Password

Joe Hama comic #161
Old 12-18-2010, 05:23 PM #1
turner
Veteran

-->
turner is on a distinguished road -->
Default Joe Hama comic #161

Anybody reading the Hama continuation of the Marvel run? I just read number 161 today and there were a number of interesting things in this one.

*SPOILER ALERT*

For one, this issue is jam packed with characters and vehicles from the 80's in their classic looks. With some notable and interesting exceptions, one of which was the new POC hisstank! It wasn't just drawn in, it was mentioned in the dialogue as the "new hisstank." Also, the careful look can spot the ROC Rhino (beside what I think is ironically the Mauler). The 25th got some nods as well, the classic vamp is shown with the cables on the gun that were added for the 25th version, and Mainframe has the 25th style upper thigh with the knife sheath. The cartoon got some play time also, which really surprised me. Doc's reflective mirrors are shown in the pitt and Lady Jaye has the cartoon style (and 25th style) javelin backpack. In a departure from all things previous, she fires the javelin like a missile launcher. You can surely tell the artist knows joe, from POC to 25th and classic looks to the cartoon. Toxo viper version 1 even makes and appearance!

Old 12-18-2010, 06:11 PM #2
Otto the Otter
"Toot" Spelled inside out

-->
Otto the Otter will become famous soon enough -->

Glad to hear it. I started it but missed the last couple of issues. I like that the classic look to the vehicles are featured. I was a bit put off a few issues back when the "Rage" was featured and it looked to be a cross between the A-Team van and the Steel Crusher.

RogueTiger was kind enough to give me a zip drive with all the original 155 Marvel issues so I could get to know the subjects better and so far I feel the story line doesn't seem out of place with a continuation.

Some people, when trying to avoid thinking about those things that cause them pain, turn to drink, or perhaps food, or drugs... I turn not to any of those... I collect action figures, turning my mind to the hunt, so that I might find a mote of peace... Over the years, I've found that alcoholism is much more socially acceptable by far.

Last edited by Otto the Otter : 12-18-2010 at 07:10 PM.

Old 12-18-2010, 07:09 PM #3
roguetiger
Veteran

-->
roguetiger is on a distinguished road -->

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto the Otter
Glad to hear it. I started it but missed the last couple of issues. I like that the classic look to the vehicles are featured. I was a bit put off a few issues back when the "Rage" was featured and it looked to be a cross between the A-Team van and the Steel Crusher.

RogueTiger was kind enough to give me a hard drive with all the original 155 Marvel issues so I could get to know the subjects better and so far I feel the story line doesn't seem out of place with a continuation.

Probably why the new Rage is named Fury so they can get away with calling it that.

Yep that zip drive has been to Afganastan, Finland, Ariz, NJ, and a few other places. lol

Old 12-18-2010, 07:23 PM #4
turner
Veteran

-->

I know the brainwave scanner and all that got a little overused in the old days, but I was glad to see it in the continuing series, I mean, it had to be to resolve those plot lines with storm shadow and the others brainwashed. I like the Dr. Venom thing too.

In this issue there was also what looked like a motocycle with a side car, maybe the "snarler cycle"?

The Baroness had a more classic look in this one too. Without digging my others out, anybody know if the artist changed for this one?

Old 12-18-2010, 08:34 PM #5
cyko
Plastic Sciences, Ph.D

-->
cyko is on a distinguished road -->

Yeah, the artist changed, but the PR statement looks like Padilla is coming back on the next one. I'm really not sure if the Brainwave Scanner is a sustainable plot device. The story is sounding very familiar ('90s revisited). Just like Jolt cola, it's bad for me, but I'll keep going back for more.

Old 12-18-2010, 08:38 PM #6
turner
Veteran

-->

Yeah, I'm not saying I want to see more and more brainwave scanner, but I definatley wanted to see the brainwashing plot lines resolved. Wanted to see storm shadow and billy back to good guys. Wouldn't mind seeing the baroness and zartan and the others get back to quasi good. I could see the need to maintain them as bad guys though.

Old 12-18-2010, 09:34 PM #7
roguetiger
Veteran

-->
roguetiger is on a distinguished road -->

Quote:
Originally Posted by turner
Wouldn't mind seeing the baroness and zartan and the others get back to quasi good. I could see the need to maintain them as bad guys though.

Baroness and Zartan was quasi good??? Don't remember where they were GOOD at all. They've always been bad. Though I could see Dr. Mindbender somehow making a clone body for Dr. Venom's mind of some sorts being put back from the computer into a body.

Old 12-18-2010, 10:48 PM #8
Otto the Otter
"Toot" Spelled inside out

-->
Otto the Otter will become famous soon enough -->

Quote:
Originally Posted by roguetiger
Baroness and Zartan was quasi good??? Don't remember where they were GOOD at all. They've always been bad. Though I could see Dr. Mindbender somehow making a clone body for Dr. Venom's mind of some sorts being put back from the computer into a body.

Not so much good as in on the side of the Joes, but good as in Destro sorta decided to retire and not be a ny part of Cobra anymore and teh Baroness tagged along with that. Zartan seemed to find ieer peace and decided no let Zarana more or less have the Noks while he went on his path. After Cobra Commander fully came back to power after the civil war and Serpentor and all that, he wanted to build Cobra back up to the power they were and knoew he couldn't do without Destro and Baroness and everyone else. It seemed like right there at the end of the original run that all the Cobra biggies were sorta set in their way, ready to let the world go on and Cobra Commander tricked them all and mass brainwashed them.

I could be wrong. When you get to be my age, the first thing to go is the memory...

Some people, when trying to avoid thinking about those things that cause them pain, turn to drink, or perhaps food, or drugs... I turn not to any of those... I collect action figures, turning my mind to the hunt, so that I might find a mote of peace... Over the years, I've found that alcoholism is much more socially acceptable by far.

Old 12-19-2010, 07:11 AM #9
turner
Veteran

-->

Yeah that was pretty much it. The turning point for the Baroness was when she realized snake eyes didn't kill her brother, she was shocked and said something like "but my whole career as an international terrorist was based on..." And Zartan's big change came when after he fought and killed the blind master. Then he took his place to continue to mentor that teenager. He later helped billy and the others infiltrate cobra island.