JoeDios.com Forums  

Go Back   JoeDios.com Forums > Discussion Forums > JoeDioes.com Forum
User Name
Password

Chemical reaction with enamel paint thinner...
Old 06-30-2009, 10:20 PM #1
Death_at_Midnight
Cobra R & D

-->
Death_at_Midnight is on a distinguished road -->
Default Chemical reaction with enamel paint thinner...

Greetings!

Never ever use Testors enamel paint thinner to remove enamel spray paint from a flexible Microman hand.

Bit of a warning to those who customize.... I am in the process of customizing a figure and had just painted some hands from a microman figure. These hands were a rubbery plastic--hard yet slightly flexible. First paint was a Krylon brand formulated for plastic. It worked well. Then the second coat was a white enamel. Well, the enamel wasn't drying, so I started wiping it off. Then I thought I would get clever and use some enamel paint thinner... big mistake. The paint thinner took off the enamel, and also the first layer of rubbery plastic. More wiping and more of the plastic would slime right off. It obviously had a chemical reaction and turned that rubber into a slime that would come off on my fingers, and everywhere.

Can not recover. Four good pairs of expensive Microman hands are destroyed.

Old 07-01-2009, 04:50 PM #2
Dreadnok Dread
The Dreaded Cuban

-->
Dreadnok Dread is on a distinguished road -->

Send a message via AIM to Dreadnok Dread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Death_at_Midnight
Greetings!

Never ever use Testors enamel paint thinner to remove enamel spray paint from a flexible Microman hand.

Bit of a warning to those who customize.... I am in the process of customizing a figure and had just painted some hands from a microman figure. These hands were a rubbery plastic--hard yet slightly flexible. First paint was a Krylon brand formulated for plastic. It worked well. Then the second coat was a white enamel. Well, the enamel wasn't drying, so I started wiping it off. Then I thought I would get clever and use some enamel paint thinner... big mistake. The paint thinner took off the enamel, and also the first layer of rubbery plastic. More wiping and more of the plastic would slime right off. It obviously had a chemical reaction and turned that rubber into a slime that would come off on my fingers, and everywhere.

Can not recover. Four good pairs of expensive Microman hands are
destroyed.

that sucks bro! Most plastic will have a reaction with any thinner, I found that out the hard way myself. I use testors plastic enamel paint and I usually dry it with a heatgun or you can use a blow dryer both from far away as well not to melt the plastic. If you want it to dry fast because you don't have alot of time to waste you should look into acrylic paint. If you like the testors and want to clean something I recommend taking a q-tip that has thinner and one that does not. Start to take the color off with the q-tip that has thinner then wipe it with the q-tip that does not this way you are removing the paint but not adding any more thinner to the plastic. I usually lay a layer of primer with krylon paint thats for plastic. then I will layer acrylic little by little onto what I am painting. If your home is humid or its to cold the enamel paint will take longer to dry/cure so acrylic might be the solution.

peace

Old 07-01-2009, 10:20 PM #3
Outrider
It's been a great ride!

-->
Outrider is on a distinguished road -->

Send a message via MSN to Outrider Send a message via Yahoo to Outrider

I use enamels as well, but instead of thinner I use mineral turpentine for clean up, etc. It does just as good a job but is alot more mild, but still try it on a piece of non-critcal plastic first!