Mortal Kombat
Old 05-15-2014, 06:23 PM #1
dinoviper
Veteran

-->
dinoviper is on a distinguished road -->
Default Mortal Kombat

Johnny Cage

Released in 1994 to fill in the niche of the A Real American Hero line and giving Street Fighter II a run for their money was Mortal Kombat. Retooled G.I. Joe figures of mostly of Ninja Force and various Joe and Cobra parts from the late 1980s and 90s. Mortal Kombat uses the same basic concept as Street Fighter II give have the figures Ninja Force type action attack and the other half spring loaded rocket launchers. I was a bitter fan of Mortal Kombat then of Street Fighter. They had way more interesting characters and backstories, more violence and the figures intermingled with G.I. Joe some what better as you will soon find out. Based on the video game by Midway in 1995 a series of Mortal Kombat Movie figures were released in more intricate detail and some using remolds of the defunct Ninja Commandos line.

Johnny Cage was by far the most obnoxicious character of the Mortal Kombat line. Don't get me wrong I loved Linden Ashby's character in the 1995 movie but all the video games make him out to be well a douch. In fact if Hasbro gave Cage the Head man business suit that would have made this figure a hundred times better. The character to me, is about the worthless character to take in battle against Shao Kahn, Cobra or any other foe. About the only use I have for him is in a cage match. Johnny Cage uses the Street Fighter II Sagat waist and legs, Road Pigs torso and has a new sculpt head. Jonny also includes a spring action launcher, missile, sword and knife.

Last edited by dinoviper : 05-15-2014 at 06:48 PM.

Old 05-15-2014, 06:46 PM #2
dinoviper
Veteran

-->

Rayden

I was always perplexed by Rayden's character in the game. Why have a immortal god a playable character in a game called "Mortal" Kombat. Anyway I liked Rayden in the video game, the movie who he was played by the talented Christopher Lambert and in the cartoon Mortal Kombat: Defenders of the Realm who he was voiced by Clancy Brown. Talk about irony! Rayden was played by both sides Victor Kurgan and Conner MacLeod from the movie Highlander. Oh and lets not forget actor Jeffery Meek who played the outstanding role of both Rayden and Shao Kahn in Mortal Kombat Konquest. Moving on the figure is rather boring and useless as a character in G.I. Joe. I know some folks like a little mysticism in there universe, me I like to keep it down to Earth. The only use I can see Rayden as is a blind ninja master or something along those line. Rayden is a repainted sculpt of 1992 Nunchuk with action attack included and a newly sculpted head. He also includes the same two weapons that Nunchuk came with. A sword and nunchuks.

Last edited by dinoviper : 05-16-2014 at 04:34 PM.

Old 05-16-2014, 05:09 PM #3
dinoviper
Veteran

-->

Liu Kang

Liu is the hero/protagonist in Mortal Kombat he defeated Shang Tsung and went on to become Champion. Liu appeared in both movies played by Robin Shou and the cartoon series Mortal Kombat: Defenders of the Realm and a prequel to the movie Mortal Kombat on VHS. Liu's figure uses the Road Pig torso and 1992 Ninja Force Slice legs. Liu's head sculpt was later retooled and used as Dr. Venom as a Club exclusive. While a fairly boring sculpt I use him as Storm Shadow without the mask. Liu includes a spring action rocket launcher, missile, sword and bladed weapon.

Last edited by dinoviper : 05-16-2014 at 05:35 PM.

Old 05-16-2014, 05:34 PM #4
dinoviper
Veteran

-->

Shang Tsung

The demon sorcerer Shang Tsung is the monster behind Mortal Kombat, he commands his forces on a mysterious island where kombatants fight to the death. Those he defeats he consumes there souls thus possessing the fallen warrior life essence. Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa played an outstanding role of Shang in the Mortal Kombat movie. Shang is resurrected in Mortal Kombat: Defenders of the Realm by Shao Kahn's Shadow Priests. Shang is also one of the main antagonist in Mortal Kombat Konquest. Shang Tsung's figure is a 1992 Ninja Force Dojo from the neck down and features Dojo's same action attack feature. Shang includes a short sword, and Dojo's chain weapon missing the string. Shang Tsung also includes a black cloth robe which was rare among action figures of that time but would also be included with the Scorpion, Sub Zero movie action figures. In my Joe-verse Shang is head of the Black Dragon crime syndicate and operates out of Japan. Guile and Sonya Blade are partnered up and sent to Japan by Gen. Hawk to track down the Black Dragon. While Shang has no supernatural powers he commands a powerful organization and has years of martial arts experience that would make Genghis Khan appear like a Boy Scout.

