Old 03-11-2014, 03:30 PM #1
dinoviper
Veteran

-->
dinoviper is on a distinguished road -->
Default Star Brigade

Effects
Explosives Expert

During the 90s G.I. Joe took a turn for the worse according to many fans. Not only did the figures become more neon and gimmicky they also split into factions like the Ninja Force and Mega Marines, even the regular Joe team changed its name to Battle Corps in 1993. At that time G.I. Joe and Cobra began reaching for the stars. Set in space and perhaps sometime in the near future these soldiers battled among the cosmos either protecting or controlling the galaxy. While the first series of Star Brigade action figures were mostly repaints the 1994 year had some interesting characters with new molds it was too bad there fate was sealed when the line ended during that same year.

To be honest I was never a fan of Star Brigade. While I could take my Joe's out in the backyard and pretend it was a jungle or arctic during winter it was never fun to play with my Joe's in pitch black pretending it was the cold vacuum of space. However several of the Star Brigade and Armor Tech figures had some redeeming qualties. The BAAT was simply a heavy armored robot, Robo-Joe was a Earth based cyborg and several of the 1994 characters could be pilots or soldiers with experimental combat suits. Effects was one of those characters with an interesting back story. Effects was a fresh face on the Joe roster as well as Star Brigade. His sculpt was entirely new. Effects was experienced in explosives and demolitions it is also hinted that he may have done special effects work in movies but this never really specified. What I can't really figure out is why anyone working with high explosives would do it bare handed. Even more strange how do you even survive in space with hands exposed to vacuum and gamma radiation. His guy has got to be totally nuts I'm talking Gary Busy nuts. I personally think Effects would be better off on Earth in the present day blowing up HISS tanks and Terrordromes then in deep space. Effects weapons include a neon green pulse type rifle and a catapult with two orange bombs.

Last edited by dinoviper : 03-11-2014 at 03:44 PM.

Old 03-11-2014, 05:49 PM #2
battlewagon
Banned

-->
battlewagon is on a distinguished road -->

i actually welcomed the neon colors cause it made the figures appealing and it was like eye candy. on his cover art, effects has blue gloves but i guess the designers either forgot or decided not to paint his hands blue. still it looks okay either way. the helmet visor is cool and the catapult is also nice. the name sounds interesting but more like a cobra name in my opinion. really love his grin. more accessories would have been nice.

Old 03-11-2014, 06:31 PM #3
Renegade
Veteran

-->
Renegade is on a distinguished road -->

For some reason I'm more open to a Star Brigade set than I was in the 90s. So long as we stay away from aliens, I like the idea. Call of Duty had a level where you shoot things in space, I see no reason why GI Joe wouldn't do it on occasion

Regenesis: The Return to The Killing Fields
Born Again

"...and they formed a band the likes of which have never been seen! And they called themselves Renegade and LRRP"

Old 03-11-2014, 07:41 PM #4
Lava Boss
Veteran

-->
Lava Boss is on a distinguished road -->

It was odd that at the time, where they doing minimal paint operations, they painted his hand flesh colored.

I never disliked Star Brigade, but I wish that the effort put into the figures hadn't declined. That applied to all the GI JOE figures at the time, the recycled accessories, minimal paint ops, bright colors.

I love Effects!
Old 03-12-2014, 04:37 PM #5
neapolitan joe
G.I.JOE ITALIAN COLLECTOR

-->
neapolitan joe will become famous soon enough -->
Thumbs up I love Effects!

I really like this character, one of the last A.R.A.H. Joes along with Space Shot: http://www.joedios.com/dioramas/sho...r&imageuser=444

http://www.joedios.com/dioramas/sho...r&imageuser=444

http://www.joedios.com/dioramas/bro...r&imageuser=444

Old 03-12-2014, 04:40 PM #6
dinoviper
Veteran

-->

Space Shot
Combat Fighter Pilot

Space Shot was the only other new Star Brigade Joe figure to be released in 1994. Space Shot traveled the galaxy as a freighter pilot and had a brash thingyy persona as a rebellious star pilot. Much like another certain someone in one of those big budget sci fi movies we are all aware of. Space Shot wears a pretty bland white space suit with exposed open helmet, again we have yet another member of G.I. Joe who is not afraid to travel the cold vacuum of space with protection. Since Space Shot appeared at the end of the ARAH run Hasbro did not make a space freighter for him to cruise around in. I ending up using Space Shot to pilot the G.I. Joe Storm Eagle as the vehicle did not include a pilot. His space gear includes a cosmic climbing backpack with working zip line and a LX-1 laser pistol.

Old 03-12-2014, 04:41 PM #7
dinoviper
Veteran

-->

Cobra Commander
Cobra Supreme Leader

The was a very unique version of Cobra Commander his uniform really suits him. His space helmet has kinda this xenomorph Alien look going on. His regular sculpted head resembles the Hall of Fame Cobra Commanders head once you remove his cowl. Cobra Commander includes this Climbing Assault Harness that fits around the figure and you roll the suction cup wheel on a flat surface its a bit gimmicky but what else is new during the 90s. Cobra Commander also comes with a sweet neon green laser pistol.

Space Shot...
Old 03-12-2014, 04:42 PM #8
neapolitan joe
G.I.JOE ITALIAN COLLECTOR

-->
neapolitan joe will become famous soon enough -->
Smile Space Shot...

Space Shot IS Freddie Mercury...AhAhAhAhAh!

http://www.joedios.com/dioramas/bro...r&imageuser=444

Old 03-14-2014, 05:38 AM #9
dinoviper
Veteran

-->

Quote:
Originally Posted by neapolitan joe
Space Shot IS Freddie Mercury...AhAhAhAhAh!

He does look like Freddie Mercury

Old 03-14-2014, 07:55 PM #10
battlewagon
Banned

-->
battlewagon is on a distinguished road -->

the artwork for Space Shot looks dynamic and exciting. too bad the figure is bland. shame they didn't paint those grenades on his chest and they didn't add red to his gauntlets. as for Cobra Commander, it's cool that you can see his face somewhat. i can't stand that yellow dot on his chest. it just doesn't make any sense at all. it sticks out and looks really bad almost like a paint error. too bad the gun isn't red like in the artwork. the helmet looks cool and does remind me of alien but i can't also help thinking of DARTH HELMET! LOL! that suction cup harness looks curious. sure would like to see it in action.