View Single Post

Old 01-27-2008, 07:37 PM #7
Sonneilon
aka 'Paul WS Anderson' ;)

-->
Sonneilon is on a distinguished road -->

Send a message via MSN to Sonneilon

Let's skip ahead just a tiny bit.

I learned this type of construction from Luke Ellison. If he hadn't taught me how to do this, then I would've thought like a carpentor/CAD artist. I would've built a frame out of wood, painted it, etc. Foamboard is sooooo much easier. But like I said, it depends on the look you want. Please view the examples.

Example 01. This is a perfect representation of 2 walls and the end of a corridor. The end of the corridor, it's just a door, right? Like what we're building now in this tutorial. BUT there's a difference here. I used one of my trusty bases, had the walls set up and simply SET the end wall on the edges! I didn't L-Bracket the end of the corridor! Notice too that I didn't frame the door. It's just a sliding door. Short-sighted? Not really. I did this how many years ago. Like I stated before, I want to step things up a notch or 12.

Also, if you look at the walls closely, you'll see I used an ink pen to create it's dimension. This too was a Luke Ellison technique. Supposed to look like panels AND it's supposed to look like a fairly sterile installation (despite the red lighting). Think Star Trek before Aliens on that one, yah?

Example 02. Just because you do everything by the numbers doesn't mean that it'll all fit for some reason. If you look hard enough, you can see that my segments of wall aren't quite flush. If you look hard enough, you can see that this shot took 3 sections. I usually try to PAINT out the inconsistencies but it don't always work. lol.

Example 03. Computer console to get into lab is too big. No framing on door. Segments of floor different colored. Fortunately, it's the action that is focused on by the viewer. But if you start to analyze it... D'oh???

More coming in a few days. Thanks for reading.