G.I. Joe/Transformers Cast List
Old 06-28-2006, 08:58 PM #1
Self-Modifier
Crossover King Emeritus

-->
Self-Modifier is on a distinguished road -->
Default G.I. Joe/Transformers Cast List

Warning: Long (but hopefully interesting) Post Follows:

Okay, here's something really weird I did recently: I figured out everyone who has a speaking part (or probably will have a speaking part) in my Joe/TF crossover story, and created a cast list of the actors who would play them. Why did I do this, you ask? Well, I'm kind of a cartoon voice actor aficionado.

In undertaking my task, I set some rules for myself to follow: First I assigned characters to all the voice actors who had portrayed them on the original cartoons. Then, for the one character from the 1982-1986 era who never had a voice (Grand Slam), I assigned an actor who had worked on the original mini-series when he conceivably would have been cast. After this came characters from the post-1986 Real American Hero era, to whom I assigned voice actors who appeared in cartoons back in the day but hadn't appeared on the Joe or TF shows (such as performers from Robotech and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles). Finally, for JvC era characters, I chose some of my favorite modern-day voice actors and "cast" them in the roles of the new Joe recruits.

Yeah, it's kind of a weird thing to do, but I thought it was fun. Hope you guys find it interesting. At the very least, it gives you an appreciation for how many voices some of the old Sunbow crew were able to pull off!

(Note: Some of the original voice actors [namely Scatman Crothers, Ed Gilbert, and Chris Latta] have passed away, but I cast them in their original roles anyway)

G.I. Joe Meets the Transformers
Starring:

Charlie Adler as Low-Light
Jack Angel as Wet-Suit
Liz Aubrey as Cover Girl
Michael Bell as Bombshell, Clutch, Duke, Lift-Ticket, Major Bludd, Prowl, Scrap-Iron, Scrapper, Sideswipe, Xamot
Jeff Bennett as Barricade, Hard-Drive
Gregg Berger as Firefly, Long Haul, Spirit
Steve Blum as Dart, Wide-Scope
Clancy Brown as Barrage
Arthur Burghardt as Destro, Devastator, Stalker
Corey Burton as Shockwave (Decepticon), Spike Witwicky, Sunstreaker, Tomax
William Callaway as Beachhead
Cam Clarke as Spearhead
Townsend Coleman as Psych-Out
Scatman Crothers as Jazz
Peter Cullen as Airborne, Ironhide, Optimus Prime
Keith David as Bullet-Proof
Richard Epcar as Skullbuster
Laurie Faso as Tunnel Rat
Pat Fraley as Ace, Grand Slam, Wild Weasel
Hank Garrett as Dial-Tone
Ed Gilbert as Hawk
Dan Gilvezan as Bumblebee, Slipstream
Mark Hamill as Barrel Roll, Heavy Water
Kene Holliday as Roadblock
Michael Horton as Dogfight, Outback
John Hostetter as Bazooka
Jerry Houser as Sci-Fi
Don Johnson as Falcon
Buster Jones as Doc
Casey Kasem as Bluestreak, Cliffjumper, Dr. Archeville, Teletran-1
Lex Lang as Pathfinder, Shockwave (G.I. Joe)
Chris Latta as Breaker, Cobra Commander, Gung-Ho, Sparkplug Witwicky, Starscream, Steeler, Wheeljack
Loren Lester as Crosshair
Morgan Lofting as The Baroness
Chuck McCann as Leatherneck
Michael McConnohie as Ambush
Mary McDonald-Lewis as Lady Jaye
Don Messick as Scavenger, Ratchet
Bill Morey as Recondo
Ron Ortiz as Law
Rob Paulsen as Hacker
Patrick Pinney as Mainframe
Bill Ratner as Flint
Hal Rayle as Deep-Six, Shrapnel
Neil Ross as Bonecrusher, Dusty, Hook, Shipwreck
Dan Roth as Grunt
Will Ryan as Footloose, Rock n’ Roll
Ken Sansom as Hound
John Stephenson as General Flagg, Thundercracker, Windcharger
Tara Strong as Bombstrike
B.J. Ward as Scarlett
Lee Weaver as Alpine
Frank Welker as Freedom, Frenzy, Laserbeak, Megatron, Mirage, Mixmaster, Order, Ravage, Rumble, Skywarp, Soundwave, Trailbreaker, Wild Bill
Dan Woren as Maverick
Michael Yama as Torpedo

Obviously these are all the American voices, since I don't know anything about if or how these old shows were dubbed into other languages.

