Thread: New Sculpts
View Single Post

Old 07-22-2006, 06:41 PM #14
Buckwheat826
Veteran

-->
Buckwheat826 is on a distinguished road -->

I love them but admit they are not for everyone. Only a few come bone stock perfect to my satisfaction.

As a kid I collected the originals from the start but they were lost from moving around. I too got a fresh start in mid 2004.
Quote:
Personally where I stand on it all; the 2002+ relaunch was a 2nd chance at GI Joe for me.

In fact, I had never seen the new stuff until my Bro-in-law introduced the Spytroops Cobra Commander, and Viper/Alley ViperII figs. I didn't think much at first but was later taken by the detail and how much more life like they look than the vintage ARAH.

The sculpts from the Valor Venom and fresh DTC molds are the best. They finally found the right scale, proportion, art and detail, etc.

Spytroops is 20/80. There are a few good figs in the line, but half are 4" (Shipwreck????). The color schemes are mostly not too my tastes either. I can't stand the "monkey" elbow joints. Blackout is now a popular character in Hasbro's eyes but the figure sucks. I excuse the height issue, but the arm joints and body detail doesn't put a smile on my face. (thus why I don't use the DTC Bludd)

My biggest regret out of these is Flint. The head sculpt is perfect but his body proportion results are caricature. WHY?!!!

JvC is unsightly. Hasbro should have left the design team wherever they found them. Blowtorch???? I would never collect new sculpt if not for the VV line.

As for themes, who cares. I just want the figures. We all have our own Joeverse realms and ideas.

To wrap up, I only enjoy the new sculpt figs but am selective to the later series style stuff. They are usually not perfect and am thankful I have somewhat of artistic ability to "correct" the flaws to my liking. I suppose this is why the Joe business is a "hobby". I hope Hasbro continues to make them but with care.