Thread: New Sculpts
View Single Post

Old 07-21-2006, 08:06 PM #12
Sonneilon
aka 'Paul WS Anderson' ;)

-->
Sonneilon is on a distinguished road -->

Send a message via MSN to Sonneilon

Ya gotta figure that VenMax is a redux of Serpentor.

Personally where I stand on it all; the 2002+ relaunch was a 2nd chance at GI Joe for me. I never had a full collection as a kid of ARAH. Plus, I quit around, I dunno, right around the movie days. 1990s+, HA! Never knew they existed. Mani-what??? In any case, back in 2002, I was living in the University District (of Seattle), was dirt poor and I saw these things at Target up by Northgate. I figured, "hell, I'm in debt consolidation, I have a few dollars, might as well buy some happiness since my living situation was horrid." Frostbite vs NeoViper.

And then I found the Devils Due website and hooked up with a whole community of guys who bought the toys and for the most part, DUG the new line. When the posse left to become SavageSoundoffs (aka SgtSavage.com), the toy group left and well, my views on things were swayed pretty hardcore. Coulda been considered a sheep, even.

Personally, I prefer the new sculpt stuff to ARAH. It has to do with it being a revamp. It has to do with, for the most part, tighter sculpting, an update of characters (ie; modernization which seemed to end up going backwards), and well, it was something for me to waste money on. It's a whole 'nother Joe line and I NEVER mixed the two. The ARAH sat in an old APC until I sold the single figures on EBAY. I didn't want to live in the past. And honestly, I don't miss them. (However, if they were all MOC, it'd be a small, but neat collection.)

I enjoyed JvC for the potential storylines. I was ok with the figures because I didn't know better. (lol)

Spy Troops I didn't quite understand. EagleEyeJoe would clue me in that Hasbro was doing themes each year. Spy Troops was cool but it never pushed the envelope for enough for me. At this point, everyone was wanting a cartoon, y'know? I wanted the DD comic to use the toys more.

VvV. I'm one of the few who enjoyed it. VenMax doesn't exist in my 'verse, but the V-Troops do. (as exampled in my dio) There were a lot of missed throughout the whole shebang, but I kept a whole lotta figures I love the most. Which might account for 30% of the figures released? If anything... That dio I've been working on... If the RRTS ALL had the SawViper body in Rollbar colors and w/ different heads (ie; customs), it would have been perfect. A uniform look is what I'd love. Unfortunately, what Hasbro believes to be uniform is different than mine; I have to go by them.

As for VvV... It wasn't the deth of teh line. In fact, it was extended for half a year. Wave7? That was Wave1 of Robot Rebellion (aka Rise of the Robots). There were a few factors into the demise of the 3.75" Joes in the brick 'n mortar stores. One was George Lucas and Star Wars. If you consider the timeframe, VvV would have been winding down and preparing for the next theme. But Lucas wanted NO COMPETITOR to his SW toys that would be launched that late-fall/Winter (for X-Mas). At the same time, Hasbro called the "HIATUS" and the announcement of Sigma6 came out. Consider too that Billy Lagor suddenly says, "Oh, we have a collector line only available online. We'll call it DIRECT TO CONSUMER (DTC)."

In the end, we see the demise of the 3.75". There is the theory that we haven't had the hiatus YET! THe hiatus is actually NOW. Wave4 has already been done and just needs to be packaged up and shipped out, right? We all know that the initial figures were done half a year ago. It's also been released from Dwight Stall that they are hard at work at the 25th Anniversary GI Joe (3.75") and the key term is "SUPER-ARTICULATION".

Hasbro, as it stands now, is pushing Sigma6. Is it GI Joe Extreme? NO. It has been received far better than GI Joe Extreme ever did. (IMO, Extreme SUCKED) You can say what you want about it, but Sigma6 has 2 scales now because sales have indicated it can be supported. It's hard to dis once you get the 8" figures in hand and see what they are capable of. AND they are the best game in town, to many folk. (I wouldn't know better.)

I don't think anyone knows what to expect of the 25th Anniversary stuff. Will it be rehashes of the 2002+ stuff? Repaints? There's probably only 1 guy who knows and he ain't talking. (ok, maybe 3 guys)

And just so you know... That Steel Brigade vs Plague Troopers pack, the file cards were written by a friend (also a JBL and JoeSightings member) and Brandon Jerwa of GI Joe fame. Unfortunately, ALL the other work they've put into Hasbro, it's hard to see if it'll see light. I hope it does because both guys know what they are doing.