Password

Simple brick or block wall
Old 12-13-2008, 08:11 AM #1
vader9900
To old to play with toys!

-->
vader9900 is on a distinguished road -->
Default Simple brick or block wall

This is a how-to on building a simple but effective block or brick wall as seen HERE.
I am going to build a small sample wall here for reference, the one I used in my picture is 16" wide & 12" tall. The wall is simply foam core, I use the black type because it takes paint better than the white. It is easy to find, available at WalMart. The first thing you want to do is sand the side you are going to be working on. This will give you a little texture to your blocks.

Next we are going to draw out our blocks. I know some of you are artist and can do this freehand, I am not, so I use a pencil & a ruler. First the rows:

I am going to make 1" x 1/2" blocks, so the rows are marked every 1/2" down the foam core. I then mark each block at 1" intervals across alternating every other row by 1/2" to offset your blocks

Every other row offset by 1/2

"It ain't about how hard you hit, but how hard you can get hit, how much you can take and keep moving forward - thats how winning is done!" Rocky Balboa

Old 12-13-2008, 08:26 AM #2
vader9900

-->

After you have your blocks drawn out, its time to emboss the blocks into the foam core. I used a wooden stylus, it is for sculpting with clay, I think I got it at Michaels. Any tool with a blunt tip will work.

You don't want the tool to be sharp because you do not want to puncture the outer paper of the foam core (notice I did in the bottom left corner below). A ball point pen will work well too. Take your stylus and rub back and forth over your lines to make a indentation in the paper of the foam core. Make it as deep as you can without puncturing the paper.

Then round all the corners of your bricks

Add some character - put as much or as little detail into it as you like.

"It ain't about how hard you hit, but how hard you can get hit, how much you can take and keep moving forward - thats how winning is done!" Rocky Balboa

Last edited by vader9900 : 12-13-2008 at 08:53 AM.

Old 12-13-2008, 08:32 AM #3
vader9900

-->

Time to paint. First coat will be a heavy drybrush. I use all Testors acrylic paints. The base is Battle Ship Grey, but any dark grey will work.

Foam core will warp when it gets wet and allowed to air dry, acrylic paints are water based. I use a heat gun (a hair dryer will work too). It speeds up the drying time & it prevents warping. Next layer is a heavy black wash (25% black paint to 75% water)

Make sure your wash gets down in your embossed cracks & crevases. Again use your heat gun. Make sure the wash is completely dry before proceeding. Then a light drybrush of olive drab.

Then a very light drybrush of light grey

Thin out your black wash by 50% and give it another light coat, there again getting it in all the cracks. I sprayed mine down with Testors Dull Coat to seal the paint and to minimize reflection. Add figures & photograph!

Hope this helps! It actually took more time to write up this how-to than it did to make the wall. Dave

Last edited by vader9900 : 12-13-2008 at 08:47 AM.

Old 12-13-2008, 10:47 AM #4
Sgt_DP
The Man Behind the Camera

-->
Sgt_DP is on a distinguished road -->

That is very cool and simple to do. Thanks for the "How to". That looks great. To think how much I spent on some coble stone and other bricks that looked no where near as good as this...

Old 12-13-2008, 03:15 PM #5
Tracker
Veteran

-->
Tracker is on a distinguished road -->

That is very effective yet simple. Thanks

Old 12-13-2008, 09:17 PM #6
Rambo
ARAH for O-ringers

-->
Rambo is on a distinguished road -->

Send a message via MSN to Rambo