View Single Post

Old 03-26-2016, 02:43 PM #9
Mike T.
Veteran

-->
Mike T. is on a distinguished road -->

In '86, I had a ton of lawn mowing money and bought pretty much any toy I wanted. I spent that summer updating my '85 figures that had gotten trashed. At the same time, I was picking up the battle field playsets from earlier years that still hung around at TRU.

In May, I called the local TRU to see if they had a Havoc. They did. Afraid they'd sell out, I had them hold one for me. My mom took me to get it on the Sunday of the Indianapolis 500. (I was from Indy and that was a still a big deal back then.) That year, it absolutely poured on race day. My Dad and brother had gone to the race, so I got my new toy home and played with it in with no hassle from my brothers in front of the huge picture window in my parent's living room as the rain deluge continued for hours outside. Still remember that like it was yesterday.

In the fall, my neighbor gave me a $50 bill to take care of his house that winter while he was in AZ. I had never had such a denomination. I took it to TRU and bought myself a Tomahawk. That Friday, a friend of mine came over. We played with the Tomahawk bombing "Viet Cong" Quick Kick armed with an AK 47 while we listened to his new Bon Jovi cassette.

Good times.