbender Beach-Head, Snake-Eyes and Blowtorch figures.

Old 07-11-2017, 12:44 PM #14
Dr. Phibes
Veteran

-->

That is true, Lava. The proportions of the body were just weird at times. With Wave 1, I liked that they tried to bulk the Joes up to be more, I suppose, fantasy. But when it came to someone like Flint and Widescope, long legs and short torsos just made things weird. And in some ways, the arah-like comic packs (like Tunnel Rat, Flint (again), and others actually looked better!

I think DTC Barrel Roll had more modern articulation.

Now that we dredge up the past, the gorilla arms were horrible. I don't know what they were thinking. Mindbender comes to mind. And then some figures would have 1 gorilla and 1 regular! And then there were the 'skirts' where figures couldn't sit down (looking at you, Cobra Commander). Probably looked good on paper, but the end design execution just didn't work. Unless, as I always joked, 'they never sit down'.

Old 07-11-2017, 12:49 PM #15
Dr. Phibes
Veteran

-->

geez, i'm rusty here. used to just dropping pics. how do we do this again? lol

JvC Scarlett. Built like a linebacker?

Scarlet

Shoot, check out the entire 2002 releases!

GI Joe vs Cobra 2002 via yojoe.com

Old 07-11-2017, 01:57 PM #16
Hammerfel
Administrator

-->
Hammerfel will become famous soon enough -->

Send a message via ICQ to Hammerfel Send a message via AIM to Hammerfel Send a message via MSN to Hammerfel Send a message via Yahoo to Hammerfel

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoOneEight

To me, it is not disrespectful for O-ring Medi-Vipers to work on my wounded ME Combat Ninjas.

That made me smile.

Quote:
There is room for everyone.

Amen Brother!

Old 07-11-2017, 02:05 PM #17
Meddatron
Veteran

-->
Meddatron is on a distinguished road -->

My Zombie horde doesn't care what type of Joe they eat from either. They don't even need their food to be Hasbro made.

Old 07-11-2017, 02:09 PM #18
TwoOneEight
US Navy Veteran

-->
TwoOneEight will become famous soon enough -->

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meddatron
My Zombie horde doesn't care what type of Joe they eat from either. They don't even need their food to be Hasbro made.

Hahahahahahaha!!
"They're not dolls, they're Action Figures! I do not play with toys, I take diorama photographs!"