Old 05-16-2014, 07:32 PM #5
Marty
Veteran

-->
Marty is on a distinguished road -->

Send a message via MSN to Marty

Nice to get a closer look at these. I have that Liu Kang figure from an ebay lot, but he is sun damaged. I don't have much use for him. Looking forward to seeing Goro up close!

Old 05-18-2014, 10:16 AM #6
dinoviper
Veteran

-->

Sonya Blade

The only female in the Mortal Kombat line Sonya is a member of the Special Forces who has grudge out for Kano who killed her partner many years ago. Being both Tournament fighters I like to pair Sonya up with Guile as they work with G.I. Joe in trying to hunt down the Black Dragon. Sonya uses the 1987 Jinx sculpt from the neck down and her head sculpt is entirely new. Sonya includes a spring action launcher, missile and submachine gun. There was a Movie Edition Sonya that was repainted in all black much like what her actress counterpart Bridgette Wilson wore in the movie. Another variation is in the lower legs. Her feet now have boots instead of slippers which was a good move. I have searched high and low about whos lower legs they belong too. It appears to be the boots of a Ninja Commandos Jinx that was cancelled in 1995. The movie version includes the same weapons but has an additional knife. Sonya also appeared in Mortal Kombat: Defenders of the Realm which also explained her past in further detail.

Old 05-18-2014, 10:32 AM #7
dinoviper
Veteran

-->

Scorpion

I figured pairing the three together would be best since they share the same mold and weapons. Borrowing the arms from 1992 Ninja Force Dice, the torso and legs from 1992 Slice. With a newly sculpted head the three make the deadliest warriors in all the realms. Scorpion is an undead warrior from Neatherealm betrayed by Sub Zero. Scorpion is known from his harpoon attack and his flaming skull of death finishing move. Scorpion had an interesting take in the movie and went on to appear in Mortal Kombat: Defenders of the Realm and Mortal Kombat Konquest. The actor who played Scorpion in the movie went on to play him in Konquest with his human face revealed before turning. Personally I think the best Scorpion/Sub Zero back story was in the recent short film Mortal Kombat Legacy. Scorpion includes the same action attack feature as Slice and includes the same weapons as Smoke. I got my figure online and he did not include any weapons so I paired him with one of Shang Tsungs and tied a string to it as his harpoon.

Old 05-18-2014, 10:52 AM #8
dinoviper
Veteran

-->

Smoke

Smoke is one of the hidden characters in Mortal Kombat II like Reptile in the first game. His ability is to manipulate smoke to confuse his opponent. Smoke never appeared in the movie but made his appearance in Mortal Kombat: Defenders of the Realm which explains why he is a cyborg in the movie Mortal Kombat Annihilation. He then appears briefly at the end of an episode of Mortal Kombat Konquest as a wisp of smoke with red eyes. While Scorpion and Sub Zero have not appeared in my Joe-verse yet Smoke has. While Smoke can't physically transform he is very well versed in the art of deception making almost appear supernatural. Hired by the Black Dragons Smoke's mission is to track down and eliminate Snake Eyes who is on a mission in Japan. Smoke is about to kill Snake Eyes but then is saved at the last second by an enraged Storm Shadow. Smoke includes both a sword and double bladed weapon.

Old 05-18-2014, 11:03 AM #9
dinoviper
Veteran

-->

Sub Zero

Sub Zero is a member of the Lin Kui a clan of ninja who practice supernatural and elemental mystical arts. Sub Zero has the ability to freeze objects instantly and shoot ice from his hands. Sub Zero is also the mortal enemy to Scorpion. While the original Sub Zero dies in the movie he is replaced by his younger brother in Mortal Kombat: Defenders of the Realm and Mortal Kombat Annihilation. Sub Zero includes a sword and knife that were included with the 1992 Slice figure. Sub Zero's head sculpt will be repainted and used on the Black Dragon leader in the 2003 Operation Anaconda convention set.

Old 05-18-2014, 11:22 AM #10
dinoviper
Veteran

-->

Goro

Goro the massive four armed Kuatuan from the realm of Shokan is Shang Tsung secret weapon in winning Mortal Kombat and enslaving the Earth realm to Shao Kahn. Goro is a very unique figure as he was only made for the Mortal Kombat line. He stands several inches taller then a regular 3 3/4" action figure and has four swivel arms instead of two. Another feature is Goro does not include a o ring. Goro was package with Johnny Cage that was a different figure from the carded one. The Johnny packaged with Goro featured action attack Goro thankfully did not. Instead Goro came with a variety of weapons plus a spring action launcher with missile. Their are two variations of the set one released in 1994 with just a plain light tan Goro and the movie version which I have. I only have the movie edition so I can't compare the two. I also bought Goro loose Johnny Cage was not included but I got most of the weapons and stage which was included with Goro. The stage was a repaint of the Street Fighter movie Shadowloo play set.