Something Old Something New
Old 01-20-2006, 10:35 PM #1
BRASS KNUCKLE CHUCKLES
Veteran

-->
BRASS KNUCKLE CHUCKLES is on a distinguished road -->
Question Something Old Something New

Hey everyone,

I was just wondering and perhaps this has been discussed before but what is everyones take on using old and new sculpt figures and vehicles in pics together? Does anyone refuse to mix and match or do some people don't care. Personally some old figs might look out of place with the new ones with size and proportions but I love to mix and match. The combonations are endless with all the figs and vehicles so why not put them all together???

Old 01-21-2006, 10:19 AM #2
Raven
Veteran

-->
Raven is on a distinguished road -->

Send a message via MSN to Raven

Mix and match. It doesn't really look that out of place too me, because everybody in the "real world" has completely different proportions anyways. It makes it more realistic. Though I do think that some old sculpt heads are far too big, I'm not going to spend £10 importing a modern update of a figure I already have unless it's a decent update like VvV Stormshadow or Cobra Commander.

Old 01-21-2006, 03:01 PM #3
Outrider
It's been a great ride!

-->
Outrider is on a distinguished road -->

Send a message via MSN to Outrider Send a message via Yahoo to Outrider

Have to agree. Whether the figures and vehicles are old or new sculpt is irrelevant to me. Whether or not they are good figures and vehicles is what matters. If you only use old or new sculpt, you limit your possibilities.

Old 01-22-2006, 08:53 PM #4
BRASS KNUCKLE CHUCKLES
Veteran

-->
Smile

Both of you make some really great points. Raven you are right with people having different sizes in real life and even though the Joes are just figures I know many of the people if not all of them here try to put them in realistic poses for pics.
Outrider you make a strong case about the quality of the figures and vehicles are an important factor in many pictures. I guess what it boils down to is this: Make the best at what you have when it comes to figs, vehicles and whatever else you have at your disposal when it comes to taking pics and most importantly HAVE FUN!!! Now you know...

Old 01-23-2006, 08:37 AM #5
Violentfix
Veteran

-->
Violentfix is on a distinguished road -->

Maybe it's because I grew up playing with them, but I seem to have the majic touch with classic sculpts. I can balence them and achieve very realistic poses in a matter of seconds. While, with new sculpts, I can never seem to get them looking real enough. They just don't move the way I need them to and taking that extra time to set them up really breaks the flow of making a dio for me.

Mix and Match
Old 01-23-2006, 09:45 AM #6
Bayer
Self-Important

-->
Bayer is on a distinguished road -->
Default Mix and Match

While I agree that there are some nostalgic aspects with the classic sculpts, and arguably I agree that posing the new sculpts can be difficult, I personally like to mix things together. Details on the new sculpts are very photogenic and there seems to be a "spark" in the features that some (only some) of the classic figures lack. I have, from a casting perspective, use of all of the figures, whether new or old, and can't find myself omitting either for a "purity" concern. Besides, look to the BATs. While the newer ones are interestingly sleek and trim, the older ones provide the multi-functionality (by way of their multiple hands) that some stories may require. There are other examples I'm sure, but that one comes to mind fastest.

Bayer

Old 01-23-2006, 08:34 PM #7
BRASS KNUCKLE CHUCKLES
Veteran

-->
Smile

It does appear that some of the newer sculpts can be dificult to pose. Some of them seem real loose and it could get real frustrating trying to pose them. Sometimes when you get the exact pose that you want it flippin rocks!!! Like Bayer mentioned with the BAT's, the new ones look like robots while the old ones could pass for humans so I guess its all in what you are trying to capture in the pic. Oh and by the way welcome aboard Bayer!!!

Old 01-24-2006, 10:26 AM #8
Bayer
Self-Important

-->
Bayer is on a distinguished road -->

Thank you. I've been very impressed with everything I've seen here so far. I'm also having to rethink my story lines after looking at the wonderful dios posted here.

Bayer

Old 01-25-2006, 07:46 PM #9
BRASS KNUCKLE CHUCKLES
Veteran

-->

Bayer if you are looking for some creative ideas for really cool G.I. Joe Stuff this is the place.

Old 01-26-2006, 01:20 PM #10
Sonneilon
aka 'Paul WS Anderson' ;)

-->
Sonneilon is on a distinguished road -->

Send a message via MSN to Sonneilon

I'm like Luke. I prefer the new stuff and don't mix the two UNLESS it was already mixed into the 2002+ main line. Alley Vipers, for example.