Password

CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM initiative
Old 01-31-2012, 11:25 PM #1
troopsofdoom
Troops of Doom

-->
troopsofdoom is on a distinguished road -->
Default CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM initiative

It's been mentioned numerous times that JoeDios lacks constructive criticism. I agree, I would like to get some real critiques on my photos. I've also been reluctant to leave it because you never know who really wants it or can actually handle it. I have an idea to get the ball rolling for those who want to participate. At the end of each photo description simply add:

Constructive criticism please. (Or just CCP.)

This will indicate that you are open to all criticisms down to the smallest detail from any member.

Constructive criticism needs to be more than saying you don't like something or that it's wrong. Include advice on how it can be improved or fixed. That's the constructive part.

No signups. Purely optional, anyone can participate. Members can join in or stop at any time by adding, or not adding, CCP to their photo description.

-----

What does everyone think? It's simple enough that it could work.

Old 01-31-2012, 11:52 PM #2
pbarny1701
Teaching The Next Gen

-->
pbarny1701 is on a distinguished road -->

Send a message via AIM to pbarny1701 Send a message via MSN to pbarny1701 Send a message via Yahoo to pbarny1701

I'd welcome it for what little I post.

Saying nice job is meaningless. Nice job of what?

If a picture is blurry, and you say work on focus, work on focus how? If you can't say more than 4 words and the person's name, why bother?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Friedman
In China, Bill Gates is Britney Spears. In America, Britney Spears is Britney Spears. That's our problem

My Blog, Pics and More
Customs Blog
Add Yoursel to MY MAP
Me on Facebook

Is for constructive criticism (will even settle for destructive) just anything but "Nice shot" or "Awesome".

Old 02-01-2012, 07:57 AM #3
zedhatch
Veteran

-->
zedhatch is on a distinguished road -->

I'll give it a shot.

http://www.zedsjoesite.com Home Scale Wars updated Mon-Fri Every Week

Old 02-01-2012, 06:10 PM #4
Flatline
THEY ARE NOT DOLLS!!!

-->
Flatline is on a distinguished road -->

Sounds good add it to all my previous shots LOL

Old 02-03-2012, 01:35 AM #5
battlewagon
Banned

-->
battlewagon is on a distinguished road -->

I like this idea. JoeDios is my favorite website because members treat each other with respect and appropriate language. In other forums, I've seen all kinds of disgusting, repulsive, offensive, sickening and negative criticism.

I embrace positive feedback and constructive criticism. I just hope that people uphold the principles of leaving appropriate constructive criticism that doesn't bully, offend, discourage, or degrade.

Based on my own experience, I have already dealt with at least two website forums where people treat each other like dirt. Thankfully, I don't plan on ever returning to those websites.

Old 02-03-2012, 03:29 PM #6
yorktownjoe
Enjoying the season

-->
yorktownjoe is on a distinguished road -->

I like this, because I have received photography help and tips from others. I have also become more picky about my own photos (especially with lighting and focus).

For example, I was told early on how to bounce light off another surface (like white card-stock) to cast indirect lighting on a subject rather than direct lighting. The fellow member mentioned this would help me to minimize glare in an over-exposed photo I had posted.

Since then I have experimented with all kinds of lighting tricks in order to improve lighting. I have appreciated the help of others with photography, special effects and other set and background ideas.

A good rule: "Take advice from those who care; take no offense when none is intended."

Old 02-03-2012, 04:25 PM #7
Nekoman
keyboard commando

-->
Nekoman is on a distinguished road -->

The only thing I don't like is having to specifically ask for constructive criticism.I mean, there's always room to improve, but if you specifically ask for criticism, people will dig for something to point to rather than leave their natural impressions. You would be asking for such a response, after all. Likewise, without asking for it, people are still afraid to give their natural impressions which may include criticism.

The site here needs something, but I'm just not sure what. I do like the push here for constructive criticism, I just can't imagine it getting us far in bringing up the quality on the poorer pics on the site. Hope that doesn't sound like a downer.

Star Wars Box | The Viper Pit

Old 02-03-2012, 07:16 PM #8
troopsofdoom
Troops of Doom

-->
troopsofdoom is on a distinguished road -->

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nekoman
The only thing I don't like is having to specifically ask for constructive criticism.I mean, there's always room to improve, but if you specifically ask for criticism, people will dig for something to point to rather than leave their natural impressions. You would be asking for such a response, after all. Likewise, without asking for it, people are still afraid to give their natural impressions which may include criticism.

The site here needs something, but I'm just not sure what. I do like the push here for constructive criticism, I just can't imagine it getting us far in bringing up the quality on the poorer pics on the site. Hope that doesn't sound like a downer.

I think asking for constructive criticism is the only way it's gonna happen because even the out of focus pictures of figures stuck on a display stand on the kitchen counter get "great shot" comments. If those of us who want to improve participate and set a positive example, maybe the people just starting out and the low-quality contributors will want to join in and step up their game. Those of us who want the quality standards to rise need to lead by example.

Old 02-03-2012, 08:39 PM #9
savage21
Veteran

-->
savage21 is on a distinguished road -->

I will do what I can, shouldnt be too hard

Old 02-06-2012, 10:06 PM #10
Dreadnok Dread
The Dreaded Cuban

-->
Dreadnok Dread is on a distinguished road -->

Send a message via AIM to Dreadnok Dread

Quote:
Originally Posted by troopsofdoom
I think asking for constructive criticism is the only way it's gonna happen because even the out of focus pictures of figures stuck on a display stand on the kitchen counter get "great shot" comments. If those of us who want to improve participate and set a positive example, maybe the people just starting out and the low-quality contributors will want to join in and step up their game. Those of us who want the quality standards to rise need to lead by example.

Those of us who want the quality standards to rise need to lead by example.
Took the words right out of my mouth!
count all of my shots for sure!