Shutter Speed
Old 10-09-2009, 10:51 PM #1
Sonneilon
aka 'Paul WS Anderson' ;)

-->
Sonneilon is on a distinguished road -->

Send a message via MSN to Sonneilon
Default Shutter Speed

I'll admit it, I'm the anal type when it comes to how my pics should look in terms of clarity, color, crispness, etc. I've been trying to explain to Rambo (the Carlito) that shutter speed can change the COLOR of your shot. It's hard to explain to a guy with a VERY SLOW connection. So for those interested, shutter speed is how fast the shutter snaps off the picture. Slow it down for dark/low-light shots and speed it up for bright, sunny shots! I tend to use the inch scale (that falls under the negative shutter speed) to 1/30 or 1/45 for darker shots. For bright shots, I'll go all the way up to 1/1000. I will NOT discuss FRAME RATE/SPEED cuz I haven't figured that out yet.

This is better shown with example.

Can anyone really see the difference? Maybe not, but when you are doing dios and shots are done in sequences, shutter speed can be huge and one is ALWAYS having to adjust it because one moves the light source and/or the camera. What works in one instance might not if you move the camera over 3 inches or whatever.

Now can you see the differences? The fact is, those walls that make up the set are gray. PURE grayscale. (well, the door frames are brightly colored but i'm not talking about those.) So therefore, WHY are there greenish areas??? Shutter speed on YOUR manual settings can throw the colors off if shooting in succession. You don't want prefectly gray walls in 1 shot then green, yellow or reddish shots.

This doesn't just apply to your walls. It also applies to your lighting. You can shoot a regular shot with regular lighting. Change the shutter speed, you can suddenly get YELLOWS or ORANGES at the wrong speeds!

Like I said, this is for Rambo. It takes a more anal eye to see it, but some of us have a particular look for things and if the colors don't show up right, nuts!

Old 10-09-2009, 10:58 PM #2
Rambo
ARAH for O-ringers

-->
Rambo is on a distinguished road -->

Send a message via MSN to Rambo

Gracias for the tuto!

HEROES DON'T DIE, THEY JUST RELOAD

Old 10-10-2009, 05:13 AM #3
Scuba Steve
lives in armored pinapple

-->
Scuba Steve is on a distinguished road -->

Thats some extream attention to detail there Sonn! knowing your ideal ISO settings help with darker shots too, but I am far from the master of night shots yet!

Old 10-10-2009, 12:33 PM #4
Sonneilon

-->

Film speed is the measure of a photographic film's sensitivity to light, determined by sensitometry and measured on various numerical scales, the most recent being the ISO system. Relatively insensitive film, with a correspondingly lower speed index requires more exposure to light to produce the same image density as a more sensitive film, and is thus commonly termed a slow film. Highly sensitive films are correspondingly termed fast films. A closely related ISO system is used to measure the sensitivity of digital imaging systems. In both digital and film photography, the reduction of exposure corresponding to use of higher sensitivities generally leads to reduced image quality (via coarser film grain or higher image noise of other types).

I tend to shoot at 100 ISO myself. And then sharpen images ala my foto editing program.

Old 10-10-2009, 12:50 PM #5
Sonneilon

-->

Here's another 4 shots. When I shoot, I take multiple shots. The last two scenes I did had 65-67 shots EACH. When I go sort thru them, I might use anywhere between 6-20 shots. ie; one sequence was shot 65 times for 21 USUABLE shots.

The reason for doing many shots of the same angle is that I'm playing with shutter speed.

Oops, the speed was too slow. It let too much light in.

D'oh! Too dark!

Hey this looks ok! BUT in terms of a dio and doing things in an order, the walls MAY or MAY NOT be consistent in terms of color. While this can work, I won't notice the reddish tints until I look at the next frame.

So here, the walls look more gray as I want them to be. The rest of the scene, I try to make the walls VERY consistent. I can't go reddish one frame then gray the next then green then gray... Therefore, THIS shot will be the one I end up using. THIS part of the process is ONLY me sorting. The next step is to crop, resize, sharpen and then add effects. (like the green screens on the wall will be painted black and have some sort of text OR pictures).

So by no means am I a good fotographer. A real fotographer can probably get what they want in just a few shots. That's why the wonders of the digital camera era has made EVERYONE a fotographer! Cuz we can take a ton of shots, never run out of 'film', throw away what we don't like and in theory, show off the best stuff!

Old 12-11-2009, 03:15 PM #6
Trench-Viper
Veteran

-->
Trench-Viper is on a distinguished road -->

This article helped me a lot!!! Thanks!

Old 12-11-2009, 07:04 PM #7
Otto the Otter
"Toot" Spelled inside out

-->
Otto the Otter will become famous soon enough -->

Plus a good fotographer would know to spell it photographer!

I took photography waaaaay back in 7th and 8th grade and lot of it's coming back to me. The advantage to digital cameras, especially those with the screen on the back, is that you can see your shot right away. Even with the little screen on the back, I've had to shoot the scene again simply because the little screen doesn't show as clearlly if you're out of focus.

I got my digi-cam from eBay and it didn't come with an instruction manual, so I'm messing around with the settings so I can get some low light shots. Photo editing software helps, but it's no substitiue for a real shot in low light.

What you were poining out about the colours that "appear" that aren't really there is something that drives me nuts as well. I can spot faked photos almost right away and there are times that sorta ruins an otherwise nice photo for me. Almost like musically inclined people with perfect pitch, it's a blessing and a curse. Outrider's great arial shots aren't ruined for me simply because I know they're fake, but he does a great job to make them look real, so they're not ruinied for me, however looking at an auto broshure a few years ago, it hurt to look at the pictures because the vehicles were shot in studio and superimposed over an outside shot. Some were obvious like a truck in snow with no tire tracks around or shadows in the background facing a different direction from the foreground, while other the hints of fakery were much more subtle.

One thing I love about this site is the it's not only a site for collecters of our favorite Real American Hero, but it's also a great photography site.

Some people, when trying to avoid thinking about those things that cause them pain, turn to drink, or perhaps food, or drugs... I turn not to any of those... I collect action figures, turning my mind to the hunt, so that I might find a mote of peace... Over the years, I've found that alcoholism is much more socially acceptable by far.

Old 12-17-2009, 09:04 PM #8
Sonneilon

-->

I use the term "fotographer" for those of us not properly trained in photography or can be considered a "photographer". Fotographer and Fotos are for those of us who do stuff on the fly and don't spend hours on a single event being recorded. Take the people who do sports (or action) photography and can get it well. I've yet to get there. To shoot on manual settings as opposed to SCENE, those guys have it down well with their SLR and their damn special lenses!