View Single Post

Old 09-06-2010, 02:28 PM #8
Otto the Otter
"Toot" Spelled inside out

-->
Otto the Otter will become famous soon enough -->

That Conquest looks good in those colours. I love the detail painting under the access panels.

Painting it in F-16 colours and markings is appropriate. Back in the '80s, the Chair Force, General Dynamics and a couple other outfits like that actually took an F-16 airframe and put foreward swept wings on it. The X-29 experimental plane was undergoing tests at that time to see how foreward swept wings would work for an aircraft of that type. The AF experimented with the F-16 frame for cost cutting measures. Start with a plane that exists and redesigning one small part is a lot cheaper than building a whole new plane, where they'd need to build a new assembly line as well as have the engineers go through all the other testing as well that had already been accomplishied with the F-16.
I guess it did OK, but not well enough to go into production or they decided to scrap the idea or it wasn't enough of an improvment over the original design.

Adding real tail markings will look really good on your Conquest. I'm not too familiar with AF tail markings, but I know the Navy had some really cool looking markings in the '80s. The Wolf Pack, Pukin' Dogs, Jolly Rogers and Sun Downers had some of the coolest. Then I guess they decided that having bright colours on an otherwise grey and subdued camouflaged plane didn't really work. Then the markings stayed roughly the same, but instead f the bright colours, theny became more subdued and blended with the grey of the plane.

Maybe in an alternate universe, the Conquest X-30 is the F-30 Conquest and part of the evolution of the foreward swept wing F-16 Falcon design.

Some people, when trying to avoid thinking about those things that cause them pain, turn to drink, or perhaps food, or drugs... I turn not to any of those... I collect action figures, turning my mind to the hunt, so that I might find a mote of peace... Over the years, I've found that alcoholism is much more socially acceptable by far.