How to paint StyroFOam...
Old 03-22-2007, 12:35 AM #11
Sgt_DP
The Man Behind the Camera

-->
Sgt_DP is on a distinguished road -->
Thumbs up How to paint StyroFOam...

Very cool.

Just a note, to paint styro foam... Use a latex paint first. That seals it up so the spray paint won't melt it...

I made my Dr Mindbender Lab that way... So I could paint it with rock textured spray paint to give it an underground cave look..

Atleast this way you can make a correctly Sized "Stargate" for your world... The one I chased down on ebay cost over a $100 bucks... and I am stuck with a whole bunch of 7 inch tall figures... Too big for 3.75 and too short for Sigma 6's 8 inch size...

Old 04-14-2007, 12:05 AM #12
Cap

-->
Cap is on a distinguished road -->

Very nicely done Frank. I am always impressed with those that prefer to sculpt a Stargate from scratch, than to utilize the models, or the newer quarters from the action figure line.

I wish I had seen this earlier, I could have given you a heads up for a product that I use, which is called Creative Paperclay. This is a natural clay product made from volcanic ash, wood pulp, and other natural fillers that applies like clay, dries white and feather weight like paper, but has the strength of wood. It takes to paint excellently, and once sealed with a sealer, is as hard as soapstone, without being brittle.

It comes in fairly decent sized bricks and can be found at most art chains, and online. It is extremely versatile. I have used it to do everything from bricks. stone, fixtures, even Joe sized keyboards for computer consoles.

It can be carved, sanded, and even woodburned for any details you'd like, such as the gate glyphs.

When I did my Stargate dios and facilities, I used my preference, the 1/2" and 3/16" foamboard.

[
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DCP_1465.JPG (21.8 KB, 86 views)

Diorama Rabbit

Also, some Elder Scrolls based dioramas and customs in two scales:

Morrowind Dioramas and Custom Action Figures

Old 04-14-2007, 07:42 AM #13
General Scarlett
Hell hath no fury....

-->
General Scarlett is on a distinguished road -->

HOLY CRAP 'CAP'!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What a FANTASTIC dio setup!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Coming soon: 'JoeSpecialOps'

Old 04-25-2007, 08:57 AM #14
ender098
Veteran

-->
ender098 will become famous soon enough -->

Send a message via MSN to ender098 Send a message via Yahoo to ender098

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Scarlett
HOLY CRAP 'CAP'!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What a FANTASTIC dio setup!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Uh, yeah! Ditto! Damn, now I'm embarrassed to show my piddley little stargate! LOL!

I'm not Worthy!!!!!

I'm not Worthy!!!!!

I'm not Worthy!!!!!

Last edited by ender098 : 04-26-2007 at 09:33 PM.

Old 04-28-2007, 09:12 AM #15
Sgt_DP
The Man Behind the Camera

-->
Sgt_DP is on a distinguished road -->
Thumbs up

That is so cool... I really like the attention to the details... I always enjoy following the story to look at the details of the stargate rooms. You have captured them here in an awesome format. I am going to go work on my Stargate room now...

Truely AWESOME!!!!!!

Old 05-06-2007, 02:44 PM #16
Dersham
Veteran

-->
Dersham is on a distinguished road -->

Send a message via MSN to Dersham

Yes, holy shitaki mushrooms indeed, that is one mind blowing stargate. Well no worries Frank I think mine's still at the bottom quality wise.

Last edited by Dersham : 05-06-2007 at 02:45 PM. Reason: Couldn't spell well.

Old 05-06-2007, 07:16 PM #17
Bayer
Self-Important

-->
Bayer is on a distinguished road -->

Yowwww! Very nice. I really like the way the colors leap out and the worm hole water effect. The overall structure is great. Are you planning to do more SGC/SG1 dios?

Old 05-18-2007, 04:16 PM #18
Cap

-->
Cap is on a distinguished road -->

Thanks, it was originally my intent two years ago to do a long running Stargate:GIJOE Armageddon, and set to work not only creating the gates and SGC, but the Pegasus site and puddle jumpers as well. But then commissions came and I had to push it on the back burner. Then health issues, and well, you know. Also, I was a little hesitant because there were so many others now focusing on the Stargate universe, I felt it would have gotten lost in the shuffle.

I was thankful to have used it in this years JCA(JoeCustomsAwards) dio awards ceremony, because I heard one of the other builders was being honored, and I wanted personally to do the show areas for dioramas, to show my appreciation for another fellow builder, ViolentFix. So, many details of the SGC can be seen there in the award show dio.

I'd love to see Frank's take on an interplanetary gate, since I really love seeing those who approach it from an incredibly creative style. From what I have seen here, I am sure the finished product is going to be awesome.

Diorama Rabbit

Also, some Elder Scrolls based dioramas and customs in two scales:

Morrowind Dioramas and Custom Action Figures