Finally, if you watched the old shows, you probably know what most of the old hands on the list sound like. For those who are curious as to the new names, however, here are some of the parts I know them best from:

Jeff Bennett played Brooklyn on Disney's Gargoyles, but he's really been all over the place.
Steve Blum has been in pretty much every dub of every anime ever. He's probably best known as Spike Spiegel in Cowboy Bebop.
Clancy Brown did the voice of Lex Luthor on Superman: The Animated Series. He also does voiceovers for lots of American commercials at the moment, including those for Ford trucks.
Cam Clarke was Leonardo on the original Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles series. He also played Max Sterling on Robotech.
Townsend Coleman has been in the voiceover game for quite a while. His biggest credits are probably Michelangelo from Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and the Tick from the cartoon of the same name.
Keith David was Goliath on Disney's Gargoyles, and a few years ago his voice was in every commercial ever.
Richard Epcar, like Steve Blum, is in every single anime you're ever likely to see. He was Ben Dixon on Robotech, and the things I've heard him in most recently are Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex, where he portrays Batou, and Lupin the Third, where he's Jigen.
Yes, Mark Hamill is the Mark Hamill. Pretty much all he does these days is voiceover work, and his claim to fame is his portrayal of the Joker in Batman: The Animated Series. He can still do a youthful voice too, though, so I've cast him as Barrel Roll in addition to the villainous Heavy Water.
Michael Horton actually played Chip Chase on the old Transformers show, but Chip's not in the story, so I cast him as a couple of ARAH-era Joes.
Could we afford Don Johnson for this production? I don't know. I haven't seen him anywhere since Nash Bridges ended, so I bet he's looking for work-- Otherwise, I'll have to find out who played Falcon in the DiC cartoon!
Lex Lang is another old anime hand. He was Zor Prime on Robotech, and he pops up everywhere nowadays. He did lots of minor voices on Justice League, and plays Goemon in the Lupin the Third second TV series dub.
Loren Lester has done voiceovers for a while now, but his only big role that I know of was as Robin (and later Nightwing) in Batman: The Animated Series.
Michael McConnohie was Tracks on the old Transformers show, but since Tracks isn't in this story, I cast him as Ambush. He's also in lots and lots of anime dubs.
Rob Paulsen was with G.I. Joe from day one as Snow Job, but since Snowy's not in the story but I love Paulsen's voice, I cast him as Hacker. Paulsen also played Raphael on the original Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles show.
Tara Strong is in lots of cartoons these days. She played Batgirl on the New Batman Adventures in the mid-90s, and I think she's a Powerpuff Girl. This is the one choice I'm still unsure of. I don't really think her voice matches how I think Bombstrike should sound, but I really can't pin down just who Bombstrike is in my head. So in the meantime, I've cast an actress with a youthful voice.
And of course, Dan Woren has one of my favorite voices ever. He was Roy Fokker in Robotech, and like many of the others on this list, he's one of the largely under-appreciated guys who dubs anime after anime while "bigger-name" voice talents get all the originally animated parts.

Last edited by Self-Modifier : 06-28-2006 at 09:06 PM.

that sounds awsome!!!
Old 07-10-2006, 02:19 PM #2
bluestalker88
Veteran

-->
bluestalker88 is on a distinguished road -->

Send a message via AIM to bluestalker88 Send a message via Yahoo to bluestalker88
Default that sounds awsome!!!

that would make a great movie if it were to be made, I would go see it in a heart beat

Old 07-10-2006, 07:29 PM #3
Self-Modifier
Crossover King Emeritus

-->

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluestalker88
that would make a great movie if it were to be made, I would go see it in a heart beat

Me too!! It's too bad Hasbro's not really interested in making high-quality cartoons of their properties any more.

And I don't mean to knock Sigma Six when I say that, because the second season looks like it'll be pretty good. But the first left a lot to be desired, as far as I'm concerned. And don't even get me started about the recent Transformers series!!

Old 07-15-2006, 05:49 AM #4
bluestalker88
Veteran

-->

Send a message via AIM to bluestalker88 Send a message via Yahoo to bluestalker88

there is a transformers movie coming out next year, its done with real people.
heres the link for the announcement trailer

http://www.transformersmovie.com/

and at some point there is going to be a G.I. Joe movie done with real people.

heres the link for the script review for the new G.I. Joe movie

http://www.latinoreview.com/scriptreview.php?id=7

Old 07-15-2006, 09:12 AM #5
bluestalker88
Veteran

-->

I have a toyfair magazine may issue and it says that this fall there will be gi joe/ transformers busts from the devils due comics.

I will be posting it soon

Last edited by bluestalker88 : 07-15-2006 at 10:15 AM.

Old 07-15-2006, 07:15 PM #6
Self-Modifier
Crossover King Emeritus

-->

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluestalker88
I have a toyfair magazine may issue and it says that this fall there will be gi joe/ transformers busts from the devils due comics.

I will be posting it soon

Yeah, I've seen some of those. There's a Storm Shadow/Optimus Prims one, and a Baroness/Ravage one, which I really like. Not sure what other ones there are